• Register
  • Help

Topic: Garritan Googled?

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation Garritan Googled?

Has anyone googled "garritan" recently?
    When I did, I noticed some of the quick links below the first result are strangely irrelevant.
    I just though maybe the web developers needed a heads up to change something.
    keep up the great libraries, I'm just going to download IO now!

Re: Garritan Googled?

Wow! Good catch!

Wonder if someone is holding a grudge! Someone should fix this fairly soon!
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

How odd. Anyone brave enough to click on that bogus link? I could see it was safe, because the little pop-up at the bottom left corner of my screen where it shows you the destination of a link, it indicated a page at the main Garritan site. I clicked it, and sure enough, it took me to the info page about GPO on the Garritan business site.

I don't get how something like that happens - with the bogus text showing up in a Google search --?

Randy

Exclamation Re: Garritan Googled?

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    How odd. Anyone brave enough to click on that bogus link? I could see it was safe, because the little pop-up at the bottom left corner of my screen where it shows you the destination of a link, it indicated a page at the main Garritan site. I clicked it, and sure enough, it took me to the info page about GPO on the Garritan business site.

I don't get how something like that happens - with the bogus text showing up in a Google search --?

Randy
    Hi Randy, Others,

Don't simply trust a McAfee site advisor (or equivalent) green light. This is a new type of problem - meaning it is one I haven't seen before.

What is happening here is that a dodgy site has planted a piece of code on the Garritan website with various Search Engine Optimisation techniques to force it to the fore in the results. What happens is that if you click on the link it will take you to the Garritan site, but then, depending on your browser settings it will redirect you to the site where you can buy all the penis-enlarging drugs you could ever want.

To prove it is a Garritan site issue and not a Google issue, you can go to yahoo.com and search for Garritan propecia. It will give you a Garritan link, but clicking on it will redirect you if your browser is set up for that.

Very bad...

Garritan website needs to be updated to remove these infiltrations or the whole website is effectively compromised by trust issues. And over time, the McAfee site advisor will pick up on the redirections as web bots crawl or users report. The result will be that the Garritan website itself will come up amber at best or red, depending on what is really going on at the other end of that link.

Could someone make sure that the Garritan web dudes are aware of this?

Sorry that you're seeing that, your explanation is pretty close to what happened. The Garritan site uses some different technologies that we are not using at MakeMusic, and we're still in transition with integrating a large customer base and webstore.

The Garritan web team's been working hard on making sure this never happens again, and please let us know if anyone notices anything odd again as well.
    Justin Phillips
    Senior Product Manager
    MakeMusic, Inc

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Phillips View Post
    Sorry that you're seeing that, your explanation is pretty close to what happened. The Garritan site uses some different technologies that we are not using at MakeMusic, and we're still in transition with integrating a large customer base and webstore.

The Garritan web team's been working hard on making sure this never happens again, and please let us know if anyone notices anything odd again as well.
    Thanks much for the report, Justin - I looked just now, and saw that the unrelated link no longer comes up when one uses "Garritan" as a Google search term. Good deal!

I did notice this, however - The top result, titled "Garritan Libraries" with a link to garritan.com, has this as the description showing on the Google results page:

"Developing instruments based on Kontakt software technology. Audio samples, features description, news and purchasing information..."

Kontakt?-- wow, that was years ago. I looked at the source code at the Garritan site, thinking I might find that text, but I don't. It's old site description info of some sort, and of course has nothing to do with Garritan software nowadays.

Could you please point that out to the Garritan web team?

Randy

Go Back to forum