• Register
  • Help

Topic: Percussion Library info

Re: Percussion Library info

Sounds great.....what is a couple of months if the end product is a quality product. Question: There are a couple of schools of Timpani playing in the US (Sol Goodman etc.) that differ based upon the way the player strikes the heads with his/her mallet. Could you give us a feel of what \"school\" of playing these samples will be based on?

Percussion Library info

Ok here\'s the scoop on the percussion library both parties (Me and Sean and Nemesys) have agreed that it would be in best nature of the library to go ahead and include timpani which we had planned for a later volume. This will NOT take that much longer and the final release will only be pushed back by a month or two at the most. I can tell you though that the timpani will be pretty incredible. Here is what we will be doing with them and if you have ANYTHING else you would like to see just let us know and we will get it on there.....

Set of 4 Hinger touch tone timpani with Remo Renaissance heads

six different mallet types from ultra soft cartwheels to wood all at 4 velociites with legato (sus.) and staccato hits

Rolls with all the mallets at 4 velocities

Cres. and Decres at 3 speeds

bowl hits

effects such as putting a cym on the head and rolling while moving the pedal up and down ---great spooky effect

and random glisses

Let us know if there is anything else you want!!

Great question! The style that is going to be used for theses samples is the \"Hinger\" style developed (of course) by Fred Hinger. Mr. Hinger was the timpanist with the Philadelphia Symphony and the Met in New York. The difference in the Hinger tech. and say a Goodman or French grip is the motion of the stroke itself. Whereas the Goodman and French tech. is basically built around the use of the fingers for motion the Hinger grip primarily relys on the wrists. For example, with rolls the French grip relys on the player to pull with the backs of the fingers producing to many not a very smooth sounding roll. Let me say right off however everyone has their own opinion about this. Just because I think a certain way does not mean that it is the only way but from my experiences (and the fact I used to play French grip) the Hinger is much better. When rolling with the Hinger grip the wirsts turn, the motion is like opening a door, this is good for several reasons. One is that the turning of the wrist is less abrasive to contact to the head producing a smoother sound. Secondly, the turning motion produces a \"rounder\" sound with more of the fundamental tone.
    Now for staccato notes the grip changes somewhat. In p to mp passages it looks more like a German grip. To acheive a really good round p mp sound with the Hinger grip one would use lots of finger pressure on the back of the mallets making the inital contact more staccato. You will really notice this in the difference between the legato and staccato samples when you hear them. The difference will NOT just be in note lengths but in character of the contact! This is what, we believe, is going to make these untouchable to any other.
    By the way we are using Dr. Frank Shaffer who is the timpanist with the Memphis Symphony and studied with Fred Hinger at Yale while working on his doctorate in the late 70\'s!

ps. if you would like for me to go further into this I would be glad to

Winsted, CT

>> if you would like for me to go further into this I would be glad to

No! No! You need to get back to work on the samples!

(heh, heh)

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited 01-21-2000).]

please could you include a real multisampled MarkTree, that is sampled in the proper seeting and with the proper ambience.
    This is a really imortante pecussion instrument that has almost only been incoperated by various drumkit libraries. With minimum of ambience.

A Multisampled MarkTree and Chinese BellTree.

actually both have already been done. We did the mark tree with fast up, fast down, slow up, slow down, and continuous. They, as well as the whole library, were done with a different mic tech. (ie. not right up on the mic). Close micing percussion, at least in our opinion, does not lend itself to blending with an orchestral setting. The goal of these samples is that you will have to very little if nothing at all to make them blend because we\'ve already placed them back in the stero field.

I forgot to mention that I am adding to the existing mp3 file to demonstrate some of the instruments that we had not finished with when we did the first one. I\'ll make sure to put several of the mark tree samples on there!

That\'s awsome, can\'t wait to hear the demo.

Allso it sound\'s to me like you havn\'t omitted any imortante instruments and playing techniqes.

Pleas keep us all uppdated on the progress of the librarie.

Happy sampling, Mike!!!

Go Back to forum