• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GigaBrass

Share/Bookmark

GigaBrass

Hello everyone.
    I\'ve been working for the past year on a project I\'ve been calling GigaBrass. It\'s not trademarked or anything and that title is definitely just my working title, but the point is that I\'ve been working very hard for a very long time to achieve a new level of realism for orchestral brass. I\'ve got 10 instruments (3 Trumpets, 2 Fr. Horns, 2 Trombones, 1 Bass Trombone, 1 Euphonium, and a Tuba) sampled and working in a very informal manner, but I\'ve still got a lot of tweaking to do if I were to make them available commercially. I would like to post a small demo of what I\'ve got so far so that I can get some critiques and input from you guys. Is there a place where I can post a short .MP3 demo?
    Thanks,
    Jamey Scott

Re: GigaBrass

Hey Jamey.

I was wondering where you stood with this project. Glad its still in to works!

This site has a place for such things at http://www.northernsounds.com/sounds.html.

I doubt if anyone will get turned around for download ‘till after NAMM..

Hope you’re well,
    Bill

Thanks for the tip, Bill.

Okay, I\'ve uploaded the demo to the Northern Sounds site. Hopefully it will be available for download soon. This demo is just a quick little thing that I did for a project bid. It does not even BEGIN to demonstrate the thoroughness of this library. It is simply some background chords in the p/mp range of the instruments with the melody instruments peaking into the mf range. The actual library contains 4 dynamic levels of p, mp, mf, and f (plus a FF for one of the trumpets) for each instrument. I\'ve also sampled Stac, Cres, Sfz, Grace notes, Double-tonguing (ta & ka short plus a longer ta for doing fast triplet/16th note lines without sounding like a machine gun) and muted versions of all of the instruments. This library contains only traditional orchestral usage of these instruments and does not attempt any jazz/pop tones or inflections.

I will be posting more demos of this library as I create them. I\'ve still got a lot of work to do on this and it may take me another year to finish it but when I do, it will be a good, useful library.

I\'d really appreciate some feedback on the sound quality of these things so that I know if I\'m on the right track or not. What I think sounds good could be completely different than what you guys may think. I\'m not interested in input as to what more types of articulations you think would be good, as the sampling part of this project is over (it cost a bloody fortune!).

Anyway, constructive criticism regarding sound quality and editing is enthusiastically awaited! If you\'re one of those types that just likes to criticize to hear yourself be nasty or cut others down, please do not bother as it will hinder the progress of this project that others may really desire.

Thanks,
    Jamey Scott www.DramaticMusic.com

Hi, I have tried repeatedly to access the demo site and cannot, please advise because I would like to hear it.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>So...am I to assume since there hasn\'t been a single reply to my post that my samples sound like crap and that I shouldn\'t bother working on the library anymore?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don\'t think that you are being fair!

What is the URL? I\'ve looked around, but haven\'t been able to find any demos of your sounds. Providing folks with a pointer, that they can click on (use the UBB codes) MIGHT result in some increased feedback.

Also, people are very busy. You might want to be more patient, and give them time to provide feedback! For example, today is the first time that I have read the thread.

Lawrence

[This message has been edited by Lougheed (edited 02-09-2000).]

So...am I to assume since there hasn\'t been a single reply to my post that my samples sound like crap and that I shouldn\'t bother working on the library anymore? Come on, people. I know for a fact it sounds better than Miroslav and AO...or am I just flattering myself??

Try: http://northernsounds.com/demos/

great realistic sounding \"brass sounds\", good work.
    Ewen

[This message has been edited by Ewen (edited 02-10-2000).]

Thanks for the pointer. I\'ll check out the demos.

Lawrence

Jamey,

I applaud your work. But, having played recording sessions as a trombonist for over 20 years, most of your samples still sound \"unrealistic\". I don\'t mean they are bad. The French Horn sounds as if it was sampled from behing and maybe with the mike to close. Is that possible? Most of the time in the studio, they were sampled from the side to avoid the percussive attacks and to get a more rounded sound.

I look forward to hearing your finished product. I have AO and would love to have better brass - particularly trumpets and trombones. And the Baritone Horn would be great for my concert band pieces.

Terry

Terry,
    Thank you very much for your input. That\'s exactly the kind of feedback I am looking for. Unfortunately, the room that I was using to record these instruments is a pretty small iso booth. It\'s a very dead room with sonex all over the walls. I mic\'ed the F. horns from behind the bell about 5 feet back with the mic tilted at a 45 degree angle away from the bell (it was a C-414). Ironically enough I was going for a clearer sound but I\'m regretting that now, as I should have been looking for more of a rounder tone rather than a present one. Can you recommend any way that I can tweek these samples in order to get a more realistic sound, short of resampling? I\'ve heard that the Antares mic simulator has a really good algorthim for faking proximity. Do you have any experience or knowledge of this plugin?
    Thanks again,
    Jamey

Go Back to forum