• Register
  • Help

Topic: More music from my show "TOM SAWYER"

Share/Bookmark

More music from my show "TOM SAWYER"

"One Step at a Time" and underscoring
    (click image for MP3)

Continuing chronologically, here are three short things from the show. I've put them all together on one MP3 for the Forum.

1) :00 to :12 Scene transition music after Tom and Huck decide to raft up the river to Jackson's Island where they can hide from Injun Joe.

2) :13 to 1:40 Muff Potter, framed for the murder of Doc Robinson by Injun Joe, awaits trial. In one of the few down moments in the show, he contemplates his wreck of a life in "One Step At a Time."

3) 1:42 to 2:30 After visiting Muff in jail, the boys, together with pal Josh Harper, meet at the river and start out on their rafting adventure. This is underscoring to dialogue, and to the action of the boys pretending to be commanding a great ship:

---a) Transition into the scene, the boys meet, call out the secret password.
    ---b) underscoring to brief dialogue before they jump on the raft.
    ---c) They shove off, the music swells, Tom barking out commands like a gruff sea captain.
    ---d) The mood settles as they slow down, and enjoy drifting down the river in the moonlight. (And that's a song cue - Next time!)

Quotes from several of the show's songs are heard throughout the underscoring cues.

These Garritan instruments were used in combination with bass, drums, and distorted electric guitar from other sources:

1st underscore cue:

Banjo - WORLD
    From GPO:
    Full strings, violins 1, violins 2, violas, cellos, basses
    Tympani
    Tambourine
    Sam Horn solo
    Tuba solo

"One Step at a Time"

Harmonica - JABB (with manually automated wah wah)
    From GPO:
    Full strings
    Steinway Piano Duo 1 and 2 detuned for Honky Tonk Piano

2nd underscore cue:

Dulcimer - WORLD
    Mandolin - WORLD
    From GPO and group instruments from CMB:
    Orch percuss
    Xylophone
    Block
    Full strings, violins 1, violins 2, violas, cellos, basses
    Piccolo groups 1 and 2
    Flute groups 1 and 2

Clar groups 1 and 2
    Bassoon solos 1 and 2
    Trump solos 1 and 2
    Trumpet group
    Tuba solo
    Tuba group
    Sam Horn solo
    Horn group
    Trom solo
    Trom group
    Glissando Harp

Randy

Re: More music from my show "TOM SAWYER"

The music in this section sounds quite a bit more sophisticated than previous T. S. posts. I like it very much. It reminds a little of DORIAN. Not in content or anything like that, but in a bigger and more complex sound. I really like the fullness that you get with the instrument whether it is few or many. I have plans to do something with a traditional wind ensemble and I am going to try like heck to get the presence of sound that you do.
    As always, thanks for the post. Jay

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01 View Post
    The music in this section sounds quite a bit more sophisticated than previous T. S. posts. I like it very much. It reminds a little of DORIAN. Not in content or anything like that, but in a bigger and more complex sound. I really like the fullness that you get with the instrument whether it is few or many. I have plans to do something with a traditional wind ensemble and I am going to try like heck to get the presence of sound that you do.
    As always, thanks for the post. Jay
    Thank you, Jay!--First kid on the block to stop by the new thread - I appreciate it.

Yes, the songs are kept fairly simple throughout the show. Then, I had a blast going back through the show, after the songs were finished, and writing the instrumental bits- scene transitions and underscoring. They're generally bigger productions than the songs, big orchestral sections, and consisting of pastiches from various musical motifs in the songs. It was fun to stretch out with these cues, freely underlining the emotional shifts of the script, and not needing to be concerned about keeping things simple for the singers.

Glad you like!

Randy

I enjoyed the latest installment of Tom Sawyer. I've enjoyed all of the songs so far but have to agree with Jay that the underscoring here is a bit more sophisticated. Looking forward to the next installment.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd View Post
    I enjoyed the latest installment of Tom Sawyer. I've enjoyed all of the songs so far but have to agree with Jay that the underscoring here is a bit more sophisticated. Looking forward to the next installment.
    Hi, Trent - I always appreciate knowing that you've had a listen. Thanks for being such a faithful listener and respondent.

Maybe you didn't see my reply to Jay's post. As I said there, - yes indeed, the underscoring for the show is definitely more in the cinematic mold than the songs. I spread out, underscored the emotional content and transitions of the script. A very different task from writing the relatively simple, singable songs for the cast.

Previous to this post, I've only posted one of the instrumental pieces - the Cemetery underscoring which is also a big, complex piece with a large instrumentation. Otherwise, I've skipped many underscoring cues, focusing on posting the show's songs.

The third part of the MP3 on this post is one of the biggest, most sweeping instrumental cues in the show, packed with brief quotes from the songs. I can hardly wait to see a production of the show where the connecting bits like that short cue should help propel the action in the way I've intended.

Thanks for sticking with me, Trent!

Randy

Randy, I can just hear the crowd cheering after "One Step at a Time," great melodic contour and chord progressions. I could still sing the melody in my head when the song was over. Are you getting the musical performed anytime soon?
    ~Rodney

Quote Originally Posted by composingatnight View Post
    Randy, I can just hear the crowd cheering after "One Step at a Time," great melodic contour and chord progressions. I could still sing the melody in my head when the song was over. Are you getting the musical performed anytime soon?
    ~Rodney
    Why, thank you so much, Rodney! Being a short, downer moment in the show, I imagine other numbers will get more cheers - but I'm glad you can hear the crowd after this number too. Given a strong, poignant performance, the singer/actor should get some good applause I think. Nice to hear this sticks with you!

It's still up in the air if this is going to be produced by the theatre group I wrote it for. I'm hoping! I'm starting to put out other feelers also, because I do need it to be done on stage before I can have it published. Everything just takes so much darned time.

Thanks again!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Why, thank you so much, Rodney! Being a short, downer moment in the show, I imagine other numbers will get more cheers - but I'm glad you can hear the crowd after this number too. Given a strong, poignant performance, the singer/actor should get some good applause I think. Nice to hear this sticks with you!

It's still up in the air if this is going to be produced by the theatre group I wrote it for. I'm hoping! I'm starting to put out other feelers also, because I do need it to be done on stage before I can have it published. Everything just takes so much darned time.

Thanks again!

Randy
    Well it reminds me of my childhood days at Disney Land's Tom Sawyer's Island--hiding out from Injun Joe in the caves.
    Nice work. Effective for the part.

Quote Originally Posted by jdsnyderii View Post
    Well it reminds me of my childhood days at Disney Land's Tom Sawyer's Island--hiding out from Injun Joe in the caves.
    Nice work. Effective for the part.
    Jim, you totally tripped me out with your response - I wasn't still a kid when I first went to Disneyland, but I have a vivid memory of going to Tom Sawyer's Island, and for a moment when I as in the middle of those caves, it was pitch black, and I had a momentary panic not knowing how to get out! hehe.

Since you're into all that, just you wait. Some juicy stuff coming up later with Injun Joe, the caves, all that.

Thanks much.

Randy

Go Back to forum