• Register
  • Help

Topic: string quartet

Share/Bookmark

Re: string quartet

Hello ivan,

I suggest Posting a description of the music, how you rendered it, and any other information, otherwise, it looks like spam.

I listened to your quartet, and you did some good work here. now tell me more.

Mason

Hi Mason and thanks for your reply.

This is the finale of a Schumann quartet named "Clara" after his wife the 2nd movement.
    I wrote the sequence of all four movements years ago before 2000 Im sure.
    I have tried many different string sounds over the years. This rendering is of course the latest. My approach is to find the string sounds that permit all four instruments to be heard clearly. Schumann has all four parts contributing gems that must be heard. The 1st violin and cello take the lead with the 2nd violin and viola giving support that is breath taking. There are subtile dissonances in the inner strings.

I just got the VS solo strings from Kontakt 5 factory content. I tried mabe 30 different halls and rooms. None were suitable. Too fuzzy sounding and overloaded with reverb.

What else would you like to know? Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan S View Post
    I think you did a pretty nice work here, Ivan. The choice of doing a mono rendering gives it an "old style" kind of sound which some may like, but I prefer to open the stereo image, particularly if you listen on headphones. One thing that's not right (a problem I have to face myself) is the attacks of some of the notes, too slow to give a correct sense of phrasing. It's like trying to talk without using consonants, you miss the intelligibility of words...

Quote Originally Posted by oldbob View Post
    I think you did a pretty nice work here, Ivan. The choice of doing a mono rendering gives it an "old style" kind of sound which some may like, but I prefer to open the stereo image, particularly if you listen on headphones. One thing that's not right (a problem I have to face myself) is the attacks of some of the notes, too slow to give a correct sense of phrasing. It's like trying to talk without using consonants, you miss the intelligibility of words...
    Thank you for your comment.
    The format of my source file of this second movement is 24 bit 96kHz sample rate and 216.9 MBs in size. I recorded 4 audio tracks, one for each instrument of the quartet. I reduced the stereo clip to mono mp3 so that the size of the clip would be small, only 1.9 MBs for posting on the forum.

In the stereo version the 4 parts sound spread out and are much more articulate in 2 channels than the mono version. None of my music is suited for headphones.

Go Back to forum