• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Debussy: Nocturnes, 1st movement, "Nuages"

Share/Bookmark

Debussy: Nocturnes, 1st movement, "Nuages"

No Mahler this time, something light and easy for a change

From Claude Debussy's "Nocturnes" the first movement: Nuages.
    The main challenges in this piece are the long solo notes, which unfortunately reveal looping artefacts of the samples.

http://www.indabamusic.com/asset/show/1750563

Compared to most recordings, my tempo is faster. For one reason, because those looping artefacts become quite annoying when the music is played too slowly. But also, I like when there is a bit of forward motion, "nicht schleppen" as Mahler would say...

Hope you enjoy this new rendition!

Re: Debussy: Nocturnes, 1st movement, "Nuages"

Hi Reinhold,

More, expertly performed and rendered music ... just beautiful.

I wasn't focusing on the sample loop points so I didn't notice them, even if they are there. The overall effect is very nice.

I wouldn't say this is "light and easy" LOL ... very brooding and atmospheric for sure! But I understand you are comparing it to your previous Mahler work; yes, relatively "light and easy".

Thanks for posting this; I enjoyed the listen!

Frank

Thank you, Frank!

The "light and easy" was meant somewhat ironically
    but it also could refer to the amount of effort I needed to put into it: I started on Saturday evening, worked on Sunday, then Monday evening. The recent Mahler movement I had started in January, and completed it 4 months later.

The amount of effort is often mostly a function of the amount of notes: few long notes and long breaks make for a good progress in creating the rendition.

Light and easy also would refer to the instrumentation: there were fewer sequencer tracks necessary, only two horns, a few different strings, and no doubling or tripling woodwinds. The Noctures' instrumentation appears quite light and transparent, but nevertheless the effect is phenomenal: absolutely gorgeous chords and harmonies.

Glad you liked this!

I am having a LOT of trouble with my computer these days...
    for some strange reason, the vast majority of music from this forum I can't access.

and this is very unfortunate, I'd have loved to hear how well GPO handles the music of Debussy.

so, no matter what I do, either Mozilla Firefox or internet Explorer, nothing will let me play the music.

Wonderful, superb even - love the way you do such an excellent job of doing virtual instrument versions of classical music, Reinhold. - I couldn't detect looping problems - do you mean in GPO instruments?

Thanks for sharing so much with us.

Randy

Superbly done! There is a lot of nuance, and beautiful separation of lines - indeed, it sounds very clear, very colorful, and for want of a better term, very French ( I hope Debussy would approve!). This shows GPO off to great advantage - it should be put on the Demo page for a great example of what this library can do with capable ears (and patience).

Bravo!!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    for some strange reason, the vast majority of music from this forum I can't access.

and this is very unfortunate, I'd have loved to hear how well GPO handles the music of Debussy.

so, no matter what I do, either Mozilla Firefox or internet Explorer, nothing will let me play the music.

It might be that your computer does not have a proper installation of Flash. The site I am hosting the music (Indaba) uses a Flash-based player, and so do a couple of other site. Maybe download the latest Flash player from Adobe.

Or try using Google Chrome, that has a flash player built-in.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Wonderful, superb even - love the way you do such an excellent job of doing virtual instrument versions of classical music, Reinhold. - I couldn't detect looping problems - do you mean in GPO instruments?

Thanks for sharing so much with us.

Randy
    Hi Randy,

the looping issue only appears twice: one single long note on a solo violin, and one on the F# of the English Horn, where the looping seems to be not matched - there is a slight jump in volume. I managed to mask it with other instruments, and I also have already an idea how to remove it completely, with a bit of crossfading between two samples of that instrument;

it is barely audible, but with my headphones I can clearly hear this looping problem above the other instrument background.

All the instruments I am using here are from GPO4.

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl View Post
    Superbly done! There is a lot of nuance, and beautiful separation of lines - indeed, it sounds very clear, very colorful, and for want of a better term, very French ( I hope Debussy would approve!). This shows GPO off to great advantage - it should be put on the Demo page for a great example of what this library can do with capable ears (and patience).

Bravo!!

Thanks, Ron!

Debussy's music is among my favorites, and already for a long while I wanted to create a rendition.
    Basically all the music I am recording with this method, is music that I really like and enjoy. If the licencing laws would allow this, I would also record some Prokofjev, Stravinsky, and Bartok... but as the law is right now, I would have to pay for any rendition which I publish (in the US that would be buying a mechanical licence from the Harry fox Agency).

Debussy's music has not many instructions in the score, most of it I have to add myself. In very strong contrast to Mahler: there are so much instructions, all of which I of course obey to the letter. But with Debussy, I had to "make up" more interpretative features myself, for example the significant tempo changes within each measure, slowing down to the end. This was the first time I have applied this technique, because when listening to the music, it really "shouts" for this kind of treatment. Maybe that makes it typical French?

Yes, I would not mind if this music would be used on a demo page for Garritan samples.

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post

You may try to access from this page:
    http://www.virtualphilharmonic.co.uk...nes_Nuages.php

On that page there is an "alternative" download method using HTML5 instead of flash (also does not always work properly...), you might give this a try.

Also, there is that painting by artist Paula Arciniega, who has wonderfully visualized the music of Nocturnes. She also has about 20 such paintings about Mahler's symphonies http://paulaarciniega.com/category/the-mahler-project/

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast