• Register
  • Help

Topic: AO Strings Octave Orientation question

AO Strings Octave Orientation question

This is probably a stupid question, but I.ve just purchased the AO Strings and I\'m trying to understand the octave orientation. When I write a melody in Encore or Finale around C4 the violin samples play it where it sounds. The cello \"Key\" samples play it down an octave and the cello XFD samples play it down 2 octaves. As a result a cello part sounds different depending on which sample set I utilize. Is this the way it\'s designed or did I do something weird.

Re: AO Strings Octave Orientation question

I know, it is a side effect of the smart acess because C1-D#2 are reserved for key control and I started the multisamples as close as possible to this range, because control keys and sound must fit into a 6 octave keyboard. Workaround: Take the vibrato strings covering the whole keyrange as reference sound and compare them with the other instruments to find the right offset.
    If I find time, I will create a octave orientation table and post it here and on the best service server, but this will take a while, Ia am very busy this moment.
    If you use Logic, create a AO setup environment with presettet tuning values for the instruments. All this work may need a little time, but just it have to do once!

How difficult would it be to remap the bass instruments to use the upper range of the keyboard as the control points instead of the lower end thereby allowing the samples to sound where they are written?

not too complicated. In instrument editor / instrument properties adjust the control key range to the keys you want, then check \"retune regions when dragging = ON\" im the preferences menue, select all regions, hold down the strg-key and move the regions to their place 2 be.
    But, please, make a sequencer setup, really, it is the professional and more flexible way to work. The power of this control key thing is that all mappings are the same and therefore editing is transparent.

Please elaborate on your last sentence \"The power of this control key thing is that all mappings are the same and therefore editing is transparent\". Why is it transparent? How is this an advantage if each track has to be edited individually anyway?

By the way, Thanks for the remapping tip.....it really is quite easy.

it is possible to create a setup and use it for all AO instruments. I created instruments/transformers and adjusted everything well once (prg-changes->control keys, notes are filtered on control area, control area visible in hyper draw to set prg change events which swith the techniques) and can use it on every AO instrument. No need to change or adapt parameters between different instruments. In a big arrangement it is fine to have this structure. Example: You progrmmed a line with violas and like to hear how this complex line sounds played with violins? just change the GIG, the control works also fine on violins.

Go Back to forum