• Register
  • Help

Topic: MV versus AO : which CD's to choose ?

MV versus AO : which CD\'s to choose ?

Hi !

I\'m new in Music and wandering which collection is the best. I have some friends who uses MV with only Hardware samplers, and read some messages about the good quality of AO collection. Nevertheless, I\'d like to buy the best with the cheapest price (i\'m still a student who can\'t afford too much). Is it possible to have more information about which CD\'s of each collection to choose.
    Maybe this precision is important : I want to make a classical orchetration added to buitism parts within.
    Thanx for advice,

Winsted, CT

Re: MV versus AO : which CD\'s to choose ?

Though not totaly current, this book is very informative. It has detailed descriptions of both MV and AO.

\"The Guide to MIDI Orchestration\"
    by Paul Gileath

I got it from Amazon.

hi jam,

i guess you will need a compete orchestra package to start and therefore I recommend you to use AO because the package contains everything and it is optimized for Gigasampler. Vitos sounds great, no question, but it is more a luxury additional to AO for me because it doesn´t contain all the important special play techniques (grace, glissandi) and it´s only AKAI, so one sound uses one MIDI-slot, and so a realistic violin setup consumes up to 10 MIDI channels...

I don´t know If you read my AO posts I did these weeks, therefore In the following I post a short AO description again:

AO is in native GS format and optimized for efficient work with GS. Example is the key dimension controll and the crossfade features giving you fast and direct realtime acess to many play techniques and you can now load a full orchestra with all play techniques on 16 Midi Channels (therefore I recommend 512 Mb RAM). I added legato versions to the sets, improved the whole tuning, problematic sounds of the old library are fixed (e.g. crescendi (flutes!) have constant tuning now, many noises on the woodwinds are reduced, all attacks are optimized for a more orchestral sound and the percussions are available as user friendly sets, with looped tremoli and additional release sounds.
    Vitos: Available as AKAI, GS version MAY comes end of this year. Importing will cause many loops klicking and masses of small GIG´s with cryptic AKAI names. To get the full playing range of only the Violins e.g. you need over 8 Midi Channels, because every technique has to be loaded to a seperate \"slot\".

Vitos sounds great, no question, warm, full sounding strings. But if you mix vitos togheter with other instruments you will find there is too less structure in the sound. In AO you have more details (slight bow noises etc.) which make the mix sound more realistic.
    AO contains a additional pre-mixed f/mp vibrato string set, which sounds very vitos like and very rich and provides crossfading f/mp for natural articulations
    All AO string sounds available with short, natural decay for bound phrases and with long release for atmospheric sounds often used in scoring
    The solo strings now get natural expression by using key dim/crossfade techniques.

I do all my basic work with AO, because it´s fast and highly optimized. The richness of sound is great. I add the vitos strings or the AO vibrato strings to the final arrangement, simply to enhance the richness of the whole sound.

Many Thanks to you Bill and Holger !
    AO seems really to be the best choice, also when comparing the price with MV.
    What you said Holger about the violin is very interesting. It\'s really important for me to use a lot of strings, so if I need at least 10 tracks with MV it will be impossible to add a lot.

Well said. The Miroslav is a luxury item (GigaSampler format finnaly in August if all goes well, using the keyswitching access which by the way was Miroslav\'s idea that we incorporated) AO covers effects and playing techniques that no other library does. It also has some of the best staccatos and short articulations for certain playing styles. Like I said in an ealier post, Miroslav has the most beautifull long note sustains and AO has the most usefull attacks and staccatos and various effects. As you get more gigs, you will want to check into the Miroslav String Ensembles. That would be the main disk you would want to get and it should be in GigaSampler format fairly soon.
    Take care
    Dave of NemeSys

Winsted, CT

While we’re on the subject, I’m curious about the woodwind ensembles. Most orchestral literature calls for woodwinds by 2’s or by 4’s. Both MV and AO group sections in 3’s. I’m also noticing that AO has no section programs for oboes and bassoons, only solo. Am I missing something?

MV or AO strings?

What about \"The Virtuoso Series Strings\"
    by Kirk Hunter?

Heard that you can do amazingly realistic section slides.

See if AO or MV can match that!!!

Go Back to forum