• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: GigaPiano, oy vey...

Share/Bookmark

GigaPiano, oy vey...

Rec’d and installed the GigaSampler & Gigapiano today, along with Waveterminal 2496. It runs flawlessly, not a hitch.
    But golly how I wish someone had told me what an absolute piece of CRAP the gigapiano really is. It’s a joke, it’s not even good joke. It sounds absolutely nothing \'like\' a piano. It’s a sample. It’s a huge, crappy-sounding sample. It’s Giga-Crap. Honestly, the piano on my old Turtle Beach Monterey sounds a hundred times better than this expensive piece of garbage. Tell your loved ones to save their money.

You know, I once had a crummy old Packard upright with a crummy old plastic microphone hanging down in it going to a crummy old Tascam Portastudio, and I thought I was slumming, but at least it sounded like a piano. This sounds like a piece of plastic.

Ho hum. Like the chump I am, I’ll probably try the Trachtman Steinway and the Truan pianos. If anyone can save me the trouble with a lucid post…

Re: GigaPiano, oy vey...

Well if it were the best thing ever probably many of us wouldn\'t have sought out other pianos, and if it had been my sample job I would have come back with better mics and placement and also got another level of dynamics before ff. I do have some 8 & 16 meg samples (great recordings with good programming) that are more generally pleasing to play.

That said, there are some things you can do to get the most from the gigapiano. I much prefer the \'light\' piano without the murky release triggering stuff. Add a little bit of a quality reverb, but don\'t send left and right channels to the reverb, pick one so it doesn\'t phase cancel. Try a little EQ, if you\'ve got a good parametric. Then it works ok on the right piece, particularly if you don\'t overplay it. FWIW, I\'m pretty certain I heard the gigapiano 2 weeks ago in one song on Ally McBeal (in some solo parts I was sure I recognized some note colors and velocity switches from the Yamaha, as you noted it\'s rather distinctive but it wasn\'t bad at all)

Look on this site for my review of the Boesendorfer, I\'ve been enjoying that one a lot and have no regrets, also there are some sound demos on s_ounds_on_line\'s web site and on Trachtman\'s pages (those were hard to find) and look up John Grant on mp3.com.

cheers,
    -sam

>> I\'m pretty certain I heard the gigapiano
    >> 2 weeks ago in one song on Ally McBeal

Well... Danny Lux scores it. It probably was.

To answer the question about the gigapiano in a song on Ally McBeal... Nope...real pianos on the songs in the show. On the score however.... I have been using the Trachtman Steinway C samples for a couple of months. Personally I like this sample set alot, but everyone has there own tastes. I am always interested in hearing opinions on new piano samples.
    Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>That said, there are some things you can do to get the most from the gigapiano. I much prefer the \'light\' piano without the murky release triggering stuff.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. The \"ring\" makes these pianos useless for my type of playing, which is slow and sustained. However, John Grant\'s stuff (classical, polyphonic etc) seems to work quite well. I have tried both version of the GigaPiano, and found that the Light version was superior, for the above reason.

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;
    Ho hum. Like the chump I am, I’ll probably try the Trachtman Steinway and the Truan pianos. If anyone can save me the trouble with a lucid post…
    &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;

The Trachtman Steinway C is wonderful! Well worth the $80. Cleanly mic\'ed, good stereo spread, good low end growl but without as much \"oomph\" as the Giga Steinway B (hey, it\'s only a 7\'5\" grand!). I prefer it over the Steinway B for most piano parts since the B is rather murky sounding.

Talking about favorites, my vote Goes for the Bosendorfer (East West). Also the Fazioli F228 Piano from The Ultimate Piano Collection wich is a 130 mb piano but sounds wonderful. I agree that Gigapiano is kind of a frustration, too bad.
    I hope try the Trech pianos soon.

Ops...I mean Trachtman Pianos, not Trech, sorry...

I am one of Gigapiano\'s biggest detractors; having said that, the soft layer, by itself, is useful as a ppp. I still like Steinway B best of all, especially above middle c. Below middle c there are problems. The low end is quite good, but then so is the low end on almost every sample out there.

Forgot: a question for Sam... what\'s the advantage of verbing on right or left channel only??? (And can it be done with Wavelab plus a plugin like timeworks or hyperism?)

John Grant

[This message has been edited by john grant (edited 01-20-2000).]

I just listend to John Grant\'s mp3s. Did you realy recorded all that using a sampled piano!?!? If yes, what controller do you use? Thanks. Sasha

Go Back to forum