• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: "Violin And Piano Number Five"

Share/Bookmark

"Violin And Piano Number Five"

This is my "Violin And Piano Number Five".

The piano is the Garritan Authorized Steinway.

Regards,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Re: "Violin And Piano Number Five"

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander View Post
    This is my "Violin And Piano Number Five".

Regards,
    Pretty nice Larry. What Violin are you using? Most of the time it is pretty convincing. The double stops are the only place where it sound 'synthy'.

Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by jdsnyderii View Post
    Pretty nice Larry. What Violin are you using? Most of the time it is pretty convincing. The double stops are the only place where it sound 'synthy'.

Well done.
    The violin is from the East/West Quantum Leap gold edition sample library. The piano is the Garritan Authorized Steinway.

Regards,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Spritely, happy, classical, so cleanly rendered - All the attributes I always admire in a L. Alexander piece. No disappointments here - Enjoyed it very much.

--One observation on something that puzzles me. The violin track sounds like it was made from two different violins. They each have different amounts of reverb, and different pannings. The instrument we hear the most is more towards the right, and dryer. Then the second sound, used on the double stops and some other short bits, is a bit more to the left, has more reverb, and a different tonal quality. Is this track the blending of two different violins because the first one couldn't do everything you wanted it to?

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Spritely, happy, classical, so cleanly rendered - All the attributes I always admire in a L. Alexander piece. No disappointments here - Enjoyed it very much.

--One observation on something that puzzles me. The violin track sounds like it was made from two different violins. They each have different amounts of reverb, and different pannings. The instrument we hear the most is more towards the right, and dryer. Then the second sound, used on the double stops and some other short bits, is a bit more to the left, has more reverb, and a different tonal quality. Is this track the blending of two different violins because the first one couldn't do everything you wanted it to?

Randy
    The problem is in the East/West samples. It seems that each sample articulation appears in a different position in the stereo spectrum. East/West is aware of the problem and is working on it...I think.

Thanks, my friend, for listening and commenting.

Best,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander View Post
    The problem is in the East/West samples. It seems that each sample articulation appears in a different position in the stereo spectrum. East/West is aware of the problem and is working on it...I think.

Thanks, my friend, for listening and commenting.

Best,
    Ah - I didn't know that about East/West. That's quite a problem. Not only does the position change, but the samples have different reverb, and very different tone. They apparently cobbled together disparate samples, hoping to make a cohesive instrument, but we can hear how the samples are from different sources.

Too bad they couldn't program the violin more like what was done with the late-lamented Garritan Strad. The default articulation is solo, but when you do double stops, that's automatically detected and it goes temporarily into polyphonic mode. Or if you want to stay in polyphonic mode, you get there with a keyswitch - but of course much of the time you want the default mono mode. But there was no change in the sound of the instrument - just in its functionality. Excellent virtual instrument, that good o'l Strad.

Randy

What a joy to listen to this piece.

Thank you for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Damon View Post
    What a joy to listen to this piece.

Thank you for posting.

Thanks for the kind words, Mister Sean, and thank you for replying.

Regards,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Ah - I didn't know that about East/West. That's quite a problem. Not only does the position change, but the samples have different reverb, and very different tone. They apparently cobbled together disparate samples, hoping to make a cohesive instrument, but we can hear how the samples are from different sources.

Too bad they couldn't program the violin more like what was done with the late-lamented Garritan Strad. The default articulation is solo, but when you do double stops, that's automatically detected and it goes temporarily into polyphonic mode. Or if you want to stay in polyphonic mode, you get there with a keyswitch - but of course much of the time you want the default mono mode. But there was no change in the sound of the instrument - just in its functionality. Excellent virtual instrument, that good o'l Strad.

Randy
    Yes, I hope that East/West repairs it soon. The only way that I can prevent this anomaly is to always use the solo violin in mono mode and I don't want to do that.

Best,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Yo Larry! I like this. Yet another sprite piece from your pen. I bet that players would walk away from this with blisters on there fingers. My hearing sensitivity is a whole lot less than it used to be so I don't hear the sound issues that have been pointed out but I can still enjoy the fun of the piece. Thanks for posting. Jay

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast