• Register
  • Help

Topic: Tuning in Aria player goes flat over the course of a song

Share/Bookmark

Tuning in Aria player goes flat over the course of a song

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit, and running Aria as a VST inside of Sonar Producer x1d.

I am using patches from GPO, Instant Orchestra, and JABB. Only 5 patches total.
    Over the course of a 3 minute song the runing on some of the patches goes progressive out of tune, flat, over the course of the song.

By the end of the song the patches are very far out of tune.

Is this a known bug?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Eric

Re: Tuning in Aria player goes flat over the course of a song

I'm glad you brought this up in General Discussion also - These back page Forums aren't visited very much any more, but people still look in at General.

But - as I'm going to reply on that other thread, I've never heard of something quite like this. I've used Sonar for years, and no soft synth, Garritan Libraries included, have ever lost their tuning. I can't imagine what would make that possible.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    I'm glad you brought this up in General Discussion also - These back page Forums aren't visited very much any more, but people still look in at General.

But - as I'm going to reply on that other thread, I've never heard of something quite like this. I've used Sonar for years, and no soft synth, Garritan Libraries included, have ever lost their tuning. I can't imagine what would make that possible.

Randy
    I discovered my problem. I was stupid. The MOD wheel on my external keyboard is "spring loaded". Meaning it returns to the off position automatically.
    Moving the wheel UP and DOWN affects velocity/volume. Moving the wheel left or right affects pitch.
    So, when I was recording and moved the wheel up and down, there was some slight movement left or right also. This slight movement, unintended movement left/right was causing the pitch variations.

I decided to insert one controller event into each track to set the volume level, without using the mod wheel.
    If I don't insert such an event, Aria will have a zero volume level by default with my spring loaded lever/wheel.

Thanks for the reply.
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Lemmons View Post
    I discovered my problem. I was stupid. The MOD wheel on my external keyboard is "spring loaded". Meaning it returns to the off position automatically.
    Moving the wheel UP and DOWN affects velocity/volume. Moving the wheel left or right affects pitch.
    So, when I was recording and moved the wheel up and down, there was some slight movement left or right also. This slight movement, unintended movement left/right was causing the pitch variations.

I decided to insert one controller event into each track to set the volume level, without using the mod wheel.
    If I don't insert such an event, Aria will have a zero volume level by default with my spring loaded lever/wheel.

Thanks for the reply.
    Eric
    Hey, that's cool you figured out what was going on, Eric.

I have exactly that same kind of mod/lever/stick on my A-800 Pro keyboard. When I ordered it from Sweetwater, I saw that it had this spring loaded "wheel" which is so common on keyboards nowadays, and knew that wouldn't work well with Garritan Libraries.

So I also ordered an M-Audio Expression pedal which sends out CC11. Something neat about the programming in ARIA is that it interprets Expression as Modulation, so you have exactly the same results using CC11 as you do when using CC1.

And that set up works perfectly. For playing my instruments, I use the pedal, and the mod stick is programmed for After Touch, so I can control vibrato on the Garritan instruments that use AT for that.

You're still going to have problems even with inserting a CC1 value at the start of the tracks - As soon as you start recording your volume control, which is something you Must do to really play the dynamics of the instruments, you'll be starting at zero and get a resulting sudden bump down - And then of course you have to maintain pressure on the lever all through your recording process - very clumsy. I recommend you add an Expression pedal to your set up.

Eric - do me a favor? Add a post to your thread about this in General Discussion, because like I pointed out before, that Forum is visited much more often than this Forum that has cobwebs growing on it. It'll be good for that thread to have the solution on it, so when people search for this topic, they'll find out what the problem was. It'd be better to not leave the question unresolved there. Thanks.

Randy

Go Back to forum