• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Make a great piano better!

Share/Bookmark

Make a great piano better!

Here\'s one for the Boesendorfer guys:

Load the Boesendorfer in the instrument editor. Copy the Boesie 275 instrument and paste it to make another instrument, put that one on channel 1 and call it \'Darkendorfer\'. Save the gig, that\'ll take a couple of minutes.

Lock down all the dimensions and select the whole key range (all keys yellow). Go to case properties, select filter tab. Give it a lowpass filter, midi control mod wheel, velocity curve linear, and highest velocity sensitivity. Set the min cutoff to 40. Apply the filter. Now select the filter min cutoff from the shortcut menus, and use the linear tool. Drag the min cutoff on the highest note up to about 57, so the min cutoff is a line from 40 on the lowest note to 57 on the highest. Save the gig, and fire up GS! (and select the darkendorder...)

With the mod wheel all the way up, Darkendorfer is fully bright, the same as the old 275 patch. With the wheel down, it\'s wonderfully dark and soft on soft strikes, but brightens and comes alive with harder strikes. The filter really takes the edge off the rich bright sample and gives a much broader range of expression.

Amazingly nice, IMO, try your favorite dark piece and tell me what you think!

Re: Make a great piano better!

Hey, great, I\'ll try it. If I have any probs I\'ll post a question here.

NOW THIS!!!! Is what a BBS like this should be about!!!

OK. There have been two posts regarding editing the Bosendorfer and Yamaha pianos. I\'ve tried to follow the instructions, but get stuck right away. I started reading the manual on the Editor and running the tutorial videos, but it gets rather overwhelming! All I really want to do - at this point - is apply the edits to the pianos, as suggested! If any kind soul could \"fill in the blanks\", so to speak, I would be grateful.

I have the Steinway, Bosendorfer and Yamaha pianos, and would like to settle on what I\'m going to use for my next project.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Here\'s one for the Boesendorfer guys:
    Load the Boesendorfer in the instrument editor.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, actually there is no LOAD command. I have assumed that this means run the editor, and OPEN the Bosendorfer. If not, I\'m in trouble already!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR> Copy the Boesie 275 instrument and paste it to make another instrument, put that one on channel 1 and call it \'Darkendorfer\'.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So, I THINK this means, right click on the \"0 Bosendorfer 275\" (which is listed under \"Instrument Bank 0\" and select COPY.

Cool, but where do I paste it? How do I put it on channel 1?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Save the gig, that\'ll take a couple of minutes.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do I save it with the same file name, or a new file name?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Lock down all the dimensions and select the whole key range (all keys yellow).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do you \"lock down all the dimensions\"?
    How do I select the whole key range?

If anyone could help me with the above steps, I should be able to manage the rest!

Thanks!
    Lawrence
    lougheed2@home.com

[This message has been edited by Lougheed (edited 03-17-2000).]

By fumbling around, I THINK I\'ve figured out most of this, but how do you \"lock down all the dimensions\"? That one has me totally stumped. I followed all steps (from the original post giving all the directions) except for locking the dimensions, but when

I load in my edited file, the MOD WHEEL doesn\'t change the sound, so apparently the \"lock down all the dimensions\" is not a step that can be skipped! (Or I haven\'t really figured things out.) I\'ve searched them manual, and help files, and videos, but can\'t find anything pertinant.

I can TASTE the edits - just can\'t hear them!

Lawrence

[This message has been edited by Lougheed (edited 03-17-2000).]

There\'s a button at the bottom of the editor, I think it has 3 states, one with a red square, one with a red row, and one with all the boxes red.

When you make an edit, the edit is performed on all the selected cases, where the displayed case is red and the additional selected cases are in orange. When you \'lock down all the cases\' by selecting the button at the bottom so it\'s all red, your edits will be applied across all dimensions (ie to all cases). Otherwise it\'s very easy just to edit one case or one dimension of cases. Your edit would then be applied, but maybe to only 1 case out of up to 32, you generally won\'t hear it.

I will guess that these terms might not be easy to understand but they are so fundamental to how GS works and I don\'t know a better way to explain, good luck!

-sam

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>There\'s a button at the bottom of the editor, I think it has 3 states, one with a red square, one with a red row, and one with all the boxes red.

When you make an edit, the edit is performed on all the selected cases, where the displayed case is red and the additional selected cases are in orange. When you \'lock down all the cases\' by selecting the button at the bottom so it\'s all red, your edits will be applied across all dimensions (ie to all cases). Otherwise it\'s very easy just to edit one case or one dimension of cases. Your edit would then be applied, but maybe to only 1 case out of up to 32, you generally won\'t hear it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, Sam. When I changed to \"all boxes red\" my edits seemed to work. The usual, it\'s easy once you\'ve done it, would seem to apply!

The other thing that I did (that was not included in the instructions) was to check off ENTIRE REGION when making the edits in CASE PROPERTIES.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>I will guess that these terms might not be easy to understand but they are so fundamental to how GS works and I don\'t know a better way to explain, good luck!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I probably posted too soon, but initial reading of the manual and watching the vidoes presented too much information. Last night I did some more reading, and answered a lot of my own questions!

BTW, the Bosendorfer edits do make the instrument sound better. I\'ll have to experiment with an appropriate MOD WHEEL setting. The next step will be to do make the recommended edits to the Yamaha piano.

Thanks for your help.

Lawrence

I have applied the Bosendorfer edit to the Steinway, and WOW, with the mod wheel at the 1/2 position, the piano suddenly becomes VERY useful. What an amazing difference!

Lawrence

Ya, it rectifies the metallic or \"twangy\" sound of the Steinway that becomes particularly apparant when you listen to it through monitor class loudspeakers. (You won\'t notice it on most earphones or mid-priced speakers.

BTW, if Sam\'s still tuned in, is there anything sacrosanct about the lowpass filter settings that you suggest? What would be the effect of broadening the span to say 30 to 60? And does moving the mod wheel all the way up GUARANTEE that you\'re using the default instrument parameters? Also, having made adjustments, is there anyway to revert back to default settings (without having to reload the whole d.... instrument)? Finally, how do you tune individual notes?

A mouthful, I admit.

John

John,

Interesting that you bring this up, because I have wondered about the same things. I wonder what other adjustments can me made, to further improve the piano. Since I don\'t know much about programming, I guess it\'s time to start experimenting.

Lawrence

[This message has been edited by Lougheed (edited 03-18-2000).]

Go Back to forum