• Register
  • Help

Topic: GJBB Instruments Don't React To Velocity Changes In Logic Pro 9

Share/Bookmark

GJBB Instruments Don't React To Velocity Changes In Logic Pro 9

Hi,

There seems to be an issue with the compatibility between Logic Pro 9 and GJBB when it comes to velocity.
    My 4-Trombone section plays quite nicely but there is no reaction in the sound when I change the velocity setting of individual notes in the Logic Piano Roll. I can actually turn the value to zero and the notes are still playing.

Some threads I found online suggest that this has to be worked around with aux channels.
    That I'm afraid is over my head without a closer explanation.
    Anybody know of this problem and can steer me in the right direction please?

As a trombone player of over 40 years I'm offended at the fact that us bone players don't know how to react to soft and loud. I was always proud of the fact that I managed to follow "the stick" pretty closely.

Any help's much appreciated!

Thanks, GB

Re: GJBB Instruments Don't React To Velocity Changes In Logic Pro 9

Quote Originally Posted by OZarr View Post
    Hi,

There seems to be an issue with the compatibility between Logic Pro 9 and GJBB when it comes to velocity.
    My 4-Trombone section plays quite nicely but there is no reaction in the sound when I change the velocity setting of individual notes in the Logic Piano Roll. I can actually turn the value to zero and the notes are still playing...
    Hi, OZarr - You're talking about JABB, "Jazz and Big Band" from Garritan, I do believe.

Like all Garritan Libraries, the instruments don't use velocity for volume. You're used to standard MIDI spec instruments where the volume is controlled by the velocity values. In Garritan, volume is controlled by CC1 (Mod Wheel). Velocity introduces something more subtle - the lower the velocity, the slower the attack envelope. So for aggressive attack envelopes, you increase the amount of velocity.

But use CC1 and you'll have a much more musical sounding result, since you can change the volume dynamically over time during sustained notes. That's the way it works in JABB.

Randy B.

Go Back to forum