• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: "Con Fuoco" Mvmnt. I "Wrath of Fire" by Rodney Money (Garritan only)

Share/Bookmark

"Con Fuoco" Mvmnt. I "Wrath of Fire" by Rodney Money (GPO4 and IO)

This composition "Con Fuoco” which means "With Fire!" is written for orchestra and has 3 movements. Here is the first movement entitled: "Wrath of Fire" which features the contrabassoon. I used sounds only from Garritan (GPO4 and IO) and nothing else. Here’s what I used:

GPO4: violins 1 short bows ks ag, timpani ks, violins 1 ks, bass drum ks, cymbals, cellos short bows ks ag, cellos ks, basses short bows ag, basses ks, full strings sustain short ag, horn overlay f, sam horn section ks, trumpet overlay ag, sam trumpet section ks, trombone overlay ag, sam trombone section ks, bass trombone 2 solo ag, sam bass trombone, tuba overlay ag, sam tuba solo ks, and contrabassoon 1 solo.

IO: snap pizzicato full strings, earth cavern percussion, snare and rolls, silvery choir, full choir, earth drums 3, and scary piano fx.

Thank you so much. I hope you enjoy, and here's the link or the YouTube link.
    ~Rodney
    http://www.box.com/s/06f4fef168b6ff468554
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EgcKnUNwks

Re: "Con Fuoco" Mvmnt. I "Wrath of Fire" by Rodney Money (Garritan only)

Hi, Rodney - That's a big, grand, driving piece of music, and it sounds great. Kind of an Epic Gaming sort of sound track - I think that's what you had in mind, with the repeating, insistence rhythms.

You used a Vocoder plugin of some sort on the Contra-bassoon? It sounded wild - impossible to distinguish notes really, but the growling, demonic sound was effective.

NOTE - Your Box link doesn't work. You used the wrong link - it takes me to My account instead of your MP3. Go back and ask to get the link to the MP3 file, not the folder, and use the first one displayed, not the direct link.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hi, Rodney - That's a big, grand, driving piece of music, and it sounds great. Kind of an Epic Gaming sort of sound track - I think that's what you had in mind, with the repeating, insistence rhythms.

You used a Vocoder plugin of some sort on the Contra-bassoon? It sounded wild - impossible to distinguish notes really, but the growling, demonic sound was effective.

NOTE - Your Box link doesn't work. You used the wrong link - it takes me to My account instead of your MP3. Go back and ask to get the link to the MP3 file, not the folder, and use the first one displayed, not the direct link.

Randy
    Thank you for stopping by Randy, I thought for a while no one would, lol. Please check for me if the link now works, and thank you for telling me of the issue.
    ~Rodney

Quote Originally Posted by composingatnight View Post
    Thank you for stopping by Randy, I thought for a while no one would, lol. Please check for me if the link now works, and thank you for telling me of the issue.
    ~Rodney
    I know, traffic has slowed to a tiny trickle in here, unfortunately.

Yes, your new link works - you grabbed the right one. I see that at Box, the MP3 is just called "Strings and Brass"---I guess that's what you want it to be called, even though "Wrath of Fire" is actually the title?

Randy

Randy
    I am happy to hear that it sounds great coming from you, then I know I am on the right path. I did want it to sound epic, but more orchestral or biblical epic than gaming. For me, I know this doesn't concern everyone which is fine because different people have different goals, everything I write must be playable because I am always thinking of publishing and is it performable live? Even though I used IO, I tried to used only percussion, effects, and choirs that I knew that I could either tell what they were, or knew how to write for them (loved the piano effects which I have used in live concerts.) The 2nd and 3rd movements have been performed live before, but now I am going to rewrite them also with the new found inspiration the Garritan sounds. "Wrath of Fire" was at first just an experiment trying to get the strings balanced with the timpani, but then I kept expanding and orchestrating the theme. Then my best friend told me, "It's got to have a theme I can remember," so I took the melody from my "Con Fuoco," transposed it, and it worked.

Concerning the contrabassoon, I simply used the Garritan contrabassoon solo 1 and I played it with some trills and glissandos and slides. I am not sure what a Vocoder plugin is? I was going for that dark, uneasy demonic and mocking or disdainful sound.
    ~Rodney

I know, traffic has slowed to a tiny trickle in here, unfortunately.

Yes, your new link works - you grabbed the right one. I see that at Box, the MP3 is just called "Strings and Brass"---I guess that's what you want it to be called, even though "Wrath of Fire" is actually the title?

Randy
    Yes, I want it to be called "Wrath of Fire" but "Strings and Brass" was simply the name of the mp3 that I kept sending myself through email so I could work on it at work before I knew what the piece was going to call itself.
    ~Rodney

I'm impressed. You married GPO4 and IO together extremely well. The piece most certainly has fire and the staccato instrument parts are clean, clear and crisp in the mix. I really like the snare drum. It has a definite cutting punch to it. This was nicely done (very cinematic).

Along with Randy, I too wasn't sure I was listening to the right piece at Box.net so I switched over to the YouTube site to listen to the piece. Maybe a comment on the play page to the real title would help.

Congratulations on a good piece of music. I want to hear the rest of the suite.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Listened to the Youtube version. Never, never do this again please, setting a grand piano on fire. The music is just great!!!!!

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    I'm impressed. You married GPO4 and IO together extremely well. The piece most certainly has fire and the staccato instrument parts are clean, clear and crisp in the mix. I really like the snare drum. It has a definite cutting punch to it. This was nicely done (very cinematic).

Along with Randy, I too wasn't sure I was listening to the right piece at Box.net so I switched over to the YouTube site to listen to the piece. Maybe a comment on the play page to the real title would help.

Congratulations on a good piece of music. I want to hear the rest of the suite.
    Thank you for your comments and compliments Rich. Did I hear somewhere you used to be a band director? Maybe I am thinking of someone else, but great to hear from you! I tried to work very hard on the articulations and besides balance, I think that was my biggest concern. Thanks for noticing and putting myself at ease.

I really liked the sound of the snare drum also. I used IO's snares and rolls. The reverb for just the snare was the concert hall but full signal. I felt that I could get away with a "wet" snare since the articulations still cut through the ensemble and made this piece work for me giving me a more of that cinematic sound verses the concert sound. My favorite parts of this piece is the little rises in the snare followed by an accent.

I changed the name guys. Thank you for telling me of this concern. This is the first time I have ever used the online box sharing.
    ~Rodney

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Listened to the Youtube version. Never, never do this again please, setting a grand piano on fire. The music is just great!!!!!

Raymond
    HAHA! Ah Raymond, I would never set a piano on fire. When I first saw this picture I envisioned the fire as being the music raging from the strings of the piano in epic glory (very, corney I know, lol.) Thanks for liking it, my friend, I was wondering what you were going to think of it.
    ~Rodney

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast