• Register
  • Help

Topic: Which Gigapiano??? (Once again)

Which Gigapiano??? (Once again)

I know this has been brought up before But now I ask again..... which piano should I buy, the Boesendorfer or the Steinway B... I will almost solely use this for orchestral/symphonic arrangements.

I have the Yamaha one already and I don\'t really like the sound of some of its middle notes.... I need a very smooth and clear sample - the Steinway?... or am I wrong?

Re: Which Gigapiano??? (Once again)

this one\'s pritty easy. If we forgett about the samples and think of a real Boesendorfer and Steinwey B youl get a pritty clear thought on the samples.
    The Boesend. is very dark and strong i bitt more personal tone.
    The Steinwey B is a bit more homogenic and blends pritty well with other instruments, especially in traditionall symphonic music were it serves as a dubbler and harmonic reinforcer. The S. and Yamaha have in their upper register pritty similar tones.

Hope this puts some light on the question,Mike

Thanks Mike. I\'m prolly gonna go for the
    Steinway B then, since that was also my initial thought!

Well, it is an old topic, but I love it. The BOS as a real piano is a beautiful instrument, but the sample just doesn\'t do it justice. The Yamaha doesn\'t sound like a real piano either. The Steinway B is the ONLY way to go. If your main criterion is TONAL REALISM, it demolishes everything else out there SO FAR--including, I think, Coakley\'s Perect Piano, and the other well-known non-GS formats.

I say \"SO FAR\" above because, as others have pointed out, while the Steinway sample has great tonal realism, it could be improved on by, among other things, adding a true pp or ppp layer to the sample, based on the actual character of ppp on a grand (i.e., the hammers move to the right (or is it the left, whatever) and hit only two strings in the middle and upper registers, one string in the mid lower, and brushing the single bass note strings. Merely cutting the volume or velocity to simulate truly soft playing on a piano doesn\'t cut it. You lose half the piano--what a waste.

I know arguments from authority are vulnerable, but my experience (on a KAWAI midsized grand, which I\'ve played all my life) tells me that the soft pedal is at least half of what goes on with piano music, of any kind. In a mix you may not notice it that much, but SOLO it\'s real obvious.

Oliver Truan, are you listening? OR maybe Bill Coakley will do a GIGA steinway for us, with all the trappings, and all the obvious and critical advantages of the larger memory of the GS format.

In 10, 20, 30 years, and I hope I\'m still alive by then, the speed and size of memory will be so huge that samples will be a nearly perfect simulation of the instrument in all its facets. We\'re still at the beginning, but the GS Steinway B is already, with certain types of music, indistinguishable from a real recorded piano sound. It has trouble with the PHYSICAL aspects of piano-playing, so with piano music or playing which is physical in nature, the weaknesses of the sampled sound are more obvious. Again, I\'m just restating what others have already said.

Go Back to forum