• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Re: GigaBrass

Share/Bookmark

Re: Re: GigaBrass

Wow! Thank you so much for making the effort on this. I will accept your challenge and post something as soon as I\'m done. Give me a couple of hours, though. If you give me your email address, I can send the .MP3s directly to you and you can post them on your site.
    Thanks again,
    Jamey

Wow! Thank you so much for making the effort on this. I will accept your challenge and post something as soon as I\'m done. Give me a couple of hours, though. If you give me your email address, I can send the .MP3s directly to you and you can post them on your site.

You can post your results (maybe in the form of a single suite) on northernsounds.com Unfortunately I don\'t have that much space on that webpage I put up. Again, good luck.
    I should note the brass section on those demos was not played back using Gigasampler but rather a cheap $80 sblive soundcard. I didn\'t have much time to setup it all up with Gigasampler but it didn\'t turn out that bad. I usually use a converted set of AO brass soundfonts for quick drafts or demos.

Regards,
    Gulliver.
    vorch@home.com

[This message has been edited by Gulliver (edited 02-17-2000).]

I\'m having a little trouble with your Olympic sequence. Is there a way that you can give me some instrument names for the midi file? I can\'t tell what is what within the sequence as the track names didn\'t transfer over.
    Thx,
    Jamey
    P.S. Please feel free to email them to my personal email address jscott@presto.com

Nevermind...I figured it out.

Okay, I\'ve posted my \"GigaBrass\" version of the Olympic theme for your comparison. This took me a couple of hours to do but that was because there is still a lot of tuning to be done on these samples. As you can tell, they\'re still not perfect, but they\'re getting there. The melody trumpet still needs some work on the attacks but that\'s all just programming and is next on my list to work on.

All this aside, I think it\'s still pretty obvious that this library is LIGHT YEARS ahead of the Advanced Orchestra brass in terms of sound quality and representation of the instruments. But, who cares what I think...what do YOU think??
    -Jamey

Re: GigaBrass

I\'d really appreciate some feedback on the sound quality of these things so that I know if I\'m on the right track or not. What I think sounds good could be completely different than what you guys may think. I\'m not interested in input as to what more types of articulations you think would be good, as the sampling part of this project is over (it cost a bloody fortune!).

Hello,

I\'ve been following the developments on your Gigabrass project and I thought I could help. Maybe the best way to asses the quality of samples you recorded is to compare them with one of the better sets of brass samples out there today, the Advanced Orchestra Brass. I think this comparison could be useful unless the goal of Gigabrass is completely different than what the AO brass are geared toward. What I did was put a simple webpage with two mp3 demos. Both feature the AO brass samples. The first track is a vivaldi concerto for two trumpets, the second is an olympic fanfare composed by John Williams. I also included the midi sequences so you can directly compare the performance utilizing your samples with the ones I recorded with AO brass. This way you can tweak your samples in private and hopefully you will let us know how it turns out. Good luck

that AO Brass webpage can be found @:
    [http://members.home.com/vorch/brass.htm]

Regards,
    Gulliver.

I listened to both files about 5 times each.
    First of all, to make a good comparison you should have exactly the same MIDI file. It\'s pretty obvious that the arrangement in the AO version is different than the Gigabrass.
    Trying to ignore this though, I found the AO brass more realistic. The Gigabrass sounded a bit thin and too bright. The AO brass has a fuller sound. Did you do some EQing on the samples or were they just recorded this bright? I also found the AO trombone and tuba sounded better.
    However there\'s one big problem with the AO trumpet section patch: the imaging is terrible. The patch is ok if you want a more ambient trumpet section, but it\'s pretty much impossible to pan it where you want to. I just got AO and am probably going to use the solo trumpet more than the section.

The same exact midi file was used, \"Gulliver\" just soloed different tracks than I.

Well, I guess you can\'t please everyone. I for one, dislike the AO brass. It\'s the reason I started this project in the first place. Miroslav\'s was passable, but too limited in its variations. AO had better variations, but sounds completely unrealistic to my ears.

Regarding the eq, I\'m hearing just the opposite. To my ears the AO brass sounds harsh and too bright whereas my brass sounds much warmer in tone and texture. I guess it\'s just what you\'re used to listening to. Or perhaps I\'m just not the seasoned pro that you are
    Cheers.

Would it be possible for us to hear the tests? Are your Gigabrass tests posted publicly. If so, where? I use AO and Miroslav and some Synclavier and am interested in new sounds.

Thanks,
    Mahlon Bouldin

I just uploaded an AO brass fanfare demo that I hope will give a good represenatation of exactly what that library is capable of.

dc

Trying to ignore this though, I found the AO brass more realistic. The Gigabrass sounded a bit thin and too bright. The AO brass has a fuller sound. Did you do some EQing on the samples or were they just recorded this bright? I also found the AO trombone and tuba sounded better.

At this point it might be a bit too early or premature to get a good idea of the Gigabrass samples. As far as I know Jamey is still working on them. All I can say is that the project has a lot of potential. The samples themselves are more expressive and natural than the robot-like set included with AO. I wouldn\'t be the first one to say that the AO brass is far from perfect. A lot of effort was put into creating fancy articulations (that can come in handy) but at the cost of fairly rigid, unexpressive basic legato samples, which are the bread and butter of any set.

Gulliver
    vorch@home.com

Go Back to forum