• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Velocity dynamic range": What's That!!??

\"Velocity dynamic range\": What\'s That!!??

I\'ve been using this program for about a year and I still don\'t know EXACTLY what it means!

And while I\'m at it, is there any way in edit mode to return all instrument values to their default settings? (Rather than having to reload the whole instrument if you\'ve gummed things up with bad edits.)

Re: \"Velocity dynamic range\": What\'s That!!??

Velocity Dynamic Range refers to how much affect notes with different velocities have on the filter or volume etc.,
    If you have low dynmamic range the difference between soft keystrokes and hard is minimal, whereas if you have high dynamic range, you get a huge difference between soft and hard strokes. Like velocity curves on a lot of modules.

As far as a default return in edit mode - I don\'t think there is one. But you could select all regions and edit each function in case values and apply that to all regions. That would kind of work. You might find yourself having to alter values which are already the way you want them away and back to the correct setting so that the editor realises that those values are also to be applied - otherwise I think it only applies altered values and leaves untouched ones alone.

Thanks, Chadwick. I take it velocity sensitivity, then, affects the degree to which the FILTER, say lowpass for example, operates relative to a given velocity. So a loud note will have more lowpass filtering where the velocity range is more dynamic, and less filtering where the note is played quietly?

Hey John,
    You\'ve kind of got it.
    \'Louder\' notes put out more velocity.
    The effect of a filter is the opposite to what you\'re thinking though.
    Generally, increases in velocity (louder notes)will push the cutoff frequency of the filter UP. This makes the sound brighter, or I should say allows more of the original signal\'s tops through.
    Imagine a tap. The water supply is coming in at full pressure, just the way the sample is putting out every frequency recorded in it in the first place.
    When the LOW pass filter is set all the way to 0, the tap is off and no signal gets through - no tops or bottoms - nothing (if it\'s a good Low Pass filter.
    As you open the low pass filter up, you hear the lowest frequencies starting to squeeze out. The higher you raise the cutoff frequency, the more mids, then tops from your sample begin to get through. At some stage you\'ll oopen the filter enough to hear the whole signal exactly as if there was no filter in the signal path at all. It\'s like having the tap fully open.
    So... with a dynamic lowpass filter applied, soft notes don\'t open the filter much, and the sound is dull, loud notes open the filter and you hear the original signal.
    Two more complications.
    1. If you start with a cutoff frequency of 127, that\'s like having the filter open all the way. Envelopes, velocity and other modulation sources usually move the cutoff frequency in a positive direction from it\'s current setting. So you won\'t hear much happening if it\'s set fully open already. You need to drop it down to what you think is a good \'dullness\' to start with, then the modulation will open the filter up from that point.

2. Not all filters are low pass. Low pass filters cut off the tops, leaving the low frequencies to be affected least - they let the lows pass through.
    As you raise the cutoff frequency on a high pass filter, you\'re cutting off the frequencies BELOW the cutoff frequency. The effect is like thinning out the sound. It\'s very useful in ravey stuff, or for taking the clunk out of hi hats.
    Band pass filters only let a tiny range of frequencies just above and below the cutoff through. Skinny sound.
    Band reject/notch filters cut a similar size band OUT - leaving the bulk of the signal intact.
    There\'s a bunch more things like resonance and 2 vs 4 vs 12 pole filters etc., but I think that\'s enough of me blabbering for one post

This is the kind of info that should be in the GS manual!

Isn\'t it great having this forum for stuff that isn\'t though!

Sean Lane
    DS Soundware

I\'ve been playing with the velocity settings, the lowpass filter, and the dynamic velocity settings (there are 4). These variables are indispensible to smoothing out the Steinway B sample. I\'ve pretty much figured out what the dynamic velocity setting is all about just by fiddling with it. It\'s an invaluable tool. I which there was a continuous gradation instead of 4 fixed settings! http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/42/john_lewis_grant.html

Go Back to forum