• Register
  • Help

Topic: A new Symphonic Poem

Share/Bookmark

A new Symphonic Poem

Hello everyone,

This is my Symphonic Poem No. 5, which is titled "The Rumble". It's a short Piece depicting a gang fight, and since i am dallas, i see a lot of that. It took me about 3 days. The instrumentation is full orchestra.

Here it is: http://www.box.com/s/c745abc0496fbacb06b0
    And here is the Score: http://www.box.com/s/6354cee81f18e091e727

Everything is GPO4 Except the Reverb (Altiverb 6 Environment Konzerthaus Vienna) And the Anvils (From a Soundfont by Tobias Marberger, Copyright 2005.)

Enjoy!
    Quinn Mason

Re: A new Symphonic Poem

Hello, Quinn

Well, I have to say the unavoidable - This owes more than a little bit to Leonard Bernstein's great "The Rumble" from "West Side Story."

Your piece isn't without interest, but it's such a borrowing, more protracted, less punchy and dramatic than the original - I'm not sure what I could say about it.

Well, I could also point out that Bernstein's original was written in the 1950's. It was a product of its time, and the music worked. But to hear similar stylings in a portrayal of modern gangs sounds anachronistic. Something more driving, perhaps using electronics and rhythms from current pop music that gangs listen to could be more appropriate.

OK, I also want to say that this recording suffers from all of the classic problems in things rendered from notation programs without the use of humanization plugins. It's full of unnatural machine gunning caused by the quantization necessary in a notation program.

We're all influenced by things we hear, especially the things we really like. It's better to put a good distance of time between hearing favorite pieces like that and writing something of our own, otherwise too much similarity to other works can prevent us from being original.

Randy

Well, I can respect that.

I did take half of the inspiration from "West side story", having watched it in class and paying close attention to the music.

Here in dallas, most gangs dont listen to pop music, but to "Gangsta rap" Music with heavy percussion, hence the heavy percussion use.

But yes, it does remind one of the rumble scene, although, mine is more original. This is my first time writing a completely atonal piece, let alone for orchestra, and i can say that i did really well.

But when i write my ballet "School Story", I will think of the 2010s.

Thank you,
    Quinn Mason

Quote Originally Posted by Symphonynumbertwo View Post
    But yes, it does remind one of the rumble scene, although, mine is more original. This is my first time writing a completely atonal piece, let alone for orchestra, and i can say that i did really well.
    More original? I hope that's not a comparative statement? as in "yes but mine is more original than Bernstein's is"?
    Because if anyone can mention that it bears more than a passing resemblence to the Rumble ballet music from West Side Story, then it is certainly not "original". Don't forget that Bernstein's music, on the other hand, was earth-shatteringly new at the time it was written.

Personally, I find it bears a slight resemblence, probably not enough for me to scream "plagiarism!". I'd say more "yes, influenced and inspired by".

However, it is also not "completely atonal". It may not be "common practice" tonal, but it's certainly not "atonal". There are far too many key-center references in the work for that.

By the way, I don't know if it's just me, but the recording is FAR too loud and clips and distorts horribly.

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post

However, it is also not "completely atonal". It may not be "common practice" tonal, but it's certainly not "atonal". There are far too many key-center references in the work for that.

By the way, I don't know if it's just me, but the recording is FAR too loud and clips and distorts horribly.
    Yes, man, i'm trying to say that. it does revolve around f minor in some parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Symphonynumbertwo View Post
    Yes, man, i'm trying to say that. it does revolve around f minor in some parts.
    well, you DID say: "This is my first time writing a completely atonal piece" , so I didn't notice any mention of f minor.

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    well, you DID say: "This is my first time writing a completely atonal piece" , so I didn't notice any mention of f minor.

Oh My bad. Let me reword that:

?????????!!!!!!!!

Or in english:

There is no f minor!!!!! It's Horrible music, and that's why i still love it!!!

Go Back to forum