• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A Lost Spirit

Share/Bookmark

A Lost Spirit

Ah. My last post has finally passed on to the second page. This selection is based on a piece I wrote two years ago. It is in simple A-B-A form, but is composed using quartal rather than tertial harmony. Quartal harmony is an acquired taste and many never do come to enjoy it. Personally, I find its ebb and flow strangely comforting, leading to soft, esoteric thoughts. I selected a title that is purposefully vague.
    I hope you enjoy “A Lost Spirit.”

http://www.box.com/s/14ef932255fe2b9c2bd1

The GPO4 Instrumentation:
    Flute 1
    Flute 2
    Oboe
    Clarinet in Bb 1
    Clarinet in Bb 2
    Bass Clarinet
    Bassoon

Re: A Lost Spirit

I love how you use the bass line to unify the work. Just love this sound. What is the instrumentation?
    Somehow, I want a lead soloist to jump from this flowing line. Really has a Stravinsky/Hindemith feel.

Thanks for sharing,
    Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer View Post
    I love how you use the bass line to unify the work. Just love this sound. What is the instrumentation?
    Somehow, I want a lead soloist to jump from this flowing line. Really has a Stravinsky/Hindemith feel.

Thanks for sharing,
    Bill
    Bill,

Stravinsky and Hindemith were my compositional gods as I was learning the trade. There is a melody with escape tones floating within the musical text, but if I did it correctly you can only feel it rather than hear it.
    The GPO4 Instrumentation:
    Flute 1
    Flute 2
    Oboe
    Clarinet in Bb 1
    Clarinet in Bb 2
    Bass Clarinet
    Bassoon
    I am very grateful that you found it enjoyable.

Tom

Hi Tom! I think that this is a nice representative quartal piece in the non tertian tradition. My own personal preference is to hear quartal sounds being contrasted to tertian sounds in the same piece. I think that the quartal harmonies can have more drama when used in this way.
    Thanks for posting this. Jay

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01 View Post
    Hi Tom! I think that this is a nice representative quartal piece in the non tertian tradition. My own personal preference is to hear quartal sounds being contrasted to tertian sounds in the same piece. I think that the quartal harmonies can have more drama when used in this way.
    Thanks for posting this. Jay
    Thank you for listening, Jay.

Contrasting quartal and tertial harmonies can indeed be quite effective, yet an essential part of the quartal system is the pleasurable method the brain uses to cope with a never-quite reached resolution. The implication of resolution can be provided, but it is left to the imagination of the listener as to when, or even if, that resolution would ever be reached. It is always a matter for the listener to decide, and every so often I enjoy a step out of the comfort zone.

Tom

Hi, Tom - Great to see you posting some music. After all your hassles with notation programs over the past few months, I'm relieved to see you're plowing ahead.

"A Lost Spirit" is an impressive piece that I've been enjoying listening to. Interesting collisions and passages, creating what I found to be a satisfyingly uneasy atmosphere.

Thanks for sharing, Tom.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hi, Tom - Great to see you posting some music. After all your hassles with notation programs over the past few months, I'm relieved to see you're plowing ahead.

"A Lost Spirit" is an impressive piece that I've been enjoying listening to. Interesting collisions and passages, creating what I found to be a satisfyingly uneasy atmosphere.

Thanks for sharing, Tom.

Randy
    Thank you, Randy.

I finally got to download WORLD from Garritan and had considerable help concerning Finale 2012 from makemusic. Also, considerable helpful input from yourself and others.

I have received a note from a professor in Indiana requesting to use “A Lost Spirit” in a classroom discussion on quartal harmony. Naturally I said, “Yes.” He also got me considering a new choral piece in quartal harmony. It would work well with a well trained or professional choir. It will be great when we eventually get Garritan Choir samples including solos and words and… and… well, you know.

I would have put “A Lost Spirit” on the Listening room earlier, but it took a very long time for “Dakota Sunrise” to progress to the second page.

I enjoyed A Lost Spirit quite a bit. It's cool that somebody wants to use this in a lecture on quartal harmony.

I've done a bit of experimentation with quartal but only using the piano. Unfortunately my experiments always sound too much like Debussy.... Someday I need to attempt something like this with woodwinds.

In my opinion, with how slow the forum is moving I doubt if anyone would complain if you posted a little early, particularly if there has been no "action" on your previous post in over a week.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post

I would have put “A Lost Spirit” on the Listening room earlier, but it took a very long time for “Dakota Sunrise” to progress to the second page.
    Oh dear. You're the second person who recently has said they were waiting for their posts to go to the second page before posting new music. I'm feeling responsible for your concern, since several times in General Discussion, I've reminded people of the posting guidelines.

But this is taking it far too literally. The only reason I've posted anything about the rules in the past few months is that once in awhile someone, usually a newcomer, will post things in a row, on the same day, or one day apart. I need to inform newbies that they should wait a bit between posts, and remind the rest of us of the guidelines.

But I've also been pointing out that the guidelines as posted here in the Sticky Post cannot be followed literally anymore. They were written when traffic was much heavier in here.

The best we can do is use our own judgment and just not crowd each other. But we can't be waiting for things to get to the second page. I've been waiting almost a month between posts, and that's actually excessive- but when I post again, my old post is only about 1/2 way down the page.

So - please, I'm sorry I made you worry that much about it. Please post more often if you can.

Randy

Randy,

Your comments are appreciated and I will try to get a few more items in the room. However, it is only fair for me to say that I have been observing the posting rules primarily because I agreed with them. We need to continually encourage new compositions from members of all levels of accomplishment.

And Trent: I appreciate you taking the time to listen and I am very grateful that you enjoyed it. My own reason for using woodwinds was the way the Garritan winds seem to gel harmonically and play off each other without muddiness that occurs with the close intervals so frequent with quartal composition. My own works sometimes remind listeners of Hindemith. Well, that’s okay. I could certainly be compared to far, far worse. As you experiment may I suggest a strong bass line. Experimenting can be a lot of fun and not infrequently reveals a few little gems.

Tom

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast