• Register
  • Help

Topic: Gigaharp sample cd: gary garritan

Share/Bookmark

Gigaharp sample cd: gary garritan

I\'m seriously considering this cd. Anyone buy it and would be willing to share opinions and comments? At the reduced price down to $179.00 this seems more reasonable.
    Please send replies and I in turn will respond promptly.Whats the best price on their CD library from a retailer? New to this format.
    Looking for pristiness,quality and playability.Thanks in advance.

Re: Gigaharp sample cd: gary garritan

Hi,

I have the GigaHarp CD by Gary Garritan. In my opinion, this *IS* the \"definitive\" CD for harp samples. Furthermore, this CD provides many variations and real-time control of the harp sound....very much like you are actually sitting and playing a real harp!! For example, the mod wheel can vary *where* you are plucking the strings...in the middle of the strings or more towards the ends (which produces a tighter, \"pluckier\" sound).

I guarantee you\'ll be VERY happy with this CD. Ever since I got this CD, I don\'t even think about using the other harp samples (adv orchestra, for example)...

I hope this helps your decision... =)

Hello,

you should hear also the Xsample concertharp on volume 8!

Ciao,

Hans-Josef

Hi Hans,

My name is Bruce.I\'m not familiar with this at all.Could you please give me a few details or direct me to a web page where I could check it out?

Thanks.

you should hear also the Xsample concertharp on volume 8!

Ciao,

Hans-Josef[/B][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Boomer:
    [B]Hi,

I have the GigaHarp CD by Gary Garritan. In my opinion, this *IS* the \"definitive\" CD for harp samples. Furthermore, this CD provides many variations and real-time control of the harp sound....very much like you are actually sitting and playing a real harp!! For example, the mod wheel can vary *where* you are plucking the strings...in the middle of the strings or more towards the ends (which produces a tighter, \"pluckier\" sound).

I guarantee you\'ll be VERY happy with this CD. Ever since I got this CD, I don\'t even think about using the other harp samples (adv orchestra, for example)...

I hope this helps your decision... =)

Hi Boomer,

Would you be willing to e-mail me direct
    as I have some specific questions on this product?
    Emusampler@juno.com
    Thanks in advance,

No, no. Please keep the questions going. I would like to learn about the Gigaharp as well.

Thanks,
    Mahlon

This is not a very reliable comparison but the demo CD which is shipping as of recent with Gigasampler has a one octave working Giga file from Gary\'s Harp CD. I wasn\'t near as impressed with the sound of that one as the X-sample they are talking about. The x-sample may not be as controllable I don\'t know but I really like that crispy punchy sound. The Gary harp $179 seemed a little dull, muffled, or lifeless compared to theX-sample $129. Both are on 1 CD however the X-sample has additional instrumentssuch as psalter (excellent sounding), celesta, and
    clavicymbel. In a way this would seem to represent a greater value. I tried to contact Gary via e-mail. Guess he\'s one busy dude (1 month ago) I would really like to hear more of both these products ie. MIDI files etc.
    Soundchaser has the X and Gigaharp http://soundstore.holdit.com/perl/cart?category=43&x=2
    Where did you find Gigaharp for $179 at Nemysys?

OK, we try to describe the most important features.

- The Xsample Library provides all instruments as a mono and stereo version.
    It\'s an important thing for professional working.

- So the CD 8 of the Xsample Library contains the following instruments
    556 MB stereo concert harp (this gig-file is packed on the CD with a
    losless method)
    278 MB mono concert harp
    24 MB celesta stereo
    12 MB celesta mono
    46 MB psalter stereo
    23 MB psalter mono
    67 MB klavicymbel stereo (a very seldom instrument, it is one of the
    last existing!)
    34 MB klavicymbel mono
    a tool gig with click and different dither types
    and 9 help files with detailed information of the programming

- Every gig-file of our library is very detailed programmed. This should help
    the user, to be most flexible of using our library. You can load every type of
    sound by its own, and there are programmed also a lot of combinations also using
    Mod Wheel, Foot Controller, Breath Controller, Key Dimension Controller and so
    on. So if you want to, you have a small >sound forge< in your hand to create
    also extrem sounds.

- But there are also the >normal presets< with velocity layers: just loading and
    get a very truthful instrument on highest quality.

- A very helpful controller on the Xsample harp is the Release Controller. So if
    you are playing a glissando, you can use very short release times in order to
    reduce the used voices.

- In the case of the harp, there are 20 instruments (presets) on the stereo
    gig-file and 21 instruments (presets) on the mono gig-file.

- The Xsample concert harp contains the following colours: piano, mezzo forte,
    forte, stopped tones, open tones, pedal fx sounds. Certainly everything is
    chromatically sampled. The two gig files have 371 stereo respectively 371 mono
    samples.

We hope this helps a little bit.

Ciao,

Hans-Josef

Where did you find Gigaharp for $179 at Nemysys?

I was referring to the price on their web site advertised at a \"reduced\" price.

Don\'t know if they are passing this on to their retailers. Where can I hear demo\'s of both the Xsample and the Garritan harps?
    Anyone willing to send me a .mp3 file or something,even if it were homemade? You\'d think the manufacturer would have a demo cd or something before expecting the customer to shell out near full retail price for something they can\'t audition first.

I too have tried to contact the author to get some Harp arp/glisses type midi files.
    Anyone have a working e-mail address?
    Gary@harps.com bounced.

Go Back to forum