• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: orchestral perc. library update!!!

Share/Bookmark

orchestral perc. library update!!!

The library is finished!!! The master copy is going out to Nemesys on Monday and now the ball will be in their court. I just posted a demo mainly to show off the timpani. I should also mention that we are already planning other projects so anything that was not covered in these 3 discs please let us know and we will definately get to it! This has been a really fun project for myself and Sean and we appreciate everyones feedback through the process.

Sincerely,
    Donnie and Sean

PS. the next step is probably going to be latin/world perc. and drum set, then a marimba and vibes cd, the suppliments to the orchestral cd. These suppliments will be single cd\'s full of just ONE instrument (ie. snare drums, tamb, timpani etc.) And yes we will offer them at a low price for those who have the first library!

Re: orchestral perc. library update!!!

Great! I am looking forward to trying out your percussion library. Keep up the good work!

Jan

We were really hoping to get some feedback on the timpani...any comments?

dc

The Tympani sounds really great. Better than any sampled tympani I\'ve heard! I can\'t wait to get me mitts on these samples! Feel like trading for some half finished brass?
    -Jamey

We were really hoping to get some feedback on the timpani...any comments? - The Tympani sounds really great. Better - than any sampled tympani I\'ve heard! I - can\'t wait to

I concur. The hits are great and I like that natural decay. The only weird thing that came off on the timpani demo is the consistancy of the stereo imaging. The louder hits had a wider stereo image, or was there more than one timpani sample used? I\'m not sure but the library sounds fantastic. Great job.

Regards,
    Gulliver.

Actually what you are hearing is the room. On the softer hits the mic\'s obviously does not pick up as much of the room whereas the louder hits get more of an ambiant sound...just like in real life! kind\'ve cool hugh?

dc

ps.. great observation! I never would of thought of that to tell everyone.

[This message has been edited by donnie (edited 03-13-2000).]

One thing that does concern me in general, is that the sound of the room has a large impact on the general character of each instrument. For large orchestral mixes, I always use a large hall reverb in order to make all of the samples from different recording rooms mesh together in a unified environment. I\'m just afraid that adding even more reverb to these already characterized samples will muddy up the character of the sounds rather than add ambience. Have you tried adding artificial reverb to these samples?
    -J

Another very good observation...

The whole idea of doing the samples the way we did them was because of how every other percussion sample out there sounds. No matter how much reverb you add or anything else you do with them they still sound like they are right in your face.
    The principal behind recording them with some ambiance in them is so that you have to nothing at all to them to make them sound natural in a mix. Dave from Nemesys was the first one to comment on this when he got the samples and put them into some pieces of his.
    But to answer you question; yes you can add more reverb to them and they will sound fine. One other thing I would point out to anyone composing using samples is that often time reverb is used to much to try to place a sound. That is actually what causes things to sound muddy.

dc

One thing that does concern me in general, is that the sound of the room has a large impact on the general character of each instrument. For large orchestral mixes, I always use a large hall reverb in order to make all of the samples from different recording rooms mesh together in a unified environment.

I used to do that and I still do to a small degree but now I just separate each orchestra section (perc, brass, wood, violins, vla/vc/cb) and apply different reverb to each. I then eventually add a final weak layer of hall reverb to mesh the lot. I\'ve done this because I\'ve had a hell of a time mixing samples with natural ambience (like miroslav) with those that are dry (advanced orchestra brass) Works great because you can apply such things as stronger pre-delay to french horns without effecting the rest of the instruments in the orchestra. I have yet to come across a reverb system that actually mimics the true sonic interactions that happen in a natural hall. A large hall reverb technically does not mesh anything because it does not treat or recognize an indivisual sound source but cakewalk came close with something called Audio AFX 3 (dx plugin)

(ps donnie - did I foolishly say that that stereo imaging thing was weird? it\'s great now i think about it in terms of mixing

Regards,
    Gulliver.
    vorch@home.com

Thought you might be wondering if the Sean that Donnie is mentioning might be a phantom. No, here I am. Just wanted to post and say thanks for all the input, advice and positive comments since this project started. Keep it coming (even if not positive). Any ideas for future projects and the supplements that we plan on releasing are encouraged and appreciated. We know what we want, let us know what you want. The first library should be out soon. Hope you enjoy it.

Sean

Go Back to forum