Quote Originally Posted by Styxx View Post
    You can say that again!

You can say that again!

THE MAN'S NUTS .... GRAB 'EM!

getting frisky, are we?

Re: "Why Do You Compose?"

You might as well ask, "Why do I breathe...?"

Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

I understand you all, but what are your goals concerning your compositions?
    ~Rodney

Do you want them published, performed, discovered, on movies or games, or just for yourself?
    ~Rodney

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx View Post
    ...... THE MAN'S NUTS .... GRAB 'EM!

Beware!!!!

The Nutty Composer

Quote Originally Posted by composingatnight View Post
    Do you want them published, performed, discovered, on movies or games, or just for yourself?
    ~Rodney
    Just for myself and if somebody else likes them, nice. I must do something during rainy days.......

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Just for myself and if somebody else likes them, nice. I must do something during rainy days.......

Raymond
    And you do it well, sir!

As for myself ... would be nice if someone was interested in using one of my comps for a film or movie part or part of their body or something. Maybe it would lessen the load and burden of me financial situation, however, I hear there are giant shrimp in the gulf of Mexico so it's off to shrimping' I go!

Quote Originally Posted by composingatnight View Post
    ~Rodney
    Oh! Well that's a simpler question. People in the arts who actually make money with what they do are very rare, and of course fortunate that they manage to make a living doing what they love to do.

But there isn't a true artist alive who's main reason for practicing their art is to make money. That's why there are millions of actors who keep doing it without pay, why walls of homes fill up with paintings that weren't bought or sold, and probably now more than ever, thanks to computer technology, there are gifted composer/musicians all over the world content to "just" make music.

I've had some fortunate things happen with some of my music, but the vast majority of what I write hasn't made me a penny. That un-sold music isn't just for me though. I've always had friends who enjoy what I write, and I share it online for the enjoyment of others.

Like a lot of people, I wasn't blessed with the talent of ambition. I've done very little to promote my music. The few times I've tried, it's so boring, it's so difficult and discouraging - so I always beat a hasty retreat and return to my studio. I sometimes have specific goals for some music, like my show based on "Tom Sawyer" which I've been posting songs from in The Listening Room - That was an un-paid commission. Whether or not the producer who asked for me to write it actually does anything with it is still up in the air. That's a theatre piece, and and such, doesn't really exist until it's on a stage. So I have a goal for that work - to have a theatre do it. And I may let a group do it for virtually no fee, just so the show can stand on its legs.

But generally - my only goal with my music is to enjoy creating it.

Randy

I compose to get the music I hear out of my head to make room for more. I am inspired by little phrases that flow through my mind and I like the challenge I face to write it out to see if what I write sounds like what I hear. I can't help it, I must write. I still have a piece that I can play on the piano but an unable to transcribe into Finale or anything else. It's like working on a puzzle trying to fit all the pieces together to make the whole picture (isn't that a name of a song? If not then I call dibs!).

I don't know, maybe I just like to...
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

I shared the following on Facebook and our dear friend Randy said I should post what I wrote here.

"Why do you compose?" I have pondered this since it was posted, thinking on how I would reply. Those who know me know my love for creating music, whether by composing, arranging or scoring a piece, even just writing a flute part to accompany a choral work like when I was a choir director. I compose, arrange, and orchestrate because I love touching people's lives with the emotions and feelings I carry within me. Most often the music is spontaneous. Many times it hits me when I am lying in bed and I hear something I have just got to write down. It could be in a restaurant and I quickly write out notes on a paper napkin. I cannot "not" write music. I also work best with deadlines, that's when the music flows. The idea of never writing another note of music....the thought just makes me shudder! I don't work for any big name publisher. I don't work for a studio. I'm not sure it's something I would want to do.

I compose simply for the love of composing and that's how I like it.

Gary
    Serenity Musician (Gary A.)

HP Pavilion Elite, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 12 gig ram, 1 terabyte hd., E-MU 0404, Korg K61, Finale 2012, Sonar X2 Producer

Go Back to forum