• Register
  • Help

Topic: Winds of the Amazon Full Mix

Share/Bookmark

Winds of the Amazon Full Mix

I took the bait and extended my MakeMusic contest entry. I am mostly happy with it, but wanted to let it settle a bit. So, I decided to post it to see how others felt.

Winds of the Amazon Full Mix

Take a listen and have fun.

Jim

Re: Winds of the Amazon Full Mix

Hey Jim! I had to download the mp3 because it kept stopping when I played online. (probably because of its size). I liked it. I thought the beginning was very effective. It really sounded amazon like. I also thought the render was good. I was not sure of the solo instrument used in the upbeat section. Was it harmonica? I thought the development of the musical content was nice. (change of instrumentation etc.). For my taste though, I would have liked to hear more variety in melodic and harmonic content. That's just me though. What did you use for the melodic percussion? It sounds like some type of broad floor tom or something.
    Anyway, nice post. Jay

Wow!!! This is nice. You really did a fine job with using the thematic material and developing it. I am impressed. The opening section gave me a feel of James Bond in the Amazon. It had that stylistic flavor to it and worked quite well. The upbeat section was a nice foot tapping section. It felt like a south American dance. Oh and the Herb Alpert trumpet section, that was a really nice treat for my ears.

Now, I say that is what can be done with a 2 measure phrase of melody without repeating the original over and over and over and over ad nauseaum. You handle the thematic material very well. My hat is off to you. Congratulations on a fine piece of music. Thanks for sharing it.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Good goin', Jim - It was a great idea to expand your MM contest entry. I always really liked yours, and it sounded like something wanting to spread out a bit more.

I really like the new "dance" section in the middle. Has a nice drive to it with some really nice solo work from the JABB instruments.

um-- I think Jay may have been referring to the Sax in that middle section - but, I don't get how it could be interpreted as a harmonica--??---

I think the James Bonds reference comes from the rising and falling chord progression in the original section. One of those unavoidable associations when something has a similar progression - and there's Always a comparison to be made somewhere.

You must feel more satisfied now, to have expanded this. I think it sounds great!

Randy

I think the James Bonds reference comes from the rising and falling chord progression in the original section. One of those unavoidable associations when something has a similar progression - and there's Always a comparison to be made somewhere.
    Yeah, Randy's right. I get sucked into hearing those kind of references all the time. I always had a problem with the William Tell Overture after my years of watching the Lone Ranger as a kid.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Thanks for the nice feedback. I might revisit some of the solo's and things here and there but I am 95% happy.
    If it is helpful to anyone, I can list the instruments I used. I am not sure about the melodic percussion question, but I think that you are referring to the GORD. Since many of these gords have a pitch bending hole in them, I just used the pitch bend on the gord to get 'ooooOOOooomp" sound (if that is a sound anyways).

Jim

Nice material, enjoyed the music.

What I find as really impressive is the balance and position of each of the parts, the depth that the recording creates. Great Job!

brsmith
    www.brsmusic.net

Hey Jim, its me again. I hope that you did not think my harmonica reference was intended as a negative one. I re listened to your piece and right after 3:17 or so, the attack, decay and note bend of the solo instrument really does sound like the lower register of a harmonica to me. The melodic percussive instrument I was referring to was the 'ooooOOOooomp' sound. I like it. Is the gord from world instruments?
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01 View Post
    Hey Jim, its me again. I hope that you did not think my harmonica reference was intended as a negative one. I re listened to your piece and right after 3:17 or so, the attack, decay and note bend of the solo instrument really does sound like the lower register of a harmonica to me. The melodic percussive instrument I was referring to was the 'ooooOOOooomp' sound. I like it. Is the gord from world instruments?
    Jay
    No worries. There is a Bari and tenor sax from Jabb3. That is likely what you are hearing. The gord is also in Jabb3.

Very well done! Nice Latin feel and good instrument textures, great!!

Go Back to forum