• Register
  • Help

Topic: Biebl - Ave Maria

Share/Bookmark

Biebl - Ave Maria

Here is a new Ave Maria by Franz Biebl that has become popular as of late. I have made this arrangement for our Brass Sextet.

Ave Maria

Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: Biebl - Ave Maria

I have always loved this composition since I played it in college back in the day.
    ~Rodney

I'm curious why you added the drone tonic during the Gregorian phrases? That sort of contradicts the whole point of the composer having placed them there.

It's a lovely piece, rather on the traditional side with a few nice spots of surprising harmony. However, did you get permission to make this arrangement? it is still covered by copyright.

The arrangement (other than my comment regarding the opening) is nice. It works well for brass (of course, almost anything for chorus works well for brass).

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    I'm curious why you added the drone tonic during the Gregorian phrases? That sort of contradicts the whole point of the composer having placed them there.

It's a lovely piece, rather on the traditional side with a few nice spots of surprising harmony. However, did you get permission to make this arrangement? it is still covered by copyright.

The arrangement (other than my comment regarding the opening) is nice. It works well for brass (of course, almost anything for chorus works well for brass).
    I just wanted to give my bass trombone something to do. No I haven't gotten permission yet, but since it won't be presented in a paying performance situation for awhile, I have time.

Thanks for the comments.

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by composingatnight View Post
    I have always loved this composition since I played it in college back in the day.
    ~Rodney
    And, I am embarrassed to say, I never heard of it until the 2nd french horn player in our group mentioned it.

Thanks for the comment.

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Concerning performance, everything I would say can be summed up by watching this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVyCJlPiHFg
    ~Rodney

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer View Post
    And, I am embarrassed to say, I never heard of it until the 2nd french horn player in our group mentioned it.

Thanks for the comment.

Bill
    But isn't it wonderful when we discover those little works of art that were missing in our lives?
    ~Rodney

I have changed it and removed the monotone bass to reflect the style of chant the composer dictated.

However, did you get permission to make this arrangement? it is still covered by copyright.
    I have contacted the publisher and am still awaiting there response. Since a performance is not imminent, I will wait and see if permission is granted. Since I am not selling it at this time, nor a we performing it in a paying gig, I don't see the harm in rehearsing it as an exercise.

Again, thanks for the comments.

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer View Post
    I have changed it and removed the monotone bass to reflect the style of chant the composer dictated.

I have contacted the publisher and am still awaiting there response. Since a performance is not imminent, I will wait and see if permission is granted. Since I am not selling it at this time, nor a we performing it in a paying gig, I don't see the harm in rehearsing it as an exercise.

Again, thanks for the comments.

Bill
    please don't think my comment regarding the tonic drone was a criticism, I was asking because to my mind it significantly changed the character of the music at that point. I think it is important that when we make decisions that alter another composer's work, it be done with care and forethought. in this case, since it is a transcription - as opposed to an arrangement - I believe the idea is to render the intent of the original author as exactly as possible within the medium of the new instrumentation.

if the publisher is anything like the one I dealt with when I made a transcription of a Samuel Barber piece, you may still have to pay a small amount for your permission, and they may limit the number of performances. In my case, it was $100 US, in front of non-paying audience, one single performance, for a 3-minute long work for piano quartet. They also required a hard-copy of the transcription, and reserved the right to publish it if they should so choose.

I'd love to know, did you have difficulty removing the 7th voice of the original to make it fit a sextet? What I saw of the original score made it look pretty dense.

I'd love to know, did you have difficulty removing the 7th voice of the original to make it fit a sextet? What I saw of the original score made it look pretty dense.
    In regards to the drone. I put it in the first time, forgot about it, and when I listened to it, hated it. I agree with your assessment.

I am awaiting the publisher who is: Hinshaw Music

I am a member of ASCAP and understand the copyright laws and the rights of the creator of a piece of music. I am hoping that Hinshaw allows the arrangement for it makes a wonderful brass work. Maybe there is a brass arrangement of it, but I have not located it. I do know from my friend that her daughter played a horn sextet transcription of the work.

The 7th voice was covered by moving it back and forth between the 6th voice. Clumsy, but aurally it seems to work.

Thanks again for the comments.

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum