• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO Aria Player not honoring some notation

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy GPO Aria Player not honoring some notation

This seems to be a new issue for Aria Player. It doesn't seem to be honoring markings for mezzo-piano, forte, etc. So the music is being played all at the same volume across all instruments.

Any idea why this is? This wasn't an issue when I first got GPO last year. The only thing that I'd say has changed would be I am running Sibelius 7 instead of 6. I can't imagine that would change how MIDI files are exported.

Thanks in advance,
    F.J.

Re: GPO Aria Player not honoring some notation

As far as I know, GPO for many a version has always used the mod wheel (CC1) to control volume, rather than velocity like many other libraries, at least for sustained instruments; so I would guess that something with your Sibelius setup is not set up to send CC1 to GPO for volume changes (and is sending the usual velocity instead). I don't use Sibelius myself, so I can't tell you where to look (I remember reading something about GPO 'sound sets' for Sibelius, but that's all I think of), but perhaps someone else can point you in the right direction.
    -- Matt

Yes, it sounds like you don't have the GPO soundsets for Sib which make the instruments respond to all your notation.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Yes, it sounds like you don't have the GPO soundsets for Sib which make the instruments respond to all your notation.

Randy
    I am having a very similar problem with GPO4. For some reason I don't understand, GPO4 is designed to ignore the imbedded volume value for strings, woodwind and brass. It seems to work for percussion. It does respond to CC7 volume values, which means one has to create extra CC7 codes to control volume. I just bought PrintMusic which now owns Garritan, and there seems to be this incompatibility between the 2. Hope they can get their act together on this.
    Cliff Lowe

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Lowe View Post
    I am having a very similar problem with GPO4. For some reason I don't understand, GPO4 is designed to ignore the imbedded volume value for strings, woodwind and brass. It seems to work for percussion. It does respond to CC7 volume values, which means one has to create extra CC7 codes to control volume. I just bought PrintMusic which now owns Garritan, and there seems to be this incompatibility between the 2. Hope they can get their act together on this.
    Cliff Lowe
    Well, it sounds like you also don't have the soundsets for GPO. As Daniel says at the Sib Forum:

"...Sibelius automatically translates the dynamics you write into the score into the appropriate MIDI controllers to change the volume, including for GPO4..."

CC7 controls the volume of the mixer's sliders. That's not the way to dynamically control GPO volume. That's done with CC1. But as long as you have things set up correctly in Sib, your score markings will send the controller messages to GPO that it needs.

More info from the Sib Forum:

"...You need to create a new Playback Configuration, and activate into that new configuration one or more instances of Aria player (and de-activate any players you do not want). Then click on the activated Aria player(s) under the "Sound Set" column to select the sound-set for GPO that you have installed. Save the new configuration, and use it in your scores.

See section 4.15 of the Sibelius 6 Reference..."

Randy

Okay, so I did some testing with Sibelius 7 and Garritan Personal Orchestra. I essentially created a plain one stave score and entered eight half notes and set the volume of each (using Shift-E and typing pp, p, mp, mf, f, ff, fff, pp under each note). I exported it to a General MIDI file and imported it into GPO Aria Player.

If I assign that track a Clarinet in B-Flat or any string instrument, the volume does NOT change. The notes are all played forte.
    If I assign that track a Steinway Piano or Timpani, the volume DOES change as notated.

What gives??!

Lastly, I understand how you use the mod wheel to change the volume of an instrument, what if you have scored a full orchestral piece - it's impossible to mod wheel twelve instruments during playback - that's insane!

Thanks for all the information thus far.

F.J.

Quote Originally Posted by fjharris View Post
    Okay, so I did some testing with Sibelius 7 and Garritan Personal Orchestra. I essentially created a plain one stave score and entered eight half notes and set the volume of each (using Shift-E and typing pp, p, mp, mf, f, ff, fff, pp under each note). I exported it to a General MIDI file and imported it into GPO Aria Player.

If I assign that track a Clarinet in B-Flat or any string instrument, the volume does NOT change...
    I don't quite understand your experiment. Why did you export to a GM file? Those volume notations don't get exported with MIDI - they're just for notation programs. Why aren't you experimenting with GPO inside Sib, since that's the issue you're having?

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    I don't quite understand your experiment. Why did you export to a GM file? Those volume notations don't get exported with MIDI - they're just for notation programs. Why aren't you experimenting with GPO inside Sib, since that's the issue you're having?

Randy
    Actually I have never used GPO from within Sibelius. I am wanting to output the music to an AIFF file, is there a way to do this from within Sibelius? How does one get the GPO to appear in Sib? I have looked under the sound sets and all I see are Sibelius 6 and 7 sound sets, nothing relating to GPO.

Also, if those notations don't get included in the MIDI file then why did the piano change volume when played in the Aria Player? As well as the timpani? The only instruments that don't seem to honor those notations are woodwinds and strings.

Thanks,
    F.J.

PS. It should be noted that I purchased GPO separately from Sibelius. Does this make a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by fjharris View Post
    Actually I have never used GPO from within Sibelius. I am wanting to output the music to an AIFF file, is there a way to do this from within Sibelius? How does one get the GPO to appear in Sib? I have looked under the sound sets and all I see are Sibelius 6 and 7 sound sets, nothing relating to GPO...
    I've been misunderstanding you on this thread. I've never heard of someone trying to use GPO in this round-about way you're describing, so was assuming you were talking about using GPO in Sibelius, the way most people use it.

OK, so my earlier post with quotes I looked up for you at the Sibelius Forum weren't helpful because they were in reference to using GPO as a sound source in Sib.

So the short answer is "Yes"--you can use GPO in Sibelius. But you need the soundsets for it, and apparently you don't since you're saying those soundsets aren't showing up in your choices.

Here are two threads I've looked up this morning at the Sib site. One is the thread I got the quotes from. Please go and read through that:

http://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/help...pid=3&&guest=1

Then, here's the page at Sib where you can download and install the GPO soundsets:

http://www.sibelius.com/helpcenter/r...soundsets.html

Randy

HOLY

COW

Okay, I just figured out how to add the Aria player into Sib 7 and I am flipping out right now because I feel like a complete IDIOT! This has solved my problem BIG TIME and I noticed that Sibelius can output directly to a sound file...wow isn't that amazing?

Well, no more MIDI exporting and all that junk for me.

Thank you VERY much Randy.

Feeling stupid,
    F.J.

Go Back to forum