Does anyone know how to create mono versions of existing Gig files (like Adv. Orchestra and Ultmate strings). I generally find the stereo images of these libraries rather unrealistic. I think (or hope) that mono placement of Vln 1, 2, Viola, Celli and CB sections will result in an overall better stereo image (when applying good reverb).
I tried to do this myself with the GS instrument editor, but after a few hours of trial-and-error (great manual, sigh...) I gave up.
Why don\'t you work with the pan settings in the mixer. You could, I suppose, take the exisitng stereo waves, bring them into an editor (like Cool Edit Pro, SF, etc.) and convert them to mono, then rebuild all the instruments in the GS Editor. Seems like a lot of work. Is there any reason why the pan settings in the mixer won\'t work for you?
Are you using GigaStudio?
I tried to do it the hard way, with taking out banks of samples in the Instrument Editor, then batching them to mono (left ch to avoid phase problems) with SoundForge and re-importing them into the Instrument Editor. The problem with this is, that you have to re-map all samples. I am not confortable enough (yet) with this editor to be sure that my time is really well invested... As long as everything is not yet re-mapped, you can\'t save the Gig file, for instance.
I have ordered my GS to Gst update 2 months ago, already gave my credit card info, but haven\'t received anything, not even replies to my \"worried\" emails about my order and credit card info (ordering is by email, not secured forms).
Panning to mono is not an option, as I only have 4 stereo\'s out with my Echo card. I use these for the main groups in the orchestra, with different reverb settings. So stereo assignment is done with midi, and all string samples go to a single stereo out.
There is one problem I see with just panning to one side.
Even if you can\'t hear one side, the Giga is still working as though there are two samples playing. This halves your polyphony.
160 voices is 80 stereo voices. Using panning it\'s still only 80 note polyphony, although it sounds mono.
What Nemesys should do is the Roland system.
When in a kind of global \'case edit\' of each region in a file you can delete any or all sides and/or levels.
1. I enter patch edit
2. Select \'global\' so that all regions (Roland=partials) are affected
3. Go to the sample mix/pan page
4. Select no patch for either left or right side, or loud or soft level
5. Fix the panning of the remaining sample side (and velocity if it was a level I removed)
et Voila! same patch, half the polyphony used up.
Personally, I think it should be routine when programming sample CD roms to include mono and memory reduced versions of patches alongside the \'ideal\' 12gig multilayer quadraphonic patches.
After all, it uses virtually no more space on the CD - it\'s patch level info only. Waveforms are already included in the mega patches.