• Register
  • Help

Topic: Orchestral Libraries: Lay Of The Land As Of Spring 2012

Share/Bookmark

Orchestral Libraries: Lay Of The Land As Of Spring 2012

I may stumble into a little bit of money shortly, so I am beginning to look at moving from GPO4 to another orchestral library, or at least supplement it. I'd like to solicit opinions on the lay of the land as of spring 2012, and I'm interested in any comments the denizens of NSS have regarding them.

I would like to stay in the ballpark of $500 if at all possible for whatever library I might buy. I can move the ballpark fences in our out some, but I cannot double it.

Also, I am beginning to thing seriously about investing in separate libraries for each instrument family starting with strings. On that note I am wondering what people think of the new Cinematic Strings 2.0 (currently right at my price point) and the upcoming Adagio by 8dio.

One particular goal I have with any library is to be able to capture a fairly full range of orchestral expression, not just the current Hollywood cinema craze. So I'm wondering if, for example, Cinematic Strings (or Hollywood Strings) have this capability despite their name, or if there is some library more suitable.

Also, I would really like to avoid getting too bogged down in controllers and settings, though I know they are a necessary part of synthetic orchestral composition. It seems to me some of the newer libraries are trying to make this a more achievable goal. Out of the box good sound is preferred. I can tweak it from there.

Yes I can, have, and will look at demos. But the Northern Sound Source crowd is IMO more sensitive to general orchestral interests, and I value your input. I do not want to narrow the focus of your responses, so feel free to comment in whatever fashion suits you.
    John B.
    ------------------
    Sonar 8.5 Producer (64 bit)
    Notion 3

GPO4
    EWQL Symphonic Choirs

2.5 GHz Core2 Quad, 8 GB RAM, Windows 7 64-bit
    Audiophile 192

Keystation 61es

Re: Orchestral Libraries: Lay Of The Land As Of Spring 2012

Quote Originally Posted by John6448 View Post
    I may stumble into a little bit of money shortly, so I am beginning to look at moving from GPO4 to another orchestral library, or at least supplement it. I'd like to solicit opinions on the lay of the land as of spring 2012, and I'm interested in any comments the denizens of NSS have regarding them.

I would like to stay in the ballpark of $500 if at all possible for whatever library I might buy. I can move the ballpark fences in our out some, but I cannot double it.

Also, I am beginning to thing seriously about investing in separate libraries for each instrument family starting with strings. On that note I am wondering what people think of the new Cinematic Strings 2.0 (currently right at my price point) and the upcoming Adagio by 8dio.

One particular goal I have with any library is to be able to capture a fairly full range of orchestral expression, not just the current Hollywood cinema craze. So I'm wondering if, for example, Cinematic Strings (or Hollywood Strings) have this capability despite their name, or if there is some library more suitable.

Also, I would really like to avoid getting too bogged down in controllers and settings, though I know they are a necessary part of synthetic orchestral composition. It seems to me some of the newer libraries are trying to make this a more achievable goal. Out of the box good sound is preferred. I can tweak it from there.

Yes I can, have, and will look at demos. But the Northern Sound Source crowd is IMO more sensitive to general orchestral interests, and I value your input. I do not want to narrow the focus of your responses, so feel free to comment in whatever fashion suits you.
    at your price point, the libraries you quote are all very good. I still love EWQLSO, as an all round orchestra... at less than 500 you get all the instruments and an excellent out of the box sound... no real legato though, and Play can mean trouble to some, not me... A library that I feel I can suggest is VSL Special Edition Download. The woodwinds, currently at 75 Euros, are spectacular and at 280 the strings standard/extended have a great quality-price ratio. One library I'm still using after several years is Kirk Hunter's Solo Strings 1, at 99$ it has some very useful sounds to inject life in strings, but you have to have Kontakt. 8dio Adagio only has violins, if I remember correctly, but it sounds good...

It sounds to me like Albion is what you are looking for.

http://www.spitfireaudio.com/albion.html

3rd party demo:
    http://youtu.be/Czjss4VThQA

music

This product is well suited for techno, drum ‘n’ bass, dubstep, hip hop, bigbeat, trance and electro, as well as pop and ambient music.
    Look more cleaning gold coast visiting that page and used cars. Then visita como vender por internet.

I agree...Albion all the way. My best buy of the year so far. I also got the Spitfire Solo Strings which are great.

Andy B

Quote Originally Posted by musicjon View Post
    It sounds to me like Albion is what you are looking for.

http://www.spitfireaudio.com/albion.html

3rd party demo:
    http://youtu.be/Czjss4VThQA

+1 for Hollywood strings - gold, considering your rig. I express my sympathy to all lib developers out there, old and new, but in my opinion only eastwest guys made the longest trial and error journey, from Akai days, thru Ewqlso, to Hollywood line. You cant learn from someone`s experience, only your own.

Go Back to forum