• Register
  • Help

Topic: Orchestral Library Comparison... Need help!

Share/Bookmark

Orchestral Library Comparison... Need help!

Hello,

I've been looking at several affordable orchestral libraries and I can't seem to decide on one. I know people usually get several libraries to encompass a wider range of sounds anyway, but I just want to start off with one. Preferably one that is well-rounded in terms of capability. Something capable of making both big cinematic and nice classical music. With that being said, can anyone help me differentiate between these orchestral libraries?

East West Quantam Leap Symphonic Orchestra Gold
    Albion Spitfire
    Halion Symphonic Orchestra
    Any other suggestions??? (under $600)

I initially wanted to get Orchestral Essentials from ProjectSam, but it seems limited to dark and cinematic sounds with barely any solo instruments. I'd appreciate any feedback, comments, and/or suggestions.

Thank you!

Re: Orchestral Library Comparison... Need help!L

Do you own the full version of Kontakt 5? You'll need it for a lot of the good "non-player" Kontakt libraries out there, and it comes with a nice set of VSL orchestral instruments including some very usable solo woodwind and brass.

The East/West Play stuff works best on a well configured Windows computer, I don't think the EWQL Gold orchestra is that attractive of a package. Their Hollywood String and Brass libraries are very impressive, but a bit out of your budget.

If you have the basic orchestral library that comes with Kontakt I would suggest supplementing it with Cinematic Strings 2.0 ($499) and the Project Sam Orchestral Brass set ($249).

Re: Orchestral Library Comparison... Need help!

Another all in one package worth considering is the Kirk Hunter series:

http://www.kirkhunterstudios.com/index.html

I have Kontakt essentials, which comes with some instruments from VSL. It's not as comprehensive as other orchestral libraries but I agree it's usable.

I'd love to get libraries that specialize in individual sections, but yea I don't have the budget for that. For sure I'd start off with strings and brass though. One day...

East West looks and sounds great from what I've seen but I get turned off by the amount of RAM it uses up and the loading times. But I'm still considering it.

Hi there!

Since you never mention your pc specs, or what DAW you are working in, I`d like to bring in a fresh view

Supposing you don`t have major sequencer running, and you want to progress in orchestra scoring - you might consider just starting by getting a notation program.

For example - the new Sibelius 7 - its about 600$, and it has some nice new sounds - you should google their site and read about it.

Finale has some pluses too.

And Notion - while its included sounds are... never mind - but visually abd technically - its a marvelous scoring and even performing(!) tool.

"Playing" notation vs piano roll stuff is really tough choice, and as I use both for years, I can tell you this: unless you extensively use Cubase`s note expression tech (google if you`re not familiar with it) DAW does`nt offer much for classical orchestra samples. They are clean - no filters nedeed, no deep individual compression, no extreme effect needed. Its mostly scoring and leveling dynamics. But on the other hand - nothing can replace the "full score" reading and writing skills - if you get strong in it, you make yourself a HugE favor in terms of real world music and your possible future career.

Feel free to ask more stuff

VZ

Re: Orchestral Library Comparison... Need help!L

Quote Originally Posted by TechEverlasting View Post
    Do you own the full version of Kontakt 5? You'll need it for a lot of the good "non-player" Kontakt libraries out there, and it comes with a nice set of VSL orchestral instruments including some very usable solo woodwind and brass.

The East/West Play stuff works best on a well configured Windows computer, I don't think the EWQL Gold orchestra is that attractive of a package. Their Hollywood String and Brass libraries are very impressive, but a bit out of your budget.

If you have the basic orchestral library that comes with Kontakt I would suggest supplementing it with Cinematic Strings 2.0 ($499) and the Project Sam Orchestral Brass set ($249).
    If i try play at least Kontakt (latest which starts number 4) play crescendo i get very ugly phasing problems. basic teason why i even need more and basic reason means i have maybe other reasons but this is single reason which is way too much.....

Garritan Personal Orchestra is ok to start

ewqlso gold is a good all-round choice, sounds good out of the box... but you might also consider VSL special edition, affordable and with some great sounding instruments. It does need some reverberation though, as it's recorded rather dry, which can be an advantage in a way.

I'd say if you've already got Kontakt, and I'm assuming a sequencer, your best bet would be Albion. VSL SE is a great choice too, and you get their player and Vienna Ensemble, which is great. But if you've already invested in Kontakt, and have some of the VSL sounds that come with it, Albion would be a good full orchestral set.

However, if you are after dedicated sections, I'd say just get them one at a time, over time. Start with say strings. Get either CS2, or LASS lite to start. Cinebrass Core for brass. You wouldn't be able to get both strings and brass at the same time considering your budget, but if you have a bass orchestra now with kontakt, patience will pay off.

I've got VSL SE, and EWQLSO Silver, Kontakt 5 (all of which took me forever to get thanks to layoffs at work :P). Now though I'm aiming bigger and slowly getting dedicated libraries. Just bought Cinebrass Core, and will get Pro shortly. I'm going for CS2 next, Mars and Venus for choirs, Hollywood Winds from Cinesamples (though may hold out for the release of their new Cinewinds). I may pick of Albion at some point too. May also get LASS lite too, down the road, and then upgrade to full LASS 2. I want Hollywood strings and Hollywood Brass, but the Play engine is keeping me away at the moment. We shall see. So far I love Cinebrass.

Point is patience will pay off if you take your time and gather some good stuff over time, rather than settling. Just my thoughts anyways.

Go Back to forum