• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sonar and MIDI files for the "Sci-Fi" Instant Orchestra demo

Share/Bookmark

Sonar and MIDI files for the "Sci-Fi" Instant Orchestra demo

EDIT: Unfortunately, for now the Sonar files posted below won't work. To make that file, I opened up the old ARIA 1.128 project to tidy it up for sharing. But my machine has ARIA 1.16, the soon-to-be-released new version. As soon as the project was loaded into that new ARIA, it became a 1.16 project - and that made it no longer compatible with older versions. Here's an explanation from Chad:

"...Because ARIA has been getting so many new features David (at Plogue, developer of ARIA) added some code to check versions if a project, instrument, or ensemble was saved with a newer version of ARIA. This is a fail safe to make sure that projects, instruments, and ensembles sound as they were intended. It's always backwards compatible as newer versions of ARIA can load older projects, but older versions of ARIA will get this warning when trying to open new files/settings..."

So, here's hoping that the new ARIA comes out soon. Then this hands-on tutorial will function for people.

For now, I'll leave things up, but needed to warn people that only the generic MIDI file version is going to work - for now at least.
    ---------------------------------------------
    So this won't be buried in the thread that asked for a demo project file to study, I'm posting this on it's own. C&P of my post on the other thread:
    ---------------------------------------------
    Here they are - the project files I'm sharing for my Instant Orchestra demo #5. Click the text below. You'll be taken to a Box folder that has a Cakewalk Bundle file, and a MIDI file. Download the version of the project appropriate to your set up:

IO demo shared project files

Bundle files contain everything in a project - MIDI, Audio, plugins. When you click to open a Bundle, it will ask you where you want to unpack everything. After directing Sonar to a logical folder, you want to then save it as a regular .cwp file. If you keep opening the Bundle, it will go through the whole process of unpacking again, and that's not necessary.

The only things used in the file are from Cakewalk/Sonar. If you happen to not have a particular plugin, a pop-up will alert you. Just ask to continue loading the file anyway. You'll be able to determine which kind of plugin didn't load, and make an appropriate substitute.

Notes specific to the MIDI file version are below, following the notes about the contents of the project.
    ------------------------------

This short project began with a minimum of tracks. Once I had the fundamental lines in place, melody, harmony, rhythm, then it was mostly a matter of doubling those various lines up with IO instruments.

Some people keep their projects tidier and more logically laid out. I let things grow as needed, and don't get concerned about having the results rather sprawled out. I use the Track Manager a lot in Sonar, which controls which tracks are visible. That creates visual order for me when needed.

CC 11, Expression, was used for volume control because of my particular set up. CC11 controls Garritan volume in exactly the same way as the more commonly used CC1.

First 30 tracks - MIDI
    Next 35 audio tracks - associated with ARIA instances - starting with the track labeled AUDIO ONE
    Last 31 - final bounced tracks - first track labeled MIX ONE

The tracks start 25 seconds into the file because originally I had some ideas sketched in ahead of where I started working on the final project. I would have moved everything to the start for this shared version of the project, but there's an unfortunate thing in Sonar where automation on buses won't move with track data. I had to leave things where they are so the bus automation would still be in sync.

ARIAS - Usually I left Sends off, and the instruments at center. Only rough balancing was done with the mixer (the ARIA sliders controlled by the MIDI strips in Sonar.) Instance 4 I have Ambience on, level full, sends to 1/2. I just wanted to make sure that "Soft to Loud" patch was nice and wet.

Instance 5 is disconnected. It was used in other demos, I left it in even though it's not doing anything.

Instance 6 has 8 copies of Orch percussion 1, using only the snares. The same MIDI file plays all 8 snares. They're all detuned and progressively delayed (look at ARIA's Controls window) as well as panned across the stereo field. I wanted the panning to be recorded in the single audio file from this instance of ARIA.

The last ARIA instance is the non-multi out version. I wanted to add two more instruments that I could easily find again, so loaded the smaller ARIA to conserve on power instead of the multi-out ARIA with its 16 audio outs.

There are empty slots throughout these ARIAs - some of those were instruments with different names now, but I left these slots empty because they weren't used in the project.

You'll see a number of instruments which aren't actually used. I didn't want to accidentally delete a used instrument, so left things as they are.

The bounced audio tracks are muted when you open the project. Once the ARIAs are loaded, you can play the raw (unbalanced project). The accumulation of sound will be too hot, but that wasn't my concern when working only in the MIDI realm.

Solo the bounced tracks to have a look at the mix. You can see there are buses for different instrumental groups, and one for a Cakewalk reverb unit.

Automation was kept to a bare minimum in this project. You'll see on a few tracks where I did small adjustments to the volume in spots. The Big Brass track has the most automation, being the central sound in the project, I wanted to dramatize its dynamic range. The automation for that track was recorded in real time.

Notice the delay unit on track 90, Earth drums 2. It just gave more hits, more motion to the track.

EQ was used on only one track- I needed to tame the bass frequencies in the Earth drums.

This project has a fair number of tracks, but otherwise, the production was kept simple, to show IO off as purely as possible.
    -------------------------------------------------
    The MIDI file will call for a lot of reconstruction, since the instances of ARIA couldn't be saved with it. All of the tracks are labeled with which IO patch was used, so that's the guide.

What were originally audio tracks are now blank MIDI tracks, since audio can't be saved in a MIDI file. To show you where the associated Audio tracks are meant to start, I've labeled the first one AUDIO ONE. Then farther down, where the bounced tracks started, I've labeled the first one MIX ONE.

The CC controller data is still intact, as are the tempo changes.

It may be almost impossible to accurately re-create the project from this MIDI file version, but one could at least load some of the instruments, and take note of how they were used.

Of course let me know if you encounter any technical difficulties setting these files up. Hope you have fun taking a look!

Randy

Re: Sonar and MIDI files for the "Sci-Fi" Instant Orchestra demo

Thanks for posting Randy. And DANG that is a big file .

Jim

I got the bundle and got a message about "need Aria 1.16 but you have 1.128". So, none of the instruments load for me. Do you have an advanced version of Aria.

Quote Originally Posted by jdsnyderii View Post
    I got the bundle and got a message about "need Aria 1.16 but you have 1.128". So, none of the instruments load for me. Do you have an advanced version of Aria.
    OOoh no. Dangit! Yes, I'm on ARIA 1.6 which is currently being tested, it's still in Beta, close to being released. But I didn't think that would make a difference in loading IO.

--crap. I reeeeeally don't want all that work to be a bust. As I type this I'm uploading the .cwp (Cakewalk Project file) and the separate Audio folder into that same Box master folder. But I'm afraid that won't make a difference.

I'll ask one of the developers if there's some way to make it work.

Sorry!

crap -- and side note, yes Cakewalk Bundle files are huge. All that for just a one minute piece! Imagine their size for a piece of more average length!

Randy

I am SO SORRY the IO files don't work. I of course had no idea there would be a compatibility issue. I got word from Chad, one of the developers, about what happened:

"...Because ARIA has been getting so many new features David (at Plogue, developer of ARIA) added some code to check versions if a project, instrument, or ensemble was saved with a newer version of ARIA. This is a fail safe to make sure that projects, instruments, and ensembles sound as they were intended. It's always backwards compatible as newer versions of ARIA can load older projects, but older versions of ARIA will get this warning when trying to open new files/settings..."

So there it is. It's too bad - My original demo projects were made with ARIA 1.128. But because I needed to open this Sonar project up again to tidy it up for sharing, it became an ARIA 1.16 project automatically. Dang.

Here's hoping that the new ARIA comes out soon. Then this hands-on tutorial will function for people.

Randy

People keep downloading the Sonar files - I get auto email from Box.

Folks, I made a mistake - these files won't work with the currently available ARIA.
    I didn't realize that would happen. These files Will work once ARIA 1.16 is released, and that should be fairly soon.

The MIDI file of course will work, but it would be difficult to re-construct the project from that.

SORRY!--

Randy

I'm not worried, myself -- I know they'll be worth it. I am curious, however, if (and I say "if" because I know about non-disclosure agreements) -- I SAY, if you can, can you give us a hint about one or three of those new ARIA features...?
    Best,
    Tom Smith
    www.tomsmithonline.com

Quote Originally Posted by filkertom View Post
    I'm not worried, myself -- I know they'll be worth it. I am curious, however, if (and I say "if" because I know about non-disclosure agreements) -- I SAY, if you can, can you give us a hint about one or three of those new ARIA features...?
    Thanks for having patience with me on this, Tom.

And you're right, as a member of the Beta team, I am bound by a non-disclosure agreement. We'll need to await official announcements about the up-coming, turbo charged new ARIA.

Randy

We'll need to await official announcements about the up-coming, turbo charged new ARIA.

WOOOO-HOOOOOO!!!!!!

Go Back to forum