• Register
  • Help

Topic: Arrival of Father Andrew

Share/Bookmark

Arrival of Father Andrew

Here is the “Arrival of Father Andrew” movement from the Woodwind septet that includes A Lost Spirit. It also incorporates quartal harmony and polytonal techniques.

http://www.box.com/s/c91ae2f0985e5b35900b

Re: Arrival of Father Andrew

Hi, Tom - I take it Father Andrew is quite a character! Who is he?

I enjoyed this, especially the section from :21 to :42. The quirky 3rd part was fun too. It's all so short!--but covers more ground than one would imagine could be done in a minute forty.

Allow me a reverb comment - I keep swearing to myself that I'll get off the subject, but sometimes I just can't. I just wish you could dial the reverb WAaaay back on this. It's another "band is up against the back wall of the stage in a large, but empty auditorium, save for me, the listener who is up against the back wall of the house, a mile away from the stage." I know the music would come across with more pizzazz if it wasn't so swimming in reverb. You're working in Finale - in the Mixer there has to be a control to turn the amount down.

OK - so I did my reverb rant for this week.--- um, maybe.

Thanks for the interesting music.

Randy

The only reverb being used is Garritan. I have, from time to time, dialed it to less than half, but when it gets saved to audio it all comes back full strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    The only reverb being used is Garritan. I have, from time to time, dialed it to less than half, but when it gets saved to audio it all comes back full strength.
    Has to be because Finale is controlling the amount. Do look for where that's set in Finale. Even 1/2 is too much, but it sure would improve the recordings.

Randy

I will keep looking; just haven’t found it yet. Perhaps, now that the play is done, I will turn it into a 3 movement woodwind septet. The director wanted only a little over a minute for the piece to fit the set change, but I could easily expand it should the notion strike.

I compliment you on the quartal harmony usage. I have written some pieces that way and have to slave over understanding harmonic structure and keeping track of tonal centers. This piece works quite well.

Along with Randy, I agree that the reverb saturates the sound way too much. I am sure that you can tweak that in the Human Playback setup somewhere. I will check Finale myself and see if I can figure it out. I will let you know if I do.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Go Back to forum