• Register
  • Help

Topic: How do you get the "ring" out of the Gigapiano?

Share/Bookmark

How do you get the \"ring\" out of the Gigapiano?

I can get the ring out of my collar, but not out of the Gigapiano (from about e4 to a4)? Any takers?

Re: How do you get the \"ring\" out of the Gigapiano?

I just auditioned gigapiano again to see what you\'re talking about. If I make my guess, you\'re playing the full GP and the ring is the metallic resonance in the release triggered samples. The \'light\' version of this piano doesn\'t include the release triggered ringing and sounds much nicer to my ear.

Also just to be clear, I\'m assuming you\'re numbering with C3 as middle C, this is a common numbering but it\'s not completely standardized at all...

If that\'s not it, there\'s a bunch of things you might be able to do with filtering, resampling, looping, munging the samples in another editor, or transposing other samples into the range of the notes you don\'t like, but I bet you don\'t need any of that.

Hey John, did you get that filtered Dark Boesendorfer patch to work and did it change your mind on that sample? I think it kicks butt now, it\'s all I\'ve been playing for a week even though I\'ve got some projects I\'m supposed to be doing. I\'m going to tighten up the amplitude envelope (env1) releases on that to give it better \'damping\' and do a minor touch up on a couple of notes that are a bit too hot, but it\'s good enough that I think only a few pianists would know it wasn\'t a normal well-recorded piano. I\'m gonna test that theory...

best wishes
    -s

Sam: I sure did get it working for the BOS. It\'s great.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sam:
    I just auditioned gigapiano again to see what you\'re talking about. If I make my guess, you\'re playing the full GP and the ring is the metallic resonance in the release triggered samples. The \'light\' version of this piano doesn\'t include the release triggered ringing and sounds much nicer to my ear.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It\'s not the release samples. Open the GigaPiano in the editor, \"load\" the instrument so you can play it, and run a scale from Middle C up one octave. Notice that the pitches from G to C will have a very distinctive ring...almost as if the same overtone is ringing exactly the same way from note to note. Hmmmm....

Now, look at the sample mapping--closely. Click on each key, and look at the range each sample is covering. You\'ll make a discovery. Only two sets of samples cover that entire octave.

Fact is, the GigaPiano only uses 31 sample sets to cover 88 notes, and that is probably more responsible than any other factor for the phenomenon being discussed.

I\'m not attempting to take the GigaPiano apart, just to \"clear\" the release samples from blame for a situation that they don\'t cause. I think they are valuable.

Best regards,

Bruce

PS...I just covered pianos along with lots of orchestral samples in a ProRec review. http://www.prorec.com if anyone is interested.

Go Back to forum