• Register
  • Help

Topic: Any success converting GOS to newer sample player formats?

Share/Bookmark

Any success converting GOS to newer sample player formats?

Hi, I am wondering if anyone watching this forum (is anyone still watching this forum?) has had any success converting GOS to any of the newer sample players. My Windows 95 Gigastudio machine has been dead a long time, and I miss some of the more unusual GOS articulations that were not included in GPO (col legno, for instance), not to mention the Maestro Tools controls, which I have accepted there is no hope of resurrecting.

I currently use Kontakt 3 on a Mac, and have tried converting using it, Kontakt 2.5, and Chicken Systems Translator for Mac. None of them produce usable conversions fro the original Giga format out-of-the-box, and I don't want to spend days and days tracking down and manually adjusting for the problems, possibly to no avail.

Any advice? Solutions?

If you have done this successfully, consider marketing your conversion settings to augment your income.

Re: Any success converting GOS to newer sample player formats?

I still watch the forum since I get email alerts. I also have the original Garritan Strings at about $1000 cost. Have you tried the latest Kontakt 5? Have you tried contacting Garritan?

Quote Originally Posted by SPF View Post
    Hi, I am wondering if anyone watching this forum (is anyone still watching this forum?) has had any success converting GOS to any of the newer sample players. My Windows 95 Gigastudio machine has been dead a long time, and I miss some of the more unusual GOS articulations that were not included in GPO (col legno, for instance), not to mention the Maestro Tools controls, which I have accepted there is no hope of resurrecting.

I currently use Kontakt 3 on a Mac, and have tried converting using it, Kontakt 2.5, and Chicken Systems Translator for Mac. None of them produce usable conversions fro the original Giga format out-of-the-box, and I don't want to spend days and days tracking down and manually adjusting for the problems, possibly to no avail.

Any advice? Solutions?

If you have done this successfully, consider marketing your conversion settings to augment your income.

yeah it has been mighty dead here. I use GOS in Logic (EXS) and I've been hoping for some kind of update. It seems like GOS has been abandoned and is now a "Legacy" product.
    JP

I have not tried Kontakt 5, and do not want to pay for the upgrade unless I am sure it will work, as anytime I upgrade Kontakt, it seriously disrupts my workflow in DP. But thanks for the suggestion.

I wonder if MOTU MachFive could play GOS. Their new version 3 marketing hype reads as follows:
    "MachFive directly reads all major 3rd-party hardware/software sampler formats, including Kontakt, Giga, EXS24 and HALion, plus legacy formats from Kurzweil, Akai, Roland, Ensoniq, Sample Cell, and many others."

I will contact MOTU and Garritan to see what they say and post back here afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by SPF View Post
    I have not tried Kontakt 5, and do not want to pay for the upgrade unless I am sure it will work, as anytime I upgrade Kontakt, it seriously disrupts my workflow in DP. But thanks for the suggestion.

I wonder if MOTU MachFive could play GOS. Their new version 3 marketing hype reads as follows:
    "MachFive directly reads all major 3rd-party hardware/software sampler formats, including Kontakt, Giga, EXS24 and HALion, plus legacy formats from Kurzweil, Akai, Roland, Ensoniq, Sample Cell, and many others."

I will contact MOTU and Garritan to see what they say and post back here afterward.

Yes, I noticed the recent add for MOTU Machfive version 3. Eventually, I think we will be able to resurrect Garritan strings, although with Symphobia and Vienna strings, I'm not sure how useful it will be if you have those products.

Bill

Go Back to forum