• Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Topic: Problem With Site ... Uggggggghhhhh!!

Share/Bookmark

Re: Problem With Site ... Uggggggghhhhh!!

Hi All ...

Many thanks Tom, Rich, Chip, Randy, Iacobus, Jack, and LOW ... I REALLY appreciate all your timely suggestions and feedback.

I think the first thing I'm going to do is restore a Ghost image of my C-drive, "Just In Case" there's something burrowing in my OS.

Once I can definitively rule-out my own set-up, I'm going down the items you kindly provided me with. At least now I have a plan ... I'll keep you posted!

Regards,

Frank

Hello Frank, I would hope it's not your hard drive causing the issues! I think your best bet would be to try a different browser. IE9 would probably be an improvement, but I'll echo what everyone else here said and suggest Firefox or Google Chrome. Firefox is a very solid browser when it comes to displaying websites, but Chrome is extremely fast when it comes to running scripts on websites. (Things like the BBCode text-editor use scripts to work and display properly). All three of the browsers mentioned are better at meeting web-development standards than IE8, so chances are, sites you visit other than northernsounds should also display better/load faster.
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Hi Again, Gang ...

Update: Over the past couple of days, I've restored a Ghost image of my C-drive (created the day I had the PC built and configured, April 2010), and then up-graded my Win7 Pro w/ ~ 100 up-dates! I also installed and configured Internet Explorer 9 and, generally speaking, web access is much faster, overall (Thank you, Michael ... IE 9 is, so far for me, a big improvement over 8).

I've come here to write this tonight, and things are much better, at least on the surface (so far, "no clicking" ). When I get some time this weekend, I'll return and try running through a full browsing/listening/commenting session and see if I am "back to normal".

Thanks again to all for your helpful suggestions ... I've printed them out "Just in case"!

Best regards,

Frank

Great Frank. Glad things are improving. Remember, "ONE for all and ALL for one.".......LOL

Jack
    Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Hi Frank,

If you experience that sort of behavior again, I suggest you clear out your browser cache and cookies. Particularly the cache. Ctrl + Shift + Delete.

That will often fix the kind of symptoms you were experiencing. (speaking generically).

Thanks, Jack ... Yes, The Garritan Musketeers ... "ONE for all and ALL for one.".......

Thank you, too, Alan!

Seems the only problem left is when I select something with a mouse click ... takes 10-20 seconds before I can do anything else w/ mouse (L-or-R buttons and Scroll Wheel are all temporarily frozen), but everything else seems stable.

I've also taken Randy's suggesstion and sent a PM to Papa Chalk to take a look if he gets some time.

Alan, re: "clearing the cache/cookies":

I also use a product by Faronics called "Deep Freeze", which essentially prevents any changes to my c-drive once I reboot the next day (assuming Deep Freeze is "On"). Everything from the past day's session reverts back to my as-built (w/ upgrades) pristine configuration ... the registry, no cookies, no viruses, etc). I use this PC strictly for internet access and have used Deep Freeze (and always have it "On") since it was built (IOW, it has never been a problem w/ NS site in the past).

However, I will try manually clearing as you suggest w/ Ctrl + Shift + Delete ... thanks.

Best regards,

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
    ...I also use a product by Faronics called "Deep Freeze", which essentially prevents any changes to my c-drive once I reboot the next day (assuming Deep Freeze is "On"). Everything from the past day's session reverts back to my as-built (w/ upgrades) pristine configuration ...
    Hi, Frank - The problem you're still having with things taking forever to load is exactly what I went through for awhile. I'm glad you've written to PaPaChalk about your problems - it's possible he'll be able to help you out.

I'd never heard of this "Deep Freeze" program before. I went to the Faronics site and have downloaded Deep Freeze, but haven't installed it yet. It's not clear to me if this is a limited trial version, and if the full version costs something, and how much the price is. Could you let me know?

Also, if this is program is basically like always doing a system restore when you boot up in the morning, what do you do with project files? Do you put them on a list to not be touched, something like that?

Randy

Good Morning, Randy ...

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hi, Frank - The problem you're still having with things taking forever to load is exactly what I went through for awhile. I'm glad you've written to PaPaChalk about your problems - it's possible he'll be able to help you out.
    Yes, here's hoping! BTW, one other GREAT site function has been restored: I first found out that you replied to my post this morning in my e-mail! It's super to get these ticklers again!

I'd never heard of this "Deep Freeze" program before. I went to the Faronics site and have downloaded Deep Freeze, but haven't installed it yet. It's not clear to me if this is a limited trial version, and if the full version costs something, and how much the price is. Could you let me know?
    If I recollect, I paid $40-$50 for it ... one-shot; no renewals. It has been a great product. I've been using it for the past two years. The fellow who has built all my PC's since 1998, Yen, first discovered it when he went to his local library and asked how they keep ahead of the "unreliable surfer" curve (Yen was searching for a product for a corporate client w/ many nodes and a few culprits that were always infecting their machines).

Also, if this is program is basically like always doing a system restore when you boot up in the morning, what do you do with project files? Do you put them on a list to not be touched, something like that?

Randy
    The way around that is I have an eSATA drive (although any external/additional drive (USB, FW) would work just as well), and I download anything I want to save to that drive. Important: Yen reconfigured my e-mail file to my external drive as well. I use MS Outlook and everything works fine (if your mail file remained on your c-drive, you would loose whatever mail you downloaded that past day).

I just spent 2-3 days getting everything on my C-drive just the way I want it, all the up-dates, re-configurations and preferences, etc. Now, I will keep Deep Freeze on 4-eveah ... it becomes like Groundhog Day every time you re-boot! When you know something has just attacked your PC, it's a God-send to just have to re-boot.

There MAY be a "do not touch" list, but I never explored that; the separate drive option is too easy for me.

Let me know if you have any more questions,

Frank

Go Back to forum