• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Dancing With Kate in Ireland" - Make Music contest entry

Share/Bookmark

"Dancing With Kate in Ireland" - Make Music contest entry

I'm glad to see fellow Garritan community contestants are posting their entries. Here's mine.

When I asked my wife what country I should choose as our potential destination (part of the contest guidelines), she said Ireland - She's had a lifelong dream of visiting her ancestral home.

So I used that odd little motif MM posted, and used mostly World folk instruments to come up with my Irish-tinged entry.

The picture was taken last weekend when Kate and I were at the coast - I think it suits well to show the kind of way she'll embrace Ireland when we finally get to go there.

"Dancing With Kate in Ireland"

Most instruments are from Garritan World. Those not are labelled:

Dulcimer
    Fiddle
    Celtic Harp
    Uilleann Pipes
    3 Pipe drones
    Tin Whistle
    Irish Flute
    Bodhran
    Concertina
    Mandolin

Clave - GPO
    The Garritan Stradivari (the discontinued solo violin)
    The Garritan Gofriller (the discontinued solo cello)
    String Bass - JABB

--Strings from GPO:
    Full Strings
    Violin solo 2
    1st Strings
    Violin solo 1
    2nd Strings
    Viola
    Violas
    Cello solo 1
    Cellos
    Bass solo
    Basses

Randy

Re: "Dancing With Kate in Ireland" - Make Music contest entry

Nice job Randy, I hope you get to take your trip anyways!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jdsnyderii View Post
    Nice job Randy, I hope you get to take your trip anyways!!!
    Thank you, Jim!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    I'm glad to see fellow Garritan community contestants are posting their entries. Here's mine.

When I asked my wife what country I should choose as our potential destination (part of the contest guidelines), she said Ireland - She's had a lifelong dream of visiting her ancestral home.

So I used that odd little motif MM posted, and used mostly World folk instruments to come up with my Irish-tinged entry.

The picture was taken last weekend when Kate and I were at the coast - I think it suits well to show the kind of way she'll embrace Ireland when we finally get to go there.

"Dancing With Kate in Ireland"

Most instruments are from Garritan World. Those not are labelled:

Dulcimer
    Fiddle
    Celtic Harp
    Uilleann Pipes
    3 Pipe drones
    Tin Whistle
    Irish Flute
    Bodhran
    Concertina
    Mandolin

Clave - GPO
    The Garritan Stradivari (the discontinued solo violin)
    The Garritan Gofriller (the discontinued solo cello)
    String Bass - JABB

--Strings from GPO:
    Full Strings
    Violin solo 2
    1st Strings
    Violin solo 1
    2nd Strings
    Viola
    Violas
    Cello solo 1
    Cellos
    Bass solo
    Basses

Randy
    Less than a year ago I found that I am of Scotch-Irish descent. Born and adopted in 1942, it was a major up-hill effort to finally find out anything about my natal heritage. I found that interesting because I have always had a love of Celtic music, rainy places and the sea. Your music is a most excellent representation of that area. I wish you the best.

Lovely, Randy!

You have a nice Irish feel to this. It is amazing with all these entries and all the destinations in the world that so many diverse styles can be done.

Well done, well done!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Excellent entry, Randy. Great use of the instruments - the flute really sells that Irish sound - nothing more so than the bodhran though.

Hope you do get to come here at some point - kicking it up in some pub down the country side with a full traditional band and a pint of Guinness.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Ah! Take me home. Every time I hear uilleann pipes the sound transports my spirit to a place of nastagia and comfort. Loved it.
    ~Rodney

Fellow Forum members who jumped into the Finale contest fray, even though we knew in January that it was a whack way to conduct a music contest - YAAAAH US! All of us did Garritan proud with our entries, and as far as I'm concerned, we're all winners.

Tom, Rich, Graham, Rodney, and Jim - thanks much for your posts, guys - and for your wishes that Kate and I make it someday to the Emerald Isle. It's an eventuality to be devoutly wished for!

Randy

Wow! It's a wondeful piece...
    I contains the esence of Ireland (or what I think it is... since I haven't ever been to Ireland, unfortunately).
    Anyways, I love the music you all are uploiding. They make me think about the long long way I have to endure...
    But I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by pistolilla View Post
    Wow! It's a wondeful piece...
    I contains the esence of Ireland (or what I think it is... since I haven't ever been to Ireland, unfortunately).
    Anyways, I love the music you all are uploiding. They make me think about the long long way I have to endure...
    But I love it!
    Well hello there, Pistolilla - Thanks for your post! I've never been to Ireland either - hope to visit there someday. I used my imagination while I wrote this, coming up with something that felt a bit Irish to me.

The challenge was in using the motif all of these had to be based on - it's a string of notes that would Never be used in folk music like this. I had to make that work. Mine was one of the few (the only?) piece in 3/4 time, and so I re-wrote the original 4/4 rhythm to fit my piece. The contest rules said that changing rhythm was fine, as long as the sequence of 7 notes wasn't change. It made for an interesting part of this challenge.

We usually post music in The Listening Room, but I felt it would be nice for those of who entered to share them all here in General Discussion which has most of the Garritan traffic.

Thanks again - hope to see you again soon.

Randy

Go Back to forum