• Register
  • Help

Topic: New 8-layer Trachtman piano released

Share/Bookmark

New 8-layer Trachtman piano released

I just received the new 8 layer Trachtman piano set and like it very much. The new samples better capture the tone of the piano, with more bass & low mid warmth than the previous 4 layer set (which I like & use a lot). Also, the velocity switching is much smoother & the additional pedal layers add to the realism of the set. Overall, at the reasonable price of $75.00us, I think this set is a great value and a fine addition to anyone\'s sample library.
    http://www.wstco.com/pianosounds/gigasampler/

Regards,

MM

Re: New 8-layer Trachtman piano released

Hi - I was under the impression that the Steinway B sample also employed 8 layers (4 with pedal up, 4 with pedal down. Is this not correct ? Also - any thoughts on the difference between Trachman\'s CD and the Post Pristine Piano (see a couple of messages below on the bulletin board).
    Thanks
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MM:
    I just received the new 8 layer Trachtman piano set and like it very much. The new samples better capture the tone of the piano, with more bass & low mid warmth than the previous 4 layer set (which I like & use a lot). Also, the velocity switching is much smoother & the additional pedal layers add to the realism of the set. Overall, at the reasonable price of $75.00us, I think this set is a great value and a fine addition to anyone\'s sample library.
    http://www.wstco.com/pianosounds/gigasampler/

Regards,

MM
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You must be thinking of the Truan Steinway B and not the Trachtman Steinway C 4 layer. I haven\'t yet ordered the Post piano, so I have no basis for comparison.

Regards,

MM

That is correct - I was referring to Truan\'s piano having 4 + 4 layers. Post pristine seems to have an additional two layers (damper + staccatto distortion sounds).
    I am interested in Trachman\'s sample primarily from the point of view of smoother layer-to-layer transition, but are
    unsure about the fundamental sound (i.e. Steinway C vs. B). I always found the \"C\" a bit darker and not as focused as the \"B\".

Any thoughts on newer MIDI controllers with
    more realistic piano touch ?

Thanks.

My thanks to Michael for making the announcement of the release, as well as for his positive comments on the samples.

I did want to also mention that those folks who have previously purchased my 5-layer (pedal-up-only) version of the Steinway-C (my old CD#8), can get the new 8-layer gigasampler version (CD#2) as an \"upgrade\" for only $10 (ten) dollars.

========================================
    Post pristine seems to have an additional two layers (damper + staccatto distortion sounds).
    I am interested in Trachman\'s sample primarily from the point of view of smoother layer-to-layer transition, but are
    unsure about the fundamental sound (i.e. Steinway C vs. B). I always found the \"C\" a bit darker and not as focused as the \"B\".
    =========================================

With the current gigasampler\'s limitations in polyphony and number of dimensions, I found it preferable to use the existing capability to create slightly filtered pseudo-layers in-between the actual sample layers to help smooth out the overal dynamic velocity transitions/response rather than devote the dimensions to the staccato-release-triggered samples. So, in effect there are actually 16 layers in my new Steinway-C Gigasampler CD, but since these are derived from 8 actually recorded strike sample sets, I am designating this set as only an 8-layer set (truth in advertising).
    I believe this resulted in a better use of the existing soft-synth\'s capabilities. This is a bit of a personal judgement call. As mentioned before, I hope that the expanded capabilities of the Gigastudio will allow me to include a few layers of staccato-release samples, and other effects, along with more actually recorded strike layers, in a future Gigastudio-format piano set release.

As for the sound difference among the various (and happily rapidly expanding ) available piano sets:
    This sort of thing always has been, and will remain, largely a matter of personal taste, along with the partcular style of music and/or ambience you are trying to create. The best thing to do is to listen to audio demos and decide if each piano\'s characteristics will work for what you are trying to do.

Regards,

Warren Trachtman
    http://www.wstco.com/pianosounds/

In all instances above where I said 4 layer Trachtman Steinway...I meant 5 Layer.

A wee bit senile here.

Regards,

MM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kenn159:
    [B]Glad to hear it\'s done , Im sure it\'s a master piece. Just wondering if anyone knows how much ram is required for this sample [128,256 ?] I remember when he was working on it, he said he had 5 gigs so far of samples ,but would try to reduce the size via no lose compression. Just wondering what the total size ended out to be. thanks ,Ken

Ken, I believe the size was just under the two gig maximum the program has/had. The file size is approx 1.9 gigs.It comes compressed on a single cd. Warren,would you care to elaborate?

Bruce

I am able to run my 8-Layer version on a PC with 128MB of RAM, with Win98 tweeked for memory availability. I can run both Gigasampler and Cakewalk, and load up the 8-layer Steinway-C. This pretty much maxes out the 128MB.

The compression used for distribution of the file is not the same as the previously discussed Nemesys file compression format for the instrument itself.
    Although Nemesys has offered to supply this for my use, they have been understandably busy with the release of the Gigastudio, and I have not yet received the instrument compression programs from them to use.
    So, the 8-layer instrument was cut back to just under the 2 Gigabyte file size limit by trimming the bass note decay length to 20 seconds.

For future releases, such as for the GigaStudio, I expect to use the full 4 or 5 gigabytes containing all 16 strike layers, staccato release sample layers, and whatever else I can successfully model. If I have the Nemesys compression program by then, I\'ll use it to save disk space. I also understand that use of the Nemesys compression may increase achievable polyphony with the Gigastudio, so this is motivation to use it in addition to saving disk space. All bets are off with regard to RAM requirements for future releases.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Warren Trachtman
    http://www.wstco.com/pianosounds/

Glad to hear it\'s done , Im sure it\'s a master piece. Just wondering if anyone knows how much ram is required for this sample [128,256 ?] I remember when he was working on it, he said he had 5 gigs so far of samples ,but would try to reduce the size via no lose compression. Just wondering what the total size ended out to be. thanks ,Ken

Go Back to forum