• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Legend of Erthia OST - Serpent of the Void

Share/Bookmark

The Legend of Erthia OST - Serpent of the Void

Here is one of the songs I composed for the game I am currently creating, "The Legend of Erthia." It is a free fan based Might and Magic inspired game that I have been working on for a while. I do have much completed so I decided to begin the soundtrack process . This is the song where the party encounters the Serpent of the Void, "In Might and Magic history there is a creature called the Gamma Gazer." It is a powerful laser spitting hydra like beast. It was encountered MM - World of Xeen. In LOE I decided to bring this creature back but with its upgrades: Gamma Gazer/Etheral Serpent/Serpent of the Void. For those who have played MM6-9 will know how the creature upgrades works.

The song was composed using mostly Garritan Instant Orchestra, still now my favourite used library since I purchased it. I am loving those lush sordino strings!!! I use them all the time! Same with the organic and wagner brass! I hope Garritan releases the 24 bit version soon!

Here is the song:

Re: The Legend of Erthia OST - Serpent of the Void

Hi, sururick - That's sure some well-done and grand sounding gaming music for sure. I see from the thumbnails that appeared at the end of the video, that you have quite a few other Legend of Erthia pieces up. You're going strong, looks like. More power to you!

Here's something trivial - You're not alone in calling instrumental sound track pieces like this "songs," but it's not correct to call them that. They're - well, pieces. Themes, sound cues, - just musical pieces really. A song doesn't have to have lyrics, there are instrumental "songs," but pieces like you've posted keep getting called "songs" as a general way of referring to music - as if all musical compositions are "songs" when actually most aren't.

Like I said, it's a rather trivial point, but it bugs me! lol--so, wanted to mention it.

Thanks for sharing your work.

Randy

Thanks for the feedback! I am a rookie composer and musician as compared many, but what would you consider a song?

This sure sounds like game music. It is nice and full with a dramatic sound fit for a game.
    Nice post. Thanks, Jay.

Quote Originally Posted by sururick View Post
    Thanks for the feedback! I am a rookie composer and musician as compared many, but what would you consider a song?
    Hello again, sururick - Thanks for the follow up question. I feel you'll be doing yourself a service by not calling your gaming soundtrack work "songs"--at the least, you'll come across more cool.

Songs are primarily written for singers. The music is simpler than in a lot of instrumentals, so it's singable. Then there's music which is in "song form" derived from vocal music, but written for just instruments. "Art songs" are less repetitive, and so generally more sophisticated than plain songs.

Songs, vocal or not, are primarily melody oriented. The music in movies and video games is mostly derived from classical forms which aren't in song form.

So - you'd never hear movie maestro John Williams referring to one of his pieces as "a song."

And so forth.

Randy

Thanks for the feedback Jay!

Thanks Randy! That does make more sense now. I guess I would be safe to call them just compositions !

Brilliant stuff. Loved Might and Magic in its day. You captured the spirit of series perfectly with that well orchestrated and produced piece.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Thanks Plowking! Might and Magic VI along with Ultima VII are two of my favourite games. I also like some of the very oldies such as, The Guardian Legend and Crystalis for Nintendo. If you are interested in Might and Magic you may find LOE interesting as well. I am creating it as a cross between MM7 and MMV&5 - World of Xeen. It is a non-profit fan based project. I got quite a bit done so far. I am mainly working on dialogue, story, and a little more level design. I have about 56 maps created which is pretty much similar to MM6. You can see screenshots, videos, and skill information at:

www.legendoferthia.com

Go Back to forum