• Register
  • Help

Topic: From a biography of Shostakovitch

Share/Bookmark

From a biography of Shostakovitch

Translated from dutch (year 1914), Dimitri Shostakovich was 8 years:
    " [They are talking about the WW I]; In spite of the ever increasing concourse of the homeless and over crowded military hospitals in the city [St. Petersburg], the theatre-life went on as intensive as never before. On the bill boards of the Aleksandrinka theatre and the Marinski theatre famous names continued appearing. Meyerhold staged Shaw's Pygmalion and Wilde's Portrait of Dorian Gray........"

Randy wasn't even born at that time..........

Raymond

Re: From a biography of Shostakovitch

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Translated from dutch (year 1914), Dimitri Shostakovich was 8 years:
    " [They are talking about the WW I]; In spite of the ever increasing concourse of the homeless and over crowded military hospitals in the city [St. Petersburg], the theatre-life went on as intensive as never before. On the bill boards of the Aleksandrinka theatre and the Marinski theatre famous names continued appearing. Meyerhold staged Shaw's Pygmalion and Wilde's Portrait of Dorian Gray........"

Randy wasn't even born at that time..........

Raymond
    Interesting information, Raymond.- It's true - before I was even born, people were adapting the book for stage!

Meyerhold directed the 1915 Russian silent movie based on "Dorian Gray," and played the key role of Lord Henry. A photograph from that and some info is on a page about "Dorian Gray" history I put online some time ago:

Meyerhold's "Dorian"

You'll see in the photograph that Meyerhold cast a woman as Dorian. - Unfortunately Meyerhold came to a tragic end, but before his death, he established himself as a major innovator. On the above page there's a link to the official Meyerhold Memorial page.

Thanks for this post, Raymond!

Randy

No thanks. Worth reading the short biography of Meyerhold on Wikipedia.

Raymond

No thanks. Worth reading the short biography of Meyerhold on Wikipedia.

Raymond
    ----what? It's just a page of my website I posted. --What's the problem?

Randy

Let me rephrase that. It is worth reading the short biogrpahy of Meyerhold (Wikipedia). Lots of info about the guy, what he did, how he thought theatre should be and how his life was ended. No problem at all, Randy. I just looked up his name at Wikipedia. When reading novels or else I always search on the Net about villages, landscapes, people, etc. to get a better idea of what the writer is talking about. It deepens my understanding of the material.

Raymond

...When reading novels or else I always search on the Net about villages, landscapes, people, etc. to get a better idea of what the writer is talking about. It deepens my understanding of the material.

Raymond
    The internet can be a great aid in research, for sure.- That's why I posted the link to my page on the internet. It's one of the online resources about Dorian Gray, Meyerhold, Oscar Wilde et al.

Randy

Go Back to forum