• Register
  • Help

Topic: [GStudio] Polyphony

Share/Bookmark

[GStudio] Polyphony

How can I tell how much polyphony is available? That\'s available, not Voices being presently used, or peak number of voices used. What is the total available?

Should I simply set Settings/Sampler/Polyphony to 160, or does this impact on performance?

What should I set \"Transition Voices\" to?

Thanks,

Lawrence

Re: [GStudio] Polyphony

Set your \"transition voices\" to the minimum (6 I believe).

As far as how much polyphony you can get... you\'ll just have to keep adding voices to your sequence until you notice sluggish reposonse or drop-out. There\'s simply no other way to tell how much polyphony you can do. BTW, this will also depend on how many FX you are using.

Peace,
    Tim
    http://www.elithic.com

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Set your \"transition voices\" to the minimum (6 I believe).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks. Will do.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>As far as how much polyphony you can get... you\'ll just have to keep adding voices to your sequence until you notice sluggish reposonse or drop-out. There\'s simply no other way to tell how much polyphony you can do. BTW, this will also depend on how many FX you are using.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK. That\'s what I figured (and what makes sense) but I THOUGHT that I had read somewhere that a feature of GStudio was that it would indicate the acutal polphony. Just wanted to verify.

I\'ll set transition for the min. and polyphony for the max., and \"forgetaboutit\"!

Lawrence

[This message has been edited by Lougheed (edited 06-07-2000).]

I\'m sure I read a post from Donnie in which he said he had reached 160 note polyphony on his PIII500. I figure he wouldn\'t have been so specific if you could only tell by listening for when the system buckles under the weight of more voices played....

Chadwick,

I said that I was getting 160 notes of polyphony because when I play a midi file the the peak meter goes all the way up to 160 at times. This is a full orchestration of winds, strings, and percussion. My system, which is a PIII 550, is optimized using the link I posted earlier. I make sure that no other programs are running when I am using gigastudio and finale. Hope this clarifies things.

Donnie
    DS Soundware

There is an indication on the left side of the screen that shows the peak polyphony in use since GS was started. And another number that shows real time polyphony.

Ron

I wish there was some way to reset that little \"peak\" number. A right-click or something. Joe?

Peace,
    Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>There is an indication on the left side of the screen that shows the peak polyphony in use since GS was started. And another number that shows real time polyphony.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Peak in use, is different than max. possible, IMHO.

I guess I\'ll keep loading up extra tracks, and see what happens. However, I thought that there was a better way! I\'m still sure I read that - somewhere!

Lawrence

Hi Lougheed:

> Peak in use, is different than max.
    > possible, IMHO.

It\'s no matter of opinion, it\'s fact. You don\'t know what the max possible is until you hit it... either the 160 max of GSt or the max your system will crank out, whichever is lower.

Peace,
    Tim

Go Back to forum