• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Gigasampler as a synthesizer

Gigasampler as a synthesizer

Has anyone programmed synth sounds using Gigasampler like a synthesizer. In other words, by using simple waveforms and GS\'s enveloping, LFO\'s and filters. How good do Gigasamplers filters sound? How good is the resolution of the envelopes? I know that\'s not what GS is known for, but I\'ve been trying to simplify my setup, and would love to use nothing but Gigasampler. I don\'t really want to use long synth samples. I am more interested in assigning controllers to the filter and having tweakable sounds. It looks like GS can do this. My question is how well?

Laurence Kingston

Re: Gigasampler as a synthesizer

In my opinion this isn\'t a great application for for GS. The filters for GS sound very good (I\'m picky and I have no beef with their sound) but the modulation possibilities are limited, you can\'t really dynamically control resonance how I\'d like, and resonance doesn\'t go near full Q, sine wave output, it\'s still pretty tame at its full Q. You can\'t independently modulate Q, you can tie it to cutoff and assign it to the mod wheel so you have high Q at high Fc, which is sometimes what you want but it procludes say tuning and amplifying a huge bass at some low frequency. You could modulate Q in a few discreet steps by putting Q steps on a dimenension, but you only have 32 \'cases\' for all the controls you want to do, they\'re too valuable for this. Similarly you can\'t really modulate envelopes, so there\'s another tweak out (I use dimensions for this too).

You don\'t get a modulation matrix or a wide variety of mod destinations, to some extent you can work around this with the dimensions, but like I said, you run out of cases quickly. The envelopes sound fine, better than a couple of hardware synths I have.

I\'m not down at all on GS, it\'s one of my favorites, you can build superior instruments with it, but for analog synth sounds, you\'ll want to complement it with another soft synth or hardware, there are so many great ones now.

[This message has been edited by Sam (edited 03-13-2000).]

Here\'s a quote from the Gigastudio promo:

Instrument Editor Featuring advanced synthesis tools like multi-mode resonant filters, multiple envelopes and LFOs, drag and drop sample assignment, and up to 32 samples per key, GigaStudio\'s enhanced Instrument Editor combines maximum sound design flexibility with intuitive functionality.

Maybe Gigastudio will fix some of these synthesis deficiencies. I have a JV2080 with 8 expander cards in it. Thanks to Gigasampler I only use the Vintage Synth and Techno cards now. Gigastudio may replace even these!

Which soft synths do you consider the best on market?
    Reaktor, VAZ Modular, Dreamstation, Reality

Did you hear any VST2 instrument in action? (ModelE, Pro5,..)

Which soft synths do you consider the best on market?
    Reaktor, VAZ Modular, Dreamstation, Reality

I own two: Reality and one you didn\'t mention called Virtual Waves sold by a French company called \"Synoptic\". Reality is kind of cool, but I hardly use it. Virtual Waves is modular .wav generator rather than a real time synth, It\'s pretty good for generating samples to play back from Gigasampler though. I used to like it a lot, but it\'s been a long time since the last update.

It\'s been a while since I last checked the demos of some of the others, and I hadn\'t even heard about Dreamstation or VAZ Modular. I\'ll check them out in short order.

One real problem with all the soft synths is that I\'m pretty much committed to running Cakewalk and Gigasampler on my computer. I have run Cakewalk, Gigasampler and Reality concurrently, but that\'s not a hard configuration to overload. One of the main reason\'s I\'m looking forward to having Gigasampler ported over to Windows 2000 is that when I finally can add the second CPU to my 2 processor motherboard, I may actually have enough horsepower to run a softsynth in addition to Cakewalk and Gigasampler! Of course, so far Seer Systems has not announced plans for supporting Win 2K, but one can always hope one of these companies will!

One thing I\'m considering is adding a Nord Modular to my setup. The new software control looks great and the overhead would be minimal. Of course that is an expensive way to do it and it wouldn\'t be nearly as upgradeable. My favorite solution would be for Gigasampler to buff up their synth features. If they did that it would be hard to beat.

Making Gigasampler available as a Cubase virtual instrument wouldn\'t be a bad idea either. I talked with Dave Govett about this at a seminar a while back, but these things take time I\'m sure. I\'m basically a Cakewalk user anyway, so it\'s not like it would do me a whole lot of good.

It looks like the filters are going to be a little stronger on Gigastudio. That is a big step in the right direction. Now if we could just get a few more modulation routings...

Let\'s have a competition!!!! The task should be that with just clean, non filtered samples, sinus, sawtooth or square, make a gig using only the Gigasampler filters.
    I\'ll give one copy of \'Worra\'s Prophet\' to the winner. Send in your contributions to \'Worra\'s Place\', http://www.worrasplace.com, use the upload and write \'Gigasampler as a synth\' in the comments field.

Worra, I like it! The gauntlet has been
    thrown down, these should be some of the
    smallest gigs ever. What do you propose
    for a contest deadline?

I bet this will be fun and educational...

Count me in too. I\'ve already ordered Worra\'s Prophet, but what a great challenge.

[This message has been edited by Laurence (edited 03-15-2000).]

Ok Laurence.

If you win, you can have another Bigga Giggas....

I have a demo of Virtual Waves and it is pretty cool progy. Too bad it\'s not realtime, but nice sound morphing

Regarding the VAZ Modular and DreamStation, very good sound and you should check them ASAP. Also the maginificent Pro5 (heaven).

How is your APS? I remember you were very active in APS newsgroup.I even wrote you a email you havent responded
    Do you still suffer from 48/44,1 issue

Gigasampler is so great that I am thinking of getting rid of my APS? What about you?

take care

Go Back to forum