• Register
  • Help

Topic: Back at it...

Share/Bookmark

Back at it...

Hi everybody!

New to the forum. New to GPO4. Back to composing after a 20 year break. I have a few short pieces up at http://soundcloud.com/arvid-peterson/sets/classical-1/ I would appreciate any feedback or criticism of a technical, composing or arranging nature. STill LEARNING how best to use GPO automation for instrumentation variations. SONAR X1 Professional is my DAW. constructive criticism around melodies feel and especially transitions (I know I need to work on that a lot) is kind of what I'm shooting for. Or advice on midi parameters... Re-learning a lot!!

THANKS!

Re: Back at it...

Quote Originally Posted by Arvid Peterson View Post
    Hi everybody!

New to the forum. New to GPO4. Back to composing after a 20 year break. I have a few short pieces up at http://soundcloud.com/arvid-peterson/sets/classical-1/ I would appreciate any feedback or criticism of a technical, composing or arranging nature. STill LEARNING how best to use GPO automation for instrumentation variations. SONAR X1 Professional is my DAW. constructive criticism around melodies feel and especially transitions (I know I need to work on that a lot) is kind of what I'm shooting for. Or advice on midi parameters... Re-learning a lot!!

THANKS!
    Inspiring message you've posted, Arvid - It's great to hear about someone returning to music after such a long pause. The current sophistication of software instruments and recording programs opens up a whole new world to the musically inclined - I'm glad to hear you're getting back into it all.

Welcome to the Forum and welcome to GPO!

The Forum members who are more in touch with the pulse of modern non-melodic music will probably be able to speak to you more about your composition. The piece sounds random and un-edited to me, because I don't undrestand the music. So, no helpful feedback there. Let me touch on a few technical things instead, since you're wanting input in those areas also:

This is a string trio. Cello, Violin - and is that a second Violin or a Viola played in its upper registers? I wasn't sure. But in the mix, that second stringed instrument, whichever it is, is sitting in the same part of the stereo field as the cello, or awfully close to it. Try moving the pan knob so that second soloist is to the right, mirroring the position of the first Violin. And leave the Cello at center as you have it. That will balance things better. If the three instruments are sounding too separated from each other, just move them closer together, but still with some distance between them. I think you may have just used the default pannings of the instruments - You need to always listen to those to see if the settings are actually working for a particular piece. Basic point - two instruments are sitting on top of each other, and you can correct that.

The first Violin stays up in its upper octaves through the whole piece. This has to be a choice, and is something more in the realm of the actual composition - or maybe it's in the arranging department. All I know is that I found it grating to stay way up there in the stratosphere through the entire thing, rather than at least sometimes coming down into the more characteristic range for the Violin.

You have a very intimate sound, which is basically appropriate for this small combo. It sounds like they're playing in a small venue, and we, the listeners are sitting very close to the musicians. I appreciate an under-stated approach to reverberation - I think it would be a worthy experiment to try just a bit more reverb on the instruments, in a slightly larger room. All that is controlled logically enough with the Sends in ARIA's mixer, and choosing and editing a reverb setting also in ARIA.---BUT, once you get more comfortable using Sonar, I highly recommend that you keep your GPO instruments dry coming into Sonar, and then using the reverb controls inside Sonar - you can get more control and sophistication in your mix that way.

Be aware that Velocity controls how fast the attack of the notes are with most GPO instruments. At high values, there's a constant aggressiveness to the notes. I think you understand that, because I did hear some variation, with some notes gliding in more gently. I mention this Velocity control just to underscore the importance of paying attention to what your Velocity values are doing in a piece. In Sonar's Piano Roll View, you can edit Velocity values accurately, getting more control over the results. Right now I felt that there could be a too constant use of high, chiffing Velocity values.

--Well, those are some things that occured to me as I listened. Maybe some of it's going to be useful.

Be sure to keep coming back to the Forum. As Sonar and/or GPO questions arise, bring those things up in the General Discussion Forum which has the most traffic here.

THANKS for joining in, and for posting some music!

Randy

Go Back to forum