• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Revery, Clover, and the bees" for winds, piano and perc. lyrics by Emily Dickinson

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb "Revery, Clover, and the bees" for winds, piano and perc. lyrics by Emily Dickinson

The story:
    Down in the 90's I wrote a piece for the Conservatorio students year-end concerto. It was performed and recorded, but recording was on an old cassette audio tape, damaged and finally lost.

Even if it was for a "forced" ensamble (the students available asking for the piece were the wind octet and a percussionist, but I had the chance of asking help of a good pianist and a good Soprano) and it had to be "easy to read and to play" for very little rehershal time and low technical skills of the winds players, I still love this piece, because the lyrics I used for the composition were so nice and lovely, and music got emotional.

Then I decided to try having it back to life in some way, with my actual Home Studio.

The music:
    https://www.box.com/s/db398f83673e01f0a7e6

The piece is made of 4 sections, composed on 4 different lyrics of Emily Dickinson (1830-1886). The recursive image of bees and clover and prairie, is linked in the poetic of Emily to the dreams. Dreams are bitter illusions as well... and can distract from the reality so quickly running away... but finally the quiet dreamy prairie is where she feel the heart has home and rest. The music follows this poetic trip with echoes of 19th century folk-songs and modern drama melt in the score style, targeting to be modern but sweet and euphonic.

To make a prairie it takes a clover and one bee,
    One clover, and a bee,
    And revery.
    The revery alone will do
    If bees are few.

Dreams are the subtle Dower
    That make us rich an Hour -
    Then fling us poor
    Out of the Purple Door
    Into the Precinct raw
    Possessed before -

I held a Jewel in my fingers -
    And went to sleep -
    The day was warm, and winds were prosy -
    I said "'Twill keep" -
    I woke - and chid my honest fingers,
    The Gem was gone -
    And now, an Amethyst remembrance
    Is all I own -

It's all I have to bring today -
    This, and my heart beside -
    This, and my heart, and all the Bees
    Which in the Clover dwell.

The score (if somebody is interested in):
    https://www.box.com/s/addd19ecac39eb663bb5

The piece was composed for Soprano, winds octet (2 Flutes, 2 Oboes, 2 Clarinets, French Horn and Bassoon) Pianoforte and percussion (triangle, snare drum, vibraphone)

The rendition is featuring all 1st parts by GPO (they have a nice "solo" character and vibrato) 2nd parts by Vienna SE (to have different sound), French Horn by Sample modeling (very expressive) and GPO percussion and piano (so easy and good sounding).
    It's amazing how the Garritan sounds are sitting well even in an ambitious mix, beside advanced and expensive libraries.

The soprano is made with Play EWQL SC: it's a frustrating experience working with this library, filled with bugs and unpredictable malfunctions, and it's requested quite a bit of tweaking and digital alchemy to make it sound good in a mix. But actually it's the only professional sound tool for singing words (other choirs sound better but have few syllabs only, other tools sing words but have ridiculous synthetic sound). I still dream somebody makes another working better, and makes me free of this bad working tool.

Re: "Revery, Clover, and the bees" for winds, piano and perc. lyrics by Emily Dickin

Very interesting piece. The music is unpredictable and well orchestrated, reminded me of Mussorgsky for some reason.

The choir is a little distracting but I understand the limitations here. I have the choir as well and it requires a lot of trial and error and painstaking tweaking with the phrases to get it to sound smooth.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Talking Re: "Revery, Clover, and the bees" for winds, piano and perc. lyrics by Emily Dickin

Quote Originally Posted by Plowking View Post
    Very interesting piece. The music is unpredictable and well orchestrated, reminded me of Mussorgsky for some reason.

The choir is a little distracting but I understand the limitations here. I have the choir as well and it requires a lot of trial and error and painstaking tweaking with the phrases to get it to sound smooth.
    Thanks, yes the way winds interact has some of late romantic and Russian as well. Even if I was dreaming of American prairies..

and yes the voice of a real solo soprano should fit better... :P

Re: "Revery, Clover, and the bees" for winds, piano and perc. lyrics by Emily Dickin

Fabio, this is beautiful, and I'm so glad to see you posting some music for us to hear.

You captured for me the spirit of Emily Dickinson so perfectly. This is mesmerizing - and I should know, I've listened to it several times now and feel I'm still under an enchantment.

You know, the main topic of these Forums is making music with software. While we sometimes post music that includes analog sources such as vocals, what we're focusing on and mostly discussing is the use of virtual instruments. So I feel no apologies are needed for what you've accomplished here with the EWQL vocal library.

When we're writing music that could be performed by live musicians and singers, naturally we would ideally enjoy hearing our work presented that way. But to say a recording is flawed because it's used software sound sources is contrary to the reason we're all here. Naturally it will be wonderful to hear a soprano sing these lines, but meanwhile, you've done what I think is the best possible job with your vocal software. It's more than adequate.

I'm very grateful to have heard this.

Randy

Very interesting piece

I like it and the quality you have instilled in it. The vocal does fit well with the instruments. And I agree with you, I too wish there would be a good vocal sound that could produce words easily. I have looked at the software you mentioned and listen to some professional demos as well as user demos of them and seen how difficult they are to work with. You have done an excellent job of making this vocal fit into your mix.

Thank you for sharing, I enjoyed it immensely.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

sounds wonderful!
    And the solo voice sounds not bad at all.

I liked this quite a bit. I'm glad you decided to revisit this. I think you did a great job with the vocal part. Wasn't there supposed to be a Garritan Choral library in the works.....?
    Trent P. McDonald

Hi Fabio,

What a beautiful and original sounding piece ... I'm glad you ressurrected it, dressed it up, and posted it to share with us. And like several others, I didn't find the virtual soprano to be a hinderence; the overall effect was fine.

The music and orchestration really fits the lyrics; it's melancholy, sweet, and dreamy; just a very lovely and original work.

Thanks for sharing it ... I really enjoyed it!

Regards,

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Fabio, ...
    You know, the main topic of these Forums is making music with software. While we sometimes post music that includes analog sources such as vocals, what we're focusing on and mostly discussing is the use of virtual instruments. So I feel no apologies are needed for what you've accomplished here with the EWQL vocal library.

When we're writing music that could be performed by live musicians and singers, naturally we would ideally enjoy hearing our work presented that way. But to say a recording is flawed because it's used software sound sources is contrary to the reason we're all here. Naturally it will be wonderful to hear a soprano sing these lines, but meanwhile, you've done what I think is the best possible job with your vocal software. It's more than adequate.

Randy
    Thanks, of course I'm hyper-critic with myself, comparing it with the ideal (maybe unreal...) sound I've in my brain...

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post

I have looked at the software you mentioned and listen to some professional demos as well as user demos of them and seen how difficult they are to work with. You have done an excellent job of making this vocal fit into your mix.
    Yep, 2 comments: the tool has been designed for epic cinematic effects, but it was so ambitious and complete, that if the midi processor was working, it should really sing whatever music you may dream of. The point is the plug-in has a couple of bugs (doesn't follow time changes, getting confused by midi durations instead, and due to overflow sometime doesn't reset the volume or velocity of some samples, resulting in strange consonant or vowel behavior like missing or excessive loudness of some phonemes) which make it almost unusable for expressive music without lot of pain and workarounds.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast