• Register
  • Help

Topic: creating an audio file from GigaStudio3

Share/Bookmark

creating an audio file from GigaStudio3

Hi folks, I'm posting on behalf of a friend who has GigaStudio 3 but has lost his current internet connection; also I'm new to GigaStudio having only glanced at my friend's machinations and trying to read the manual (so please forgive my naive-ness). Anyway he has a problem, and maybe you folks can help.

The situation: he is running GigaStudio 3 on a Windows machine also running Sibelius 4 and making use of the Vienna Symphonic Library; thus he is creating performances from the MIDI of Sibelius tying in with (ReWire?) GigaStudio hosting the VSL samples. This works fine, but...

The problem: he wants to record these performances as an audio file (WAV or AIF) so he can edit and burn these files to CD to create his showreels, but cannot work out how to do this in the GigaStudio manual; when I looked through the manual it seemed as though the option of 'Bounce to Disk' might be it; I couldn't find what I expected (I'm a Reason user): an export (to audio) option. So,

The question: can GigaStudio produce an audio file from performances using GigaStudio as the sample player? Is 'Bounce to Disk' the right (or only) way? If so, how is it done? The manual appears opaque to my eyes...

I'm sorry if the questions are so newbie and thanks in advance of any help

regards

michael pennamacoor

Re: creating an audio file from GigaStudio3

i used to use gigastudio 3 - see my other post - i sort of remember having this problem
    before a while back w/ gigastudio and i think you have to set your "out" to "9,10" for the master rec.
    to work. i don't have gigastudio in front of me so i am doing this from memory - but go to , i think,
    settings or preferences and look at all the tabs and make sure one of them for the "audio" is set to "9,10".

i hope this helps.

Question Re: creating an audio file from GigaStudio3

Quote Originally Posted by SecondSelf View Post
    i used to use gigastudio 3 - see my other post - i sort of remember having this problem
    before a while back w/ gigastudio and i think you have to set your "out" to "9,10" for the master rec.
    to work. i don't have gigastudio in front of me so i am doing this from memory - but go to , i think,
    settings or preferences and look at all the tabs and make sure one of them for the "audio" is set to "9,10".

i hope this helps.
    Thanks SecondSelf, from your reply it appears that GigaStudio can create audio files from its outputs; given (for me and my friend) the opaqueness of the manual on this, can someone please give detailed procedures for this process? GigaStudio is armed with an orchestra formed from Vienna Symphonic Library samples, Sibelius is ready to send MIDI via ReWire to GigaStudio as a performance of a notated piece: how exactly does one record/export the (stereo) audio data formed in the performance to disk (as, say, a WAV file)?

regards and thanks in advance

michael pennamacoor

Make sure ONLY Outputs 9,10 are selected.

That was the problem I had years ago. And that was the fix
    Also make sure the Master Record button is ARMED.

If this doesn't help then I have no idea what's going on w/ your setup...

Thanks for the below SecondSelf re the Outputs 9,10, but we really need to have a step-by-step, blow-by-blow account of how to get GigaStudio to record/export/render/capture the output from the Sibelius-->Giga-->VSL performance in the form of an audio file (say, dot WAV). I do not have GigaStudio (I'm on a Mac and I usually use Reason for audio) and my friend, (who does have GigaStudio 3) knows how to set up his system to produce great performances (into his stereo system) from the GigaStudio/Sibelius/Vienna Symphonic Library setup, but does not know how to produce an audio file rendition of his great performances. I'm sure it might be possible to (via ReWire) record the output from GigaStudio into a Digital Audio Workstation and get an audio file from there, but he doesn't have a DAW installed, and I feel GigaStudio can do this by itself, but I cannot see this explained in the manual...

So, please, can anyone give detailed instructions as to how to record or capture audio (to a dot WAV, say) from GigaStudio outputs (from a performance of a piece created in Sibelius or any other sequencer/notation program)?

regards and thanks in advance

michael pennamacoor

Quote Originally Posted by SecondSelf View Post
    Make sure ONLY Outputs 9,10 are selected.

That was the problem I had years ago. And that was the fix
    Also make sure the Master Record button is ARMED.

If this doesn't help then I have no idea what's going on w/ your setup...

Hi Michael,

Sounds like your friend isn't getting very far. I can't unfortunately provide advice on how to get the audio directly to a file on disk as per the setup you are dealing with. However, I wanted to reply so that a last ditch scenario isn't forgotten. I use GS3/4, but in separate PCs to the one I do the sequencing on. In order to get sounds out of the GS machines, I just connect up the outputs on them to a mixer and bring that back in to my sequencing PC. The sequencer on that (Sonar) allows me to bounce the input audio tracks down and create an audio file. In essence I'm recording the outputs of the GS machines in real time (in my case in analogue, but it could be done digitally via S/PDIF, ADAT, etc). So if your friend can hear the sound from his system, it means it is recordable, even if you have to route a line out from the sound card into some other device to do the recording. If I was in the same situation, I have a small portable recorder that can record in .wav format digitally, and I'd settle for that rather than not record anything at all.

HTH in some way,

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian J. View Post
    Hi Michael,

Sounds like your friend isn't getting very far. I can't unfortunately provide advice on how to get the audio directly to a file on disk as per the setup you are dealing with. However, I wanted to reply so that a last ditch scenario isn't forgotten. I use GS3/4, but in separate PCs to the one I do the sequencing on. In order to get sounds out of the GS machines, I just connect up the outputs on them to a mixer and bring that back in to my sequencing PC. The sequencer on that (Sonar) allows me to bounce the input audio tracks down and create an audio file. In essence I'm recording the outputs of the GS machines in real time (in my case in analogue, but it could be done digitally via S/PDIF, ADAT, etc). So if your friend can hear the sound from his system, it means it is recordable, even if you have to route a line out from the sound card into some other device to do the recording. If I was in the same situation, I have a small portable recorder that can record in .wav format digitally, and I'd settle for that rather than not record anything at all.

HTH in some way,

Ian
    Thanks Ian; this suggestion to use an analogue-to-digital converter (I use iMic for my stuff) from his audio outs (headphone output etc) into another PC (which he has), say, running Audacity (which I also use with my Mac) was a third answer to my Giga friend (after doing it with Giga alone, via bounce-to-disk or audio capture etc; or Giga ReWired to a DAW like Reaper). This is bound to work. But, it sure would be nice to do it with Giga alone -- and I feel it can be done, just need a blow-by-blow account of the procedure. For my audio, I use Reason which can not only export a piece to audio file but do it without even any playback necessary.

Thanks again Ian: it was helpful in confirming a notion I had about last resorts. In the interim I have downloaded Audacity and Reaper for my friend's PC and I have my little iMic for the A-to-D conversion, so I could go round to his studio and have a go at your suggestion if nothing else crops up by way of how to get to master record in Giga...

regards

michael

GigaStudio can load sample files up to 512 gigabytes in length. The first few milliseconds of each sample are loaded into RAM for instant playback, then the rest of the sample streams off of the hard drive. This gives you access to big, dynamic samples without needing tons of RAM into your computer.
    But what does it mean to have gigabytes of samples? How is this better than the Piano sound in my favorite synth? Let's compare the 3 gigabyte GigaPiano II, included with the Orchestra and Ensemble editions of GigaStudio 3.0, with the 16 to 64 megabyte piano sample found in a typical synthesizer.

Go Back to forum