• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Can This be Done? Audio to Score?

Share/Bookmark

Can This be Done? Audio to Score?

I pray that this can be done since it would save me hours of work. A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, LOL, I composed a work called "Song for the Hopeless" for piano and strings. I simply recorded two tracts, one for strings and one for piano, on my Kuzweil digital piano. Everything I write though needs to have a score so it can be performed. Is there a way to put the audio in some magical machine and out comes the notes? Just wondering if anyone knows of a way to do this or is it time for me to ask myself, "What did I play again?" Here's the music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyUAmH32hW0
    ~Rodney

Re: Can This be Done? Audio to Score?

simple answer: no.

there are programs that can transform simple audio into notation, in the most rudimentary way.

but you will not get a copy that is ready for performance.

you will have to figure out the notes you wrote and re-write them yourself.

besides, a "single track" for strings is not writing for a string orchestra. it has to be divided appropriately into its five component parts.

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    simple answer: no.

there are programs that can transform simple audio into notation, in the most rudimentary way.

but you will not get a copy that is ready for performance.

you will have to figure out the notes you wrote and re-write them yourself.

besides, a "single track" for strings is not writing for a string orchestra. it has to be divided appropriately into its five component parts.
    What I am talking about is just simple audio into notation. I am just looking for the notes, not the orchestration. I am not looking for a program that is going to write out all the string parts. Trust me, I know how to write for strings for goodness sake. Members of the Richmond Symphony Orchestra and Richmond Symphony Chorus performed one of my works just two Saturdays ago.
    ~Rodney

Start here:

http://www.music-notation.info/en/co...udio2midi.html

then convert it to notation, then.... then.... then..... I simply don't know. Maybe you will start "composingatdaylight"....

Raymond

like I said, simple answer: no.

if you know how to write for strings, then you should have no trouble transcribing what you originally composed. it doesn't sound like anything terribly complex musically.

I have done a bit of this using Band in a Box. It does a nice job of finding the key center and will generate the chords used fairly well. It will not change the sounds into notes. I used it to remember the chord structure then I used my ears to transcribe the actual notes to paper.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Interesting - When I've needed to MIDIfy something from the past, I've always just re-constructed it by ear. Something that makes that much easier is to important the audio file into your recording software program, then on parallel MIDI tracks, figure it out measure by measure.

But, Raymond, thanks for the link to this "WIDI" site. I've downloaded the VST version for Windows to give it a whirl. I like what the makers say:

"...You are expected to try WIDISOFT product on your system and to thoroughly evaluate usefulness and functionality of the product before making a purchase. This "try before you buy" approach is the ultimate guarantee that WIDISOFT product will perform to your satisfaction; therefore, you understand and agree that there is no refund policy for any purchase of this software..."

If it's great, could be worth the $60 for sure. I'm pretty skeptical though - Gotta try it out!

Randy

Melodyne 2.0 with DNA will analyze audio and generate a MIDI file map from it.

It generally works best with stacked ensemble chord voicing as harmony though.

A brief report on "WIDI." I tested it out -only spent maybe 1/2 hour with it. Got it set up to work in Sonar. But after running 6 short tests, all I got was a scrambled mess. I recognized 3 notes that were right out of maybe a total of 30 seconds of audio.

I'm sure I could dig deeper, but so far I'm not terribly inspired to try more.

For those on Sonar wanting to test the free trial VST version of WIDI:

--Download to your VST folder.
    --Scan the folder.
    --Configure the VST as an instrument.
    --Insert it in the FX bin of an audio track.
    --Import the audio.
    --Before playing audio, on WIDI's main page, click the red control on the left towards the bottom to record a MIDI file.
    --Play the audio.
    --Click the next button in WIDI to stop.
    --Click the final button on the right to save to file.
    --Import the MIDI file to test it.

And - like I'm saying. With several different settings, and several different rather clean audio clips, I pretty much got just random notes. Even if I got it to work better, there would still be the issue of doing a tempo map first with the audio file, so that measures begin where they actually do.

So -

Randy

AS qcowboy has answered, and Randy has found out, at the moment there is nothing that can take a multi-instrument audio file and accurately convert back to MIDI.

In crude terms it's like trying to turn a beefburger back into the original cow.

There are one or two programs that will convert a monophonic voice into a single MIDI track, or with Melodyne, turn a single instrument's chords into MIDI notes.

That's about the state of the art, currently.

The one that makes the "best go" of it at the moment IMHO is Intelliscore, and they seem to be heading in the right direction. try http://www.intelliscore.net/ . I tried this one several years ago and it may have improved by now. They certainly make some bold claims.
    And there's a trial version. The Ensemble version is probably what's needed.

SysExJohn.

Go Back to forum