• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question: Fee for 30 to 60 seconds of music

Share/Bookmark

Question: Fee for 30 to 60 seconds of music

Ok, I have been asked how much I would charge for a 60 second piece of music to use with an audio book, or a trailer for a book. Any suggestions as to what a good/fair price would be?

Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: Question: Fee for 30 to 60 seconds of music

how many hours will you spend on it?

only you can know that.

what is a fair hourly rate?

if you charge them $100, but work for 200hrs, then you are most definitely not charging a "fair rate".

Here is a chart with suggested rates.

If it's an indie project, you'll find standard composer rates vary between about $100 and $300 per minute for this type of thing. The rate increases as you get up to the more commercial projects.

Having said that it also depends on your experience, speed of work etc. In general media composers are used to writing about 2-2.5 minutes of music per day so the rates are generally around that, as well as the budget and scope of the project -- but in the indie world I see $100-300 most of the time.

This may be a sensitive issue for some. It's the "wild west" out there and anyone can make any deal. There is no overriding "standard" except what the market will bear - and that depends on what market you're in.

Having said that, qccowboy's rate chart looks about right (in my own experience) for current (2012) work in USD. I don't charge by the hour or the bar - I negotiate a flat rate at the beginning of the project, getting the "money dealings" out of the way, so that we can concentrate on the music. I usually ask for half up front and half on delivery. I continue my services past delivery to provide prompt corrections (of which, hopefully, there will be few!) and copies (digital and/or hard copy).

Hope that helps!

EDIT: I just re-read you post. You might want to get in touch with your licensing agency (BMI, ASCAP, SESAC) about on-going usages in audiobooks. It seems like there should be some sort of "mechanical" license there. I am woefully under informed about such things however. Perhaps another member of this board has clearer ideas.
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Reberclark has hit the nail on the head. There is a completely different set of contracts/rules for things like you describe.

Thanks, guys. I don't want to scare the publisher away with an exorbitant fee, but I am a member of ASCAP and want to be fair in the market. I will check with ASCAP and see what the going rate is.

I also didn't think about an on-going license for an audio book. I need to do some homework.

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Bill,

I don't think there's a "going rate" for this. Obviously, if this is for a self published author, or a very small publisher, then your fees would be much less than if this was for Random House. Make sure in your contract that you specify the usage for your music. If it gets placed in other media, you should be compensated additionally for that. Are you getting a flat fee or are you being compensated per the number of sales? Make sure it's clear to all parties, if you are retaining the rights to your music, or are they purchasing those rights from you.

As far as numbers for comparison, Amazon's self publishing division, Createspace, offers a service to self published authors to create a book trailer. I believe they charge $2,500 to create a trailer, which includes both video and audio.

Good luck.

In a nutshell this is what I told the publisher ( a small local publisher):

1. I would ask first, what do you pay for a front cover illustration – granted, there is more man-hours in a cover design than 60 seconds of music.
    2. If the trailer, or audio book is sold or has a repeat showing there are licensing agreements to consider. I am a member of ASCAP.
    3. How much different music would be used in an audio book (each is a separate cost.)
    4. (The tough one): How much are you willing to pay

Now, with all that said, I think the best approach would be a royalty-free contract signed by your company and the composer (who ever you may go with.) That keeps all the issues above in-the-family, so to speak.

My rate for the examples I gave you would be $75 on a royalty-free contract. That number is based on the going rate for musical compositions. For a 30 minute rate the going standard is $1700-$2250 per 30 minutes of music. Doing the math, the cost for 1 minute (60 seconds) would be 1700/30 to 2250/30:

$57 to $75 per minute. Since it takes about two to three hours to create a 60 second piece of music, $75 would represent $25 per hour for 3 hours.

The samples have been posted in the Listening Room as Audio Book Samples.

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum