• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Listening Room - I think we need to relax a bit

Share/Bookmark

The Listening Room - I think we need to relax a bit

Please bear with me: In the past few months, a couple of times I've brought up the topic of The Listening Room guidelines. Those posts were written in the wake of complaints that Forum members would send me via PM.

But the cases remain very few when someone posts in the LR so frequently as to cause a problem.

Most typically, it's newcomers who aren't aware of the expectations. I send them a friendly PM explaining how we take turns posting in the LR, and invariably, they react very nicely, appreciating that I contacted them. Much more rarely, an older member of the Forum will suddenly post things several days in a row, and I feel they just need to be reminded of the guidelines.

BUT I can see now that by bringing the topic up at all, some members have become hyper vigilant about the rules, and are waiting for weeks and weeks before posting new material, because they're taking the old guidelines literally and waiting for previous posts to sink to the second page.

I'm sorry for inspiring some people to over-react like that. When I've posted on this topic, it's for reasons stated above. I've never meant to say that the old sticky post from 2007 needs to be followed precisely. Those guidelines were written when the traffic in the LR was 10 times heavier than it is now. There were a few instances of Forum members who were posting very frequently, pushing some posts to the second page before anyone had the chance to notice them, and so the need for official guidelines arose.

But those days are very much in the past. The LR, as with all these pages, moves very slowly. For anyone to wait for their music to go to the second page is an inordinate hardship. It's silly to stick with that guideline which doesn't relate to current conditions in the LR.

Unfortunately, there are no officially revised guidelines to follow. We each just have to use common sense, interpreting the guidelines as we see fit. That's been working out OK, with nobody hogging the space. The only negative outcome of us all using our own judgement, is that some people aren't posting music as often as they could, out of a hyper vigilance to the outmoded rules.

If you still feel it's necessary to wait for your music to go to the second page, then of course you should do what you think is right. But I would ask you to re-consider if that's your feeling - Because right now, with some people waiting so incredibly long between posts, it's causing a slow Forum to move even More slowly. If we could all adjust the guidelines in a reasonable way, and simply make sure nobody's being crowded - then we'd have a more interesting, faster paced Listening Room.

I've been waiting on the average of a month between posts - I'm not a good example. That's really a very long time - and even when waiting that long, my previous post is usually only about 1/2 way down the front page when I post something new. As a moderator, I feel the need to be cautious - But really, I feel everyone else could easily post much more often than I do.

SO - discuss if you have input. I just felt the need to bring this up again, because I feel badly that several people have been waiting for an incredibly inordinate amount of time to post, out of what I think is a too-strict adherence to the now outmoded rules.

Randy

Re: The Listening Room - I think we need to relax a bit

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    ...I feel badly that several people have been waiting for an incredibly inordinate amount of time to post, out of what I think is a too-strict adherence to the now outmoded rules.

Randy
    And I know I'm pretty much just talking to myself on this topic--lol-- but I do hope people waiting forever between posts will feel free to post in the LR a bit more often.

I'm feeling like kind of a schmo, waiting a month or more between posts, out of concern of hogging the space. I could get in gear and finish posting the other half of "Tom Sawyer"--wow, I started that last July!

But other folks obviously think of the guidelines in a Very different light, feeling it's OK to post two pieces in the same day even. SO- guess we just do whatever we want.

There it is. Let's just keep getting the music up, in whatever way you feel comfortable.

Randy

Re: The Listening Room - I think we need to relax a bit

Sounds great to me.
    ~Rodney

Go Back to forum