• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: orchestral perc. samples almost completed

Share/Bookmark

orchestral perc. samples almost completed

Hello everyone I am almost through recording my orchestral percussion samples and I am about to start mapping all of them. One question (for me this doesnt\' really matter). Would you, as composers and arranger, rather have accesory intruments such as tamb\'s, trinagles, castanets, etc. that will all be on one .gig file velocity switched OR mapped out next to each other such as C1 triangle p, C#1 triangle mf, D1 triangle f, etc. or like this:

Alan Able 6\" triangle single hits (p,mf,f) C1
    Alan Able 6\" triangle rolls (p,mf,f)C#1
    Grover 6\" trinagle single hits (p,mf,f)D1
    Grover 6\" triangle rolls (p,mf,f)D#1
    Grover 9\" triangle single hits (p,mf,f)E1
    etc. etc.

To me the second way seems easier but I just wanted to get everyone\'s opinion to see.

I\'ll let you guys know as soon as I\'m finished and I\'ll put a demo up ASAP.

dc

Re: orchestral perc. samples almost completed

Hmm. Velocity switched would be my preference, as it would make it much more intuitive for performance which will help make things more real sounding.

e4.

Donnie,

For me the 2nd way works best. Please keep us posted about your progress, because like many others I am very interested in a good percussion library.

Jan

Definitely have them respond to velocity as you describe. I would also prefer the 2nd method where the different instruments are on different keys. Can\'t wait to here the stuff.

I’m not sure why you would use velocity. A ‘triangle single’ vs a ‘triangle roll’ has nothing to do with velocity. A dimension controlled by mod wheel would make a lot more sense to me, with each instrument type on a different key.

Can’t wait to see the finished product!

When you play a real percussion instrument, you are constantly striking different velocities/dynamics. The best way to try to recreate a realistic performance would be to play a sound that has multiple velocity switching samples that represent the different dynamics. To have to switch dynamics with the dimmensions on the mod wheel will never allow you to achieve realism in the performance. If Bill is suggesting switching from a single hit to a trem hit via dimmensions, I absolutely agree with that.

>> If Bill is suggesting switching from
    >> a single hit to a trem hit via
    >> dimmensions, I absolutely agree with that.

Yes, that\'s what I\'m suggesting. Donnie had listed only different playing style in his original message. Of course, different velocities should be set up as velocity layers.

Donnie,
    If you need any help with your gig files, I\'d be happy to help you. I\'m a pro, been doing this stuff for a long time so you\'d be in good hands. I\'m really excited about this project. Let me know.
    jscott@presto.com

Yes I\'m also very interested in these
    sample library.......one more specific question: Do U know the Drumsamples
    Hans Zimmer (filmcomposer f.e. BACKDRAFT)
    used (and still using) in his movies ?
    They sound like fat Toms or something like that. I\'m desperately looking for such Samples. The format doesn\'t matter !!
    505@gmx.de

For me the 2nd way works best because i decide how the triangle should be played in my music.
    It is easier to play d2 for p triangle hit instead of finding the right velcity on e.g. c2. In this case you can also manipulate the volume of a single hit via velocity. I like the velocity thing only on pitched perc. instr. like timpani, xylophon etc.

Siggi

Go Back to forum