• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Best sounding instruments in GPO4

Share/Bookmark

Best sounding instruments in GPO4

Hi,
    I own IO, but could someone tell me the strengths of GPO4? i.e in regards to quality of sounds..brass, wind? i'm looking for good brass/or wind instruments to make up a complete realistic sounding orchestra for mock Film scores. I have found it for £85 and if i get a good sounding wind or brass section then it's worth the money.
    I understand all samples need a good tweaking..but it helps if there are quite good out of the box.

thank you!

p.s i love the way aria works with cubase, bit smoother than kontakt imo

Re: Best sounding instruments in GPO4

Let your ears make the call: here's how the brass sounds for me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqh5mT6eB-U and here's some of the woodwind samples. You will hear english horn at the start and then you can hear the flute, oboe, and bassoon at 1:43 and then the clarinet with english horn at 1:59: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJsc8mmQpDE
    ~Rodney

I have GPO4 and IO also. Here's a piece that uses them both: https://www.box.com/s/06f4fef168b6ff468554 It will also give you another chance to hear another woodwind instrument, the contrabassoon. It features the horn samples also from GPO4.
    ~Rodney

Can anyone else share some brass and woodwind sounds? Maybe a band work?
    ~Rodney

Quote Originally Posted by composingatnight View Post
    Can anyone else share some brass and woodwind sounds? Maybe a band work?
    ~Rodney
    This piece for band uses GPO4 sounds and Garritan instruments for Finale sounds.

https://www.box.com/s/c5mj1sm3t29lsbcbtzxc

Norman

Thank you for posting your work Norman so we could hear some more samples of the winds and brass. I always like hearing new band works especially those that feature sections within the ensemble. Did you compose or arrange the main theme? Just wondering.
    ~Rodney

Quote Originally Posted by composingatnight View Post
    Thank you for posting your work Norman so we could hear some more samples of the winds and brass. I always like hearing new band works especially those that feature sections within the ensemble. Did you compose or arrange the main theme? Just wondering.
    ~Rodney
    The main theme is a Swedish folksong titled "Ack, Värmeland, du sköna". I think it is a very interesting and beautiful melody. I used my own chord progressions instead of the ones you usually hear.

Norman

thanks for sharing and effort, nice music!

i'll be listening some more to these pieces before i make my mind up. It seems no one else has an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by superquartet1 View Post
    thanks for sharing and effort, nice music!

i'll be listening some more to these pieces before i make my mind up. It seems no one else has an opinion.
    Here is something more specific.

I like the solo flute with and without vibrato. Here are two examples the first is slow and the second is fast.

https://www.box.com/s/ciubo1csecduin4dknk2
    https://www.box.com/s/v8m9bsb4ajatz9msze7n

The other woodwinds have all been excellent except I have yet to find a way to get a really nice bassoon vibrato. There is supposed to be a "hidden controller" for vibrato but I would prefer something that is not hidden.

In general I prefer the GPO SAM brass to the regular brass instruments (that is what is used in the band piece.), also, I find the roverlays for loud and aggressive playing in the horns and trumpets to be very useful. I have had difficulty getting really nice soft attacks from the regular tuba but have done better with the SAM tuba. This is a little disappointing because I have known several tubists who have the ability to play a really good pianissimo.

Garritan instruments for Finale contains an alto saxophone section that is not as good as I would like and the jazz tenor and baritone saxophones are not a good substitute for a good concert sax sound. I think the concert sax sounds in the Garritan Concert and Marching Band collection would be more useful in many film scoring situations when the desired effect is not "jazzy".

Norman

Norman

Quote Originally Posted by jandjnelson View Post

The other woodwinds have all been excellent except I have yet to find a way to get a really nice bassoon vibrato. There is supposed to be a "hidden controller" for vibrato but I would prefer something that is not hidden.
    AfterTouch! - The Beta team, of which I'm a member, is able to bring up topics on all of the Garritan Libraries, not just the un-released Libraries in development. I've had a request in for some time that AfterTouch be included on the GPO Controls tab of ARIA, because it doesn't make sense for GPO vibrato control to be "hidden." On the Controls tab, for the Bassoon, for instance, you'll see that CC17 controls vibrato speed, but there's no indication that AfterTouch is the thing that triggers vibrato in the first place.

In Garritan World, all the instruments with vibrato control available have the AT knob - so it would be more consistent for all Libraries to have that knob visible. The response from the developers is that they plan on including that knob in future GPO updates.

You're missing a lot - a very great deal in fact, if you're not using AT to control vibrato in GPO. That's the only way to get natural sounding trumpets, for instance.

Not all of the instruments respond to AT, it's kind of hit and miss. Like the Oboe solos have vibrato recorded as part of the sample.
    Quote Originally Posted by jandjnelson View Post
    In general I prefer the GPO SAM brass to the regular brass instruments (that is what is used in the band piece.), also, I find the roverlays for loud and aggressive playing in the horns and trumpets to be very useful. I have had difficulty getting really nice soft attacks from the regular tuba but have done better with the SAM tuba. This is a little disappointing because I have known several tubists who have the ability to play a really good pianissimo...
    Yes, the SAM Brass instruments were a very nice addition to GPO when it was updated to v. 4, but they are very aggressive instruments that don't blend as nicely as the original GPO brass. Coupled with the brass overlays, those original GPO brass instruments actually work better in classical scenarios mthan SAM.

AND when you use the overlays, you don't just turn them on and let them stay on all the time. The volume for overlays should be played independently of the instruments they're doubling, on their own MIDI track. Copy the MIDI data for the brass instrument into a new track, erase the CC1 volume data, and bring the volume in and out for the overlays on the forte passages.

EDIT: Here's page 73 of the GPO manual about vibrato. Note that you can search any topic you want in the PDF manual, using the search bar at the top of your PDF reader:

"Vibrato Control: Non-vibrato (NonVib) solo woodwind and brass instruments have vibrato control. There are two vibrato controllers: Aftertouch (controls vibrato intensity) and Controller CC#17 (controls the vibrato speed). Using these controls, vibrato can be added to a solo part with natural variations in entrance timing, speed variations, and intensity.

• Hidden Aftertouch (aka Channel Pressure) Vibrato Intensity: Many keyboards send Aftertouch data when finger pressure on a key is varied while the key is held. Aftertouch data is used to adjust the vibrato intensity of an NonVib instrument. This controller data can also be
    “drawn” into MIDI tracks manually.

• Vibrato Speed Controller CC#17: This controller, when used in conjunction with Aftertouch, will vary the vibrato speed. CC#17 can be assigned to an available slider or knob on a hardware keyboard to give real-time control. This controller data can also be “drawn” into MIDI tracks manually.

It is important to be aware that the vibrato features do not apply to any instruments with naturally recorded vibrato in the samples (such as stringed instruments). Instruments that have vibrato control will display a knob labeled “VibSpd(CC17)” in the Instrument Controls on the Controls tab of the interface.

Note:

M-Audio and some other keyboards often use CC#131 as a substitute for Aftertouch when the keyboard model doesn’t have Aftertouch sensitivity built in. A programmable slider on the keyboard can be assigned to CC#131 and the keyboard will output Aftertouch data."
    -------------------------------------------
    This information is listed in several other parts of the manual also.

I'm also looking for the list of GPO instruments with available vibrato control. That list has been posted several times over the years. I haven't located it yet. But the manual's tip for looking on the control page for the CC17 knob is good.

Randy

Go Back to forum