• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: White Noir Nights

White Noir Nights

I know the title is kind of weird but I have a good friend that plays sax. His last name is White and the piece I wrote reminds me of his style of playing. The song also is reminiscent of film noir (well in my mind anyway), hence the the title:

White Noir Nights

See if you can pick up just a bit of Glenn Miller's "In the Mood" stuck in the piece somewhere.

I should tell you the instruments being used:
    Vintage Electric Piano - played through a Guitar Rig with vibrato on the amp
    Fretted Jazz Bass - also put through a Guitar Rig Bass Amp
    Electric Guitar - yep, put through a Guitar Rig Jazz Amp
    Tenor Sax 4
    Drums - RealDrums
    Full Strings - Sus Short

This was all done using JaBB and GPO4 strings. The only exception are the drums and they are RealDrums from Band in a Box. The sound of those drums seem to fit very well and I saw no sense in trying to duplicate that myself in a midi format.

I hope you enjoy the piece.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Re: White Noir Nights

This kind of sounds like a late 1930's slow dance number for soldiers or something like that. I did hear "in the mood" in the piano solo. I don't know if you are aware of it, but it is called "quoting" when a soloist refers to a familiar musical phrase in his solo. I remember clifford brown as well as many others regularly did that. I think it is a nice moody (noir) piece. It would be interesting to hear this orchestrated with a Glen Miller sized orchestra.
    Thanks for posting. Jay

Beautifully done, Rich.

The lead sax sounds just great - played on your EWI, I take it. You sure got good use out of your Guitar Rig!--great to put the electric piano through it.

The intimate size of the ensemble works really well for this, I don't think I'd like to hear it expanded for a larger group. The strings are there, impossible to have with a small ensemble like this, but you've kept their contribution subtle, and I consider their addition more of a nice recording production layer rather than a simulation of what could be played live.

Thanks much, really enjoyed.

Thanks Jay,

The piece is an intimate small ensemble type piece and meant to invoke a feeling of those cheap novels that start, "It was a dark and stormy night." I know cliched to the hilt, but that is what I was thinking of when I wrote the piece. Expanding it to a Glen Miller type orchestra probably wouldn't work (at least at my hands). Thanks for the comments. They are appreciated.

Thanks for the comments. And, No, this time I didn't use the EWI. I just added the vibrato on the piano roll. It was a quick render and I didn't take the time to play the piece. Maybe I will do that in the future. I like the melody and think it is perfect for the ensemble setting that I chose. As for the strings, you are absolutely correct. I just wanted to take the edge off the mix and have them in the background. I felt they may have been too subtle at times but your remarks fit exactly in what my intention for them was. This was a noir type piece all the way. I sort of envision the "Harlem Nocturne" type of setting for this piece. I think it work though it definitely isn't the sound of "Harlem Nocturne" but just the style of it.

West Seneca, NY

Thumbs up Re: White Noir Nights

Cool man, cool. Leave the drums out so I can jam.

Sounds good to me Styxx, Jam along and send me the drum part you play and I'll drop the track I have!

Thanks for the comments, I am glad you are still able and willing to jump in on the forum. It is nice to see you here!

So me a favor and listen as many times as you can. This piece has reached the top 40 out of 40,000 plus and it would be nice to see it hit number 1. I think it is a piece worth hearing. Heck, I should probably play it on my EWI and add an EWI sax solo to boot!

Yeah man, I'm gonna have to play this for my Filipina girlfriend now. Sweet piece and great work!

Ah, the theme song to Mannix, a private eye. Go Richard...
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Rodney said:
    Sweet piece and great work!
    Thanks for the comment. It was a fun piece to do. What I need to do now is play the sax part on an EWI and add a little sax solo into the piece.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast