• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Topic: Instant Orchestra with Sibelius Mac

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Instant Orchestra with Sibelius Mac

    Hi... I'm new here, and in a hurry. I have written a musical on Sibelius/Mac, and we begin touring in July. Will use Sibelius as accompaniment. Not satisfied with default Sibelius instruments and someone recommended Garritan Sounds. Instant Orchestra seems best. This has probably been answered already, but will it fully integrate with Sibelius 7 & Mac OS 10.7.3?

    Tnx... Tom in Texas

  2. #2

    Re: Instant Orchestra with Sibelius Mac

    Quote Originally Posted by macrev View Post
    Hi... I'm new here, and in a hurry. I have written a musical on Sibelius/Mac, and we begin touring in July. Will use Sibelius as accompaniment. Not satisfied with default Sibelius instruments and someone recommended Garritan Sounds. Instant Orchestra seems best. This has probably been answered already, but will it fully integrate with Sibelius 7 & Mac OS 10.7.3?

    Tnx... Tom in Texas
    Yes you can load the ARIA Player as a VSTi inside of Sibelius. But you will need to load the patches/instruments you want to sound, then assign their MIDI channels appropriately to what you have set in playback for Sibelius.

    Best,
    Chad

  3. #3

    Re: Instant Orchestra with Sibelius Mac

    Hi there, I don't have sibelius but I do have finale, a comparable notation program.

    I would suggest that IO is not the best solution here because if you have some correctly arranged/orchestrated scores, then GPO4 would be the best bet here - as it would more naturally fit the various instrument staves. IO isn't broken down by individual instruments like GPO4 is.

    Note too that from what I've read in various places, the GPO4 instruments are of a higher quality than the ones that come with sibelius. Perhaps another user can help more - but my gut is saying that IO is not the right library to use in this situation.
    Website:
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

  4. #4

    Re: Instant Orchestra with Sibelius Mac

    Macrev - Plowking is absolutely correct, and I'll be even more direct about it. Instant Orchestra is not what you need for this - it doesn't have any solo instruments. You need GPO - Garritan Personal Orchestra, since it has all of the instruments of the orchestra. IO is great, and could beef up your tracks very nicely, that's it's forte.

    I've never used a Mac, so can't speak to that.

    Chad has given you advice on using GPO and Sibelius - he's one of the Garritan programmers, so knows of what he speaks.

    I have much experience with using "virtual orchestras" for theatre productions. Have you considered making good recordings of the music rather than triggering it live? There are many drawbacks to the plan you have - the bottom line one being that you'll never get it sounding as good as a well produced recording. More prone to glitches also. I really think you should consider finding someone with music production experience, and having them produce the music using GPO and whatever other soft synths you want.

    Randy

  5. #5

    Re: Instant Orchestra with Sibelius Mac

    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Macrev - Plowking is absolutely correct, and I'll be even more direct about it. Instant Orchestra is not what you need for this - it doesn't have any solo instruments. You need GPO - Garritan Personal Orchestra, since it has all of the instruments of the orchestra. IO is great, and could beef up your tracks very nicely, that's it's forte.

    I've never used a Mac, so can't speak to that.

    Chad has given you advice on using GPO and Sibelius - he's one of the Garritan programmers, so knows of what he speaks.

    I have much experience with using "virtual orchestras" for theatre productions. Have you considered making good recordings of the music rather than triggering it live? There are many drawbacks to the plan you have - the bottom line one being that you'll never get it sounding as good as a well produced recording. More prone to glitches also. I really think you should consider finding someone with music production experience, and having them produce the music using GPO and whatever other soft synths you want.

    Randy
    Thanks for your helpful advice. I am still pretty much a novice with Sibelius, so I'm inching my way along here in ignorance. Randy, I would love eventually to record the accompaniment live, but that a ways down the road. Got everything except the money. Maybe after we've presented it a few places that will happen. We have two tours scheduled in Texas and one in Southern Cal this summer and fall. Mainly, to start with, these will be churches and smaller venues...a few dozen to a few hundred people. For starters, primarily I need strings and brass that sound more realistic. Sibelius' default sounds can be a bit thready and electronic sounding. The samples on Garritan Instant Orchestra sounded great. There are not a lot of solo instrument parts in the score...a few trumpet descants, etc. Mostly it's strings and brass that need improving. Would you still recommend Garritan Personal Orchestra if my main need is a fuller sound for strings and brass?

    Tom in Texas (macrev)

  6. #6

    Re: Instant Orchestra with Sibelius Mac

    Hey Tom, I think GPO would be wonderful. Here are a couple of compositions of mine that feature the strings and brass. "Wrath of Fire" is for full orchestra. You can really hear the strings on this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EgcKnUNwks "Wrath of Fire" also uses full choir sound and silvery choir.
    And "Fanfare for Earth" is for brass and percussion. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqh5m...feature=relmfu
    ~Rodney

  7. #7

    Re: Instant Orchestra with Sibelius Mac

    If YouTube is acting funny, here is the mp3 for "Wrath of Fire."
    http://www.box.com/s/06f4fef168b6ff468554
    ~Rodney

  8. #8

    Re: Instant Orchestra with Sibelius Mac

    Quote Originally Posted by macrev View Post
    Thanks for your helpful advice. I am still pretty much a novice with Sibelius, so I'm inching my way along here in ignorance. Randy, I would love eventually to record the accompaniment live, but that a ways down the road. Got everything except the money. Maybe after we've presented it a few places that will happen. We have two tours scheduled in Texas and one in Southern Cal this summer and fall. Mainly, to start with, these will be churches and smaller venues...a few dozen to a few hundred people. For starters, primarily I need strings and brass that sound more realistic. Sibelius' default sounds can be a bit thready and electronic sounding. The samples on Garritan Instant Orchestra sounded great. There are not a lot of solo instrument parts in the score...a few trumpet descants, etc. Mostly it's strings and brass that need improving. Would you still recommend Garritan Personal Orchestra if my main need is a fuller sound for strings and brass?

    Tom in Texas (macrev)
    Hi, Tom - Thanks for the reply.

    I didn't mean recordings with a live orchestra - now that would be a huge challenge. I meant tracks produced with your files by someone who knows how to make the most out of soft synths. Frankly, the best results come from a DAW software user. The main point of Sibelius really is to generate sheet music. Sound from it can be OK, but what you're thinking of doing, triggering it live - it's just fraught with difficulties and will have definite drawbacks in quality.

    I'll write you a Private Message a bit later. --

    Randy

  9. #9

    Re: Instant Orchestra with Sibelius Mac

    Wow, Rodney...amazing sounds! Great work...especially the brass on your "Fanfare." Cymbals, too. Soaring! So...the Garritan Personal Orchestra also makes for great string section parts, too, and not just solo instruments?

    Tom in Texas

  10. #10

    Re: Instant Orchestra with Sibelius Mac

    Quote Originally Posted by macrev View Post
    Wow, Rodney...amazing sounds! Great work...especially the brass on your "Fanfare." Cymbals, too. Soaring! So...the Garritan Personal Orchestra also makes for great string section parts, too, and not just solo instruments?

    Tom in Texas
    Thank you so much, means a lot. Yes GPO4 has wonderful string section parts, not just for solo.
    ~Rodney

Go Back to forum

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •