• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Strings

This topic has probably popped up several times before, but since I am new to GS, I was wondering which set of Strings samples to get....
    To my knowledge, there are three, well, two and one coming out soon, at the moment. The Peter Siedlaczek\'s advance orchestra series. Then there is the Ultimate strings (which sounds very impressive on demos, and specs also very impressive), and finally there is the Miroslav Vitous String which will be out soon I gathered.
    Simply reading the specs doesn\'t help my decision. Hence I would be really grateful if some users can give me some insight into this subject, about the praticality, the sound quality, the diversity of these samples. Many thanks.

Winsted, CT

Re: Strings

We can better answer if we know what you\'re doing musically.

Yes, of course. So sorry for that.
    I do mainly typical slow/rock/pop/ballad background music. And I would really like to have a section of realistic strings to accompany the tunes, which would make my music sound more \"grand\".
    The usual trick I use is slow chords of strings under other instruments, and having higher strings play long and slow notes on top. In other cases, I use fast strings, using them to do runs, scales, just basically anything to enhance the realism of the background music.

Thanks again.

I think our Advanced Orchestra will do the Job very well. And AO is available NOW. Nemesis hypes vitos since more the a year, but nothing happens and I am shure it will take another year until shipping. Of course Vitos sounds great, but the mapping is simple and therefore you can also take the AKAI version. AO contains additional a vitos-styled vibrato strings combination, perfect for ballads, with smooth expression crossfade between f and mp. Sounds great!

Thanks for the information.

What exactly do you mean by crossfade between p and mf? you mean there is actually a raw sample with the strings play from p to mf and vice-versa?
    Is there anywhere apart from the existing GS site that I can find more demos that I can listen to?

Thanks for your information.

Ah, could anyone possibly comment on the Ultimate strings?

I see that most people likes the Ad. Orch., but I don\'t see anyone directly comparing it with Ultimate strings.

to your crossfade - question: You can blend in realtime via Mod-Wheel between the mp and f vibrato strings. So you can realize very espressive string lines.
    All the other instruments on AO-GS are using the key dimension mapping (smart acess), so you can arrange complex, natural sounding lines with different play techniques (legato, staccato and so on) within only one MIDI-channel.

Wow. But how would that work actually? Please explain to me the smart-select concept. So from one channel, I can select different sounds? Is this unique to this sample set? But when I load that set of samples into GS, do I just load one single gig, which contains all the different play style, into one channel of say Violins? Or are there several sets of violins, ie I have to switch channels in order to use them, or some sort of program change?
    mmm......I am very confused now.

Again, thank you for shining some light on this topic.

I think it would be great if someone, and i don\'t neccessaritly want to put this on Holger, but someone who has a little time...to put a up clear and logical explanation on how to use the mod wheel applications in terms of crossfading etc
    Also to have clear instructins on how to use the Enviornment that is shipped with AO.

I certainly dont know how and i\'m producing lots of material consistently for various clients. I just dont have time to fiddle with things....a clear explanation would help. Having said this...i confess that my technical knowlege in certain areas is lacking...butlike many of us im sure..im a musical arranger/writer that has encompassed these new technologies and its a constant time struggle to manage all these.

The lower range of the keyboard (C0-D#1) is defined to be the control range. Tne instrument sound starts somekey above. By simple hitting a control key you can select one of up to 16 different instrumnts play techniques in realtime! So you e.g. can start a string line with a initial sustained note (with bow) and foward with some legato-notes, then play a short line with staccatos and so on. All this can be controlled manually via hitting control-keys or be edited within the sequencer. The benefit: All notes are available within one editor window, no need to make a seperate track for each technique and to waste the rare GS-MIDI slots. If you want to work with prg-changes instead of control-keys, just insert the logic-transformers into your arrange window. Thy translate e.g. the prg-chenge \"2\" to the corresponding control key \"D0\" (prg 0 = CO). This is more comfortable because logic actualizes automatically the prg-changes when skipped to a new play-position and you can edit the values using Hyperdraw.
    It was not possible tosetup the sounds directly using program-changes, because GS doesn´t support a performance-wide prg-change mapping.

Go Back to forum